Brother Odd (Odd Thomas) by Dean Koontz

Brother Odd (Odd Thomas) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Dean Koontz (Author)

St. Bartholomew's Abbey sits in majestic solitude amid the wild peaks of California's high Sierra, a haven for children otherwise abandoned, and a sanctuary for those seeking insight. Odd Thomas has come here to learn to live fully again. But trouble has a way of finding Odd Thomas, and it slinks back onto his path.… (more)
Member:Rempala
Title:Brother Odd (Odd Thomas)
Authors:Dean Koontz (Author)
Info:Bantam (2006), 384 pages
Collections:Pre - 2014
Rating:*****

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz (2006)

English (87)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
I have been thinking for a long time about reading a book about Odd Thomas. Although I thought I would rather start with the first book in this series, but it so happened that I started with this one. And that wasn't a big deal.

What surprised me the most in this book is its poetic angle. There are many sophisticated comparisons and poetic descriptions here. I didn't expect it at all. This is not something you usually see in thrillers. I don't think I have read any other book by this author, so I don't know if it's just a matter of this series or of Koontz's writing style in general, but it's undoubtedly interesting and different.

Another thing that surprised me is that this book is on the border between thriller and horror. At moments with the strong presence of the latter. I don't know why I didn't expect it, since the main genre of this book on Goodreads is horror. I don't think I checked it out. In general, I rather avoid horror books and movies, I don't like to be afraid. Elements of horror in this book were not the most terrifying I have encountered but it was not always an easy read for me.

After all, I definitely like Odd. He is such an interesting character that I was even not disturbed by the first-person narration, which I usually don’t like very much. This is only the third book in this series, so I do not rule out that I will also read the previous two books to get to know Odd better. And although this book referred to the events of the previous one (the second one?), there are no details and I doubt that I would remember it for some time.

As for the story, some ideas reminded me of some other book I read a few years ago. I'm not sure, but I think it was either Dan Brown or Douglas Preston / Lincoln Child duo. Of course, I mean this God plus science thing. But of course it's hard to get a completely new concept because everything has already been written before. And here it doesn't bother me either.

All in all, this book is rather on the edge of my typical comfort zone but it is fine. One day I will probably read other books from this series, the first one is already on my TBR pile I think. ( )
  Sarielle | Jan 15, 2020 |
The dialog alone is worth reading. Smart, sassy, vibrant. Koontz has created a character with infinite possibilities and then takes him to the far reaches of faith and science taking the reader along for the thrill ride. ( )
  JoniMFisher | Sep 19, 2019 |
I love Odd's odd point of view. His relationship with Elvis is great. He goes to a monastery to relax and help a poltergeist move on. And of course odd things begin to happen. ( )
  nx74defiant | Oct 5, 2018 |
Long, drawn out and pretty ridiculous. Frank Sinatra? Really? I don't know why I keep reading these. I enjoyed the first one, but each one since hasn't lived up to my expectations. I think I'm going to try one more and then move on if it doesn't pick up. Odd is the Sookie Stackhouse of the dead. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |
I think I missed a tiny bit in the middle of this one, but it was really good (better than Forever Odd, if we're being honest). I loved the incorporation of science and religion, and the characters were wonderful (THE RUSSIAN, OMG, I
I am sad about Elvis moving on, he's been one of my favorite characters, but I was super excited to see that we get Frank Sinatra and Boo in his place! So, it was bitter sweet, but overall I was satisfied with the end of Elvis' story :) ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kleinschmidt, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teach us...
To give and not to count the cost;
To fight and not to heed the wounds;
To toil and not to seek for rest...
--St. Ignatius Loyola
To some folks I've known a long time and admire because they do good work and are good people: Peter Styles, Richard Boukes, Bill Anderson (Hello, Danielle), Dave Gaulke, and Tom Fenner (Hello, Gabriella, Katia, and Troy). We'll have a fine party on the Other Side, but let's not be in a hurry.
Embraced by stone, steeped in silence, I sat at the high window as the third day of the week surrendered to the fourth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible