Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

Brother Odd (2006)

by Dean Koontz

English (83)  Spanish (1)  All (84)
This was one of my favorite Odd Thomas books. I loved the concept, location, and story. The only thing is that the further I go into this series, the more long-winded Dean Koontz seems to get. I keep reading the books for the great story, but sometimes it feels like a real struggle to get through his verbose passages. He could really use a good editor to simplify a lot of what he says to get to the thick of the story. ( )
  SarahStroud | May 22, 2017 |
3.5 stars

It’s been awhile since I read the previous book in this series, so maybe I’m mistaken, but to me, this book felt freakier than the others. It’s pretty creepy. There’s an evil monster made of bones of joints attacking the monastery where Odd went to chill from his crazy life. It seems that he just can’t take a break from saving the innocent. I liked it, and I will be continuing the series. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: Brother Odd Series: Odd Thomas Author: Dean Koontz Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: Urban Fantasy Pages: 330 Synopsis: Odd is at a monastery, trying to clear his head after the events in the last 2 books. This monastery is also a home to severely hurt children and when bodachs begin showing up, Odd knows something bad is in the offing. At the same time, a run in with a creature that is apparently Death AND in our physical world makes Odd question everything he knows about this world and the next. My Thoughts: This was a bit of an odd duck [no pun intended] as a book. Quantum mechanics mix with the paranormal and make for a very "what is going on" kind of experience. Odd is still pretty tormented by Stormy's death and just can't get over it. That really sets the tone for the book and everything isn't as light hearted as the previous two. Odd's commentary is as quirky and quick as ever, but it isn't the same. The bone monsters were pretty cool monsters, even if what they actually were and their motives weren't explained right up until the end. My only quibble is on a theological note. Odd is at a Monastery with some very devout and very smart people and yet no one debates with him about his little pet theology about the afterlife. Or the fact that he can talk to dead people. It just struck me as odd [there's that word again!] that this wasn't brought up, because it would be a MAJOR point of contention with any serious Christian. Of course, I also realize this is a book and Koontz can do as he pleases, but still... Overall, I enjoyed this even while wondering where it was going to go almost the entire time. Definitely going to keep reading the series. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Review: Brother Odd by Dean Koontz.

As of book one of this series I liked the idea of the majestic appearance and development of the character, Odd Thomas. However, this being the third book I find it wordier than the usual Dean Koontz’s materializing a mythology of supernatural event story. I didn’t learn anything new about the bodocs or any new thrilling raw nature of an aftermath to any adventure or events that would have kept the reader greatly interested till the end but still I feel it was worth the read.

Lacking a spontaneous brighter thriller I believe the humor carried the pages forward to the end. I liked the setting among the monastery but the monks and nuns characters could have brought more to that kind of life style. When I think of a monastery I think of dark crevices, creepy moments but Koontz held back on bringing that kind of a feel to life. With Odd Thomas in that setting and with his different gifted talents could have brought the story to a higher level in my weird imagination.

The actual plot didn’t hold up to what I was expecting. Koontz just didn’t have enough going on to make it a high rated book. I did enjoy the book even with it’s flaws and I will carry on and read the next novel in the series…..“Odd Hours”
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Teach us...
To give and not to count the cost;
To fight and not to heed the wounds;
To toil and not to seek for rest...
--St. Ignatius Loyola
To some folks I've known a long time and admire because they do good work and are good people: Peter Styles, Richard Boukes, Bill Anderson (Hello, Danielle), Dave Gaulke, and Tom Fenner (Hello, Gabriella, Katia, and Troy). We'll have a fine party on the Other Side, but let's not be in a hurry.
Embraced by stone, steeped in silence, I sat at the high window as the third day of the week surrendered to the fourth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589105, Mass Market Paperback)

Loop me in, odd one. The words, spoken in the deep of night by a sleeping child, chill
the young man watching over her. For this was a favorite phrase of Stormy Llewellyn,
his lost love, and Stormy is dead, gone forever from this world. In the haunted halls of
the isolated monastery where he had sought peace, Odd Thomas is stalking spirits of an infinitely darker nature

Through two New York Times bestselling novels Odd Thomas has established himself as one of the most beloved and unique fictional heroes of our time. Now, wielding all the power and magic of a master storyteller at the pinnacle of his craft, Dean Koontz follows Odd into a singular new world where he hopes to make a fresh beginning—but where he will meet an adversary as old and inexorable as time itself.

St. Bartholomew’s Abbey sits in majestic solitude amid the wild peaks of California’s high Sierra, a haven for children otherwise abandoned, and a sanctuary for those seeking insight. Odd Thomas has come here to learn to live fully again, and among the eccentric monks, their other guests, and the nuns and young students of the attached convent school, he has begun to find his way. The silent spirits of the dead who visited him in his earlier life are mercifully absent, save for the bell-ringing Brother Constantine and Odd’s steady companion, the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

But trouble has a way of finding Odd Thomas, and it slinks back onto his path in the form of the sinister bodachs he has met previously, the black shades who herald death and disaster, and who come late one December night to hover above the abbey’s most precious charges. For Odd is about to face an enemy who eclipses any he has yet encountered, as he embarks on a journey of mystery, wonder, and sheer suspense that surpasses all that has come before.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:33 -0400)

Leaving Pico Mundo, the small desert town in which he has spent his life, Odd Thomas, a hero who lives between the living and the dead, seeks the peaceful solitude of an isolated monastery high in the western mountains, but he soon finds himself confronting an evil killer stalking the ancient, holy halls of his sanctuary.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,397,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible