On the Grid: A Plot of Land, An Average…

by Scott Huler

Member:mfagan
Title:On the Grid: A Plot of Land, An Average Neighborhood, and the Systems that Make Our World Work
Authors:Scott Huler
Info:Rodale Books (2010), Edition: aFirst Edition First Printing, Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

On the Grid: A Plot of Land, An Average Neighborhood, and the Systems that Make Our World Work by Scott Huler

Reasonably entertaining look at the unnoticed systems that make most parts of the US much more livable (as long as we maintain them, which we pretty much aren’t …). Focusing on Raleigh, North Carolina, Huler investigates sewer pipes, water connections, electric wires, and road systems, pointing out the ways in which we depend on these large endeavors and the continual maintenance work of people whose expertise is largely invisible. If you like infrastructure, worth a read. ( )
  rivkat | May 9, 2015 |

Investigates the systems of infrastructure that sustain the world and the cultures of historical periods, following various elements, from electricity and pavement to water and waste disposal, back to their origins and people who operate them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible