This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of…

This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession (edition 2007)

by Daniel J. Levitin

Title:This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession
Authors:Daniel J. Levitin
Info:Plume/Penguin (2007), Paperback, 322 pages
Tags:science, brain, music, psychology

This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin

Very interesting. Never did finish because I wanted to ingest it and that took longer than the library would let me keep it for. Love the science angle.
  mateideyr | Jul 17, 2015 |
I liked that this book started with a primer on music and then moved into the neurology involved in listening to music. This was a really interesting book and I'm wondering if my guitar-playing son would appreciate it. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
La materia riveste sicuro interesse, e gli aneddoti musicali sono buffi. La parte neurologica è invece per me assai noiosa, anche se l'autore ce la mette tutta per renderla intelleggibile, simpatica e discorsiva.

Codice Edizioni sembra comunque gravida di titoli interessanti. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
This is another of those books well worth finishing that I simply didn't finish. I allowed myself to be sidetracked by other books.
But it's a fascinating book. After a detailed analysis of the elements that comprise music, the author looks carefully at how music affect the brain and its emotions. It's filled with fascinating factoids about the nuances of popular recordings.
But I didn't finish it. Shame on me. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Sep 15, 2014 |
A professional musician turned neuroscientist explains to non-musicians and non-scientists how our brains process, recall, and react to auditory stimuli and why music plays such a key role in cultures around the world. While the majority of the information is accessible for lay people without formal psychology, medical, or musical training, I found some of the chord discussions confusing to digest using text alone--seeing the arrangements on an illustration of printed sheet music or the neck of a guitar would have been a big help. Bottom Line: Levitin's interesting, insightful, and well-composed book definitely got my neurotransmitters humming--recommend! ( )
  dele2451 | Feb 21, 2014 |
I love science, and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awed by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and reinvigorate it.
--Robert Sapolsky, "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers", p. xii
In the summer of 1969, when I was eleven, I bought a stereo system at the local hi-fi shop.

Music, Science, and the Brain are more closely related than you think.  Daniel J. Levitin, James McGill Professor of Psychology and Music at McGill University, shows you why this is.

In this groundbreaking union of art and science, rocker-turned-neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin (The World in Six Songs) explores the connection between music, its performance, its composition, how we listen to it, why we enjoy it, and the human brain. Drawing on the latest research and on musical examples ranging from Mozart to Duke Ellington to Van Halen, Levitin reveals:

How composers produce some of the most pleasurable effects of listening to music by exploiting the way our brains make sense of the world Why we are so emotionally attached to the music we listened to as teenagers, whether it was Fleetwood Mac, U2, or Dr. Dre That practice, rather than talent, is the driving force behind musical expertise How those insidious little jingles (called earworms) get stuck in our head Taking on prominent thinkers who argue that music is nothing more than an evolutionary accident, Levitin poses that music is fundamental to our species, perhaps even more so than language. A Los Angeles Times Book Award finalist, This Is Your Brain on Music will attract readers of Oliver Sacks, as it is an unprecedented, eye-opening investigation into an obsession at the heart of human nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:01 -0400)

Explores the relationship between the mind and music by drawing on recent findings in the fields of neuroscience and evolutionary psychology to discuss such topics as the sources of musical tastes and the brain's responses to music.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible