The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton

The Sixth Surrender

by Hana Samek Norton

478247,300 (3)1

I really wanted to like it because I love the setting, and there are a couple of interesting characters.

Info-dumping, head-hopping, clumsy, clumsy, clumsy.

I gave it 20 chapters then gave up.

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
Hana Samek Norton joins the popular historical fiction scene with The Sixth Surrender, a spellbinding, lovely debut for historical fiction/historical romance readers.

Set in the thirteen century, young Juliana (also known as Sister Eustace) lives a content life as a humble nun, but as the only heir to Tillieres, she desires to protect and keep her home which, of course, requires that she marry. Not only must she marry, but Juliana must pledge herself to the powerful French queen, Alienor (also known as Eleanor) of Aquitaine. It's not long until Juliana is swept into Alienor's complex court plots and intrigues while having to juggle an unloving and abusive husband who only wants to be rid of her.

Norton paints a fascinating and detailed portrait of thirteenth century life, as well as three-dimensional characters that grow with the turn of each page. Juliana, for example, begins as a meek, timid and frankly uninteresting character who doesn't fight back. But as the story unfolds, she asserts her wants and grows stronger. I was particularly happy to see this, especially since her growth felt natural on the page. Juliana's husband, Guerin, is despicable for the majority of the novel, but ends up in a much better place by the end.

Speaking of the end, while I enjoyed the novel, I actually had mixed feelings about the ending. On one level is was unsatisfying, but on further reflection it was a sweet, almost soap opera-like that romance fans should enjoy.
  BookAddictDiary | Jan 24, 2011 |
From my book review blog Rubndpinne..."Masterfully complex and compelling, The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton is a delightfully complicated look at the tumultuous times of 13th century England and France. " The full review may be read here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/11/book-review-and-tour-the-sixth-surrender-by-han... ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Nov 15, 2010 |
As a book reviewer, I read LOTS of genres by many, many different authors, so when I signed up to read The Sixth Surrender, to me it was excitement because I don't review books like this one, much. I am pleased to say that this novel met my tastes and it did not disappoint!

I was instantly taken with this novel, both with the beautifully created characters and with the writing style of Hana Samek Norton. I was confused a bit during the first few chapters because of the terminology used from that time period of 1200, but, I pushed myself past all that, and WOW! It really packed an intense punch for me. after that. I was totally one of the many people of the story. It came alive to me, as I walked about the medieval streets with Juliana, LaSalle, and the queen Duchess. That feeling was simply breathtaking.

Juliana was my favorite character. She was so real to me, like a sister, or a close, close friend. So much so, that I felt all of what she endured, from pain and heartache to love and passion. She was a brave woman in my eyes.

LaSalle, on the other hand, hmmmm....I was mad at him more often than not! He was certainly not my first choice as a husband for poor Juliana. But, the story would not be the same without his daring character and by the end of this incredible historical novel, I am happy that his truth finally came forth.

There is, however, one downside to this amazing book. There is some language and mild, mild talk of passionate moments(definitely not OVERLY detailed like some books published now a days). But, know this was not of the Christian variety, I was able to go into the story with an open heart, and overlooked it.

This book is fictional, yes. But, the power and vivid detail that Norton uses, and the research put forth for this novel, feels like a true story and is worthy of 5 stars. I definitely recommend this book and I can't wait for another book like from this fantastic author-perhaps a sequel??? ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Nov 11, 2010 |
This book is just completely insane, and I mean that in a good way. The plot is incredible and has a lot of surprises. It is well written and the characters are very interesting. I was pulled in from the first chapter and just didn't want to put this book down.

The Sixth Surrender reminded me a lot of The Queen's Lady (Thornleigh, #1) by Barbara Kyle and if you like Philippa Gregory, there is a really good chance you will like this book too. ( )
  mesmericrevelation | Sep 17, 2010 |

Read Hana Samek Norton's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

A transporting debut novel set in thirteenth century France-a time when chivalry reigned and treachery ruled

In the last years of her eventful life, queen-duchess Aliénor of Aquitaine launches a deadly dynastic chess game to safeguard the crowns of Normandy and England for John Plantagenet, her last surviving son.

To that end, Aliénor coerces into matrimony two pawns-Juliana de Charnais, a plain and pious novice determined to regain her inheritance, and Guérin de lasalle, a cynical, war-worn mercenary equally resolved to renounce his.

The womanizing Lasalle and the proud Juliana are perfectly matched for battle not love-until spies and assassins conspire to reverse their romantic fortunes.

Populated by spirited and intelligent women and executed in flawless period detail, The Sixth Surrender is a compelling love story that heralds the arrival of a major new talent in historical fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible