The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner by…

The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (3.5)

4,4772281,094 (3.39)1 / 90

English (212)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  All (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (228)
Hmmm...This particular installlment follows the least intriguing character presented. Also, knowing the ending well before it happens certainly lessens its impact. I wish we'd followed Diego or Fred instead. They had far more personality. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 13, 2017 |
You could tell this was banged out as quickly as possible. Her heart didn't seem in it. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Nice little slice of the Twilight world. It was interesting to see more of the newborns and how they lived. Poor Bree begins to question things. I'd enjoying see more about Fred. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 8, 2016 |
This was an interesting take on the short life of the Newborns from the war in Eclipse. I thought it was pretty good considering it was a side story, my only negative comment is that Stephenie Meyer seems to try an make everything into a love story. This is all well an good, but really did she have to do it again in a short story? I think it could have been fine without that aspect since it doesn't really get developed all that much.

But like I said it was a nice side story and if you enjoyed the series you may as well add it to your collection and some of the money goes to charity, not into her pocket. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book could have been an interesting concept. While I really couldn't see the point in giving Bree - a character who existed for all of five seconds in Eclipse - her own book, it could have been a way to explore the other side of the coin. The Cullens describe Newborns as being feral and uncontrollable. This is what I expected to see. But this isn't what I got at all.

Bree is really a watered down (and somewhat dim) Bella Swan. She's the special snowflake who isn't like all the other Newborns and is surprisingly in control of her savage side despite only being three months old. The first half of the novella follows her first meeting with Diego, an older Newborn who she falls in love with at first sight. The two of them discover that Riley and Victoria (the benefactor that they only know as "Her") have been feeding them lies about vampire weaknesses. They decide that Riley will be glad to hear the "good news" that vampires can go out in daylight and everything goes downhill from there.

Really, this story is really only one for huge fans of the series. It does not standalone or serve any real purpose to flesh out the world. We don't discover anything that we didn't already know about vampires. This could have even been a point to finally show the huge battle that Bella missed at the end of Eclipse but, somehow, Bree also manages not to see any of this despite being on the front line!

I personally spent most of the story wondering if Bree could get any stupider. I mean, she continued following Riley even after she knew that she knew that he was actively lying to her. And, somehow, she blinded herself to what happened to Diego despite the fact that it should have been blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes! Really, for a short book, this frustrated me far more than it should have. I really am glad that this is Bree's only story. Unless you're a huge Twilight fan, I'd suggest avoiding this. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Sep 4, 2016 |
Meyer's work is both celebrated and castigated for the fact that the supernatural element is entirely incidental. Take away bloodsucking and mind-reading, and the story of the handsome suitor, his fiery rival and the girl they both wish to protect and claim chugs along as easily as it has for hundreds of years. But in "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner," this narrative apparatus is missing -- and without it, Meyer is a bit at sea.

Its few promising moments – Bree's pleasure when no humans interrupt a special moment with Diego, because "all the screaming would have ruined the mood", a chillingly thorough massacre of a whole ferry-load of people – are insufficient to redeem it from being woefully, leaden-footedly pedestrian throughout. In fact, the most interesting thing about it is the cover.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hermoso Oliveras, Julio IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pujol i Valls, NúriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Asya Muchnick and Meghan Hibbett
The newspaper headline glared at me from a little metal vending machine: SEATTLE UNDER SIEGE - DEATH TOLL RISES AGAIN.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031612558X, Hardcover)

Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:18 -0400)

In this devastating story, Bree Tanner--a character introduced in Eclipse--and the newborn vampire army prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,068,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible