Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels) by Dean…

Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Dean Koontz

Member:elsebeok
Title:Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels)
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:novel, suspense, series, Odd Thomas

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz (2006)

With every book to this saga I'm left wanting more!!! A must read! ( )
  kat32969 | Mar 26, 2015 |
I've enjoyed many of Koontz' books. This, one of the Odd Thomas series, was not my favorite. ( )
  turtlesleap | Mar 21, 2015 |
This was one of my favorite Odd Thomas books. I definitely enjoyed it very much as it was completely unexpected and Dean Koontz keeps coming up with something fresh for a character that has become much beloved! Must Read! ( )
  prplhez8 | Feb 24, 2015 |
Life you can evade; death you cannot.

Brother Odd was all about Odd getting some distance and, eventually, facing his purpose. It also touched on man accepting that science (and mad scientists) are just as destructive as religion (and God). In this one, Odd was a bit too witty and irreverent for my tastes, and a lot of the dialogue came across as staged conversations. The premise was fun right up to the climax, which was all of like 10 pages. The power of thoughts, as evidenced by their use in Creation, interesting. The bad guy also seemed a bit too easy to figure out for a story by Dean Koontz. For fans of Odd Thomas, I'd say you could skip this one and not be missing much.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Feb 19, 2015 |
Brother Odd is Dean Koontz's redemption piece after the fiasco that was Forever Odd, whether or not the author thinks so is beside the point. He redeemed himself in my eyes. Everything I hated from the second book is thankfully absent from the third, while everything I adored about the first book returns in abundance.

Odd doesn't have to spend 120 pages walking this time around because he's already at the site of the book's action. I have read other reviews that complain about the story line being too far-fetched, but when going into a read about a dude that sees dead people and hangs with Elvis's ghost, I tend to expect outlandish plots and ideas. I refuse to spoil anything this time around because there is much to be given away.

While reading Brother Odd I came to understand why I loathed Forever Odd so much. In Forever Odd, there is almost no character interaction, and what little there is concerns characters I couldn't care less about. In Brother Odd, there's an abundance of quirky characters you can grow to love and worry about. Each one is unique. Most do not even require dialogue tags because Dean fleshes out their tones and deliveries so well. That's what I loved about the first book, the characters. In Forever Odd there are a total of five characters throughout 99% of the book. The villain and her two henchmen, a disabled friend of Odd's so forgettable Dean didn't bother mentioning him in book one or book three, and Odd, himself.

The most remarkable quality of this book, though, is the humor. I received many a strange look from my wife during spontaneous outbursts of laughter. I remember Odd Thomas being laugh-out-loud-funny, and Brother Odd returns to the sarcastic, witty tone of the original. I think I laughed twice throughout the second book, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to laugh where I did.

Read Odd Thomas, skip Forever Odd, and pick up Brother Odd. Trust me, you aren't missing much if you overlook book two.I have no idea what purpose Forever Odd has in the world of Odd Thomas. Though Dean goes into great detail about the happenings of the first book inside the pages of Brother Odd, there is but one mention in one tiny paragraph concerning the happenings of the second book. It's almost as if Dean Koontz's is saying, "Sorry about that. Let's move on."

Dean Koontz's is in rare form with Brother Odd, finally doing Odd Thomas the justice a fry cook deserves.

E.

Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Teach us...
To give and not to count the cost;
To fight and not to heed the wounds;
To toil and not to seek for rest...
--St. Ignatius Loyola
To some folks I've known a long time and admire because they do good work and are good people: Peter Styles, Richard Boukes, Bill Anderson (Hello, Danielle), Dave Gaulke, and Tom Fenner (Hello, Gabriella, Katia, and Troy). We'll have a fine party on the Other Side, but let's not be in a hurry.
Embraced by stone, steeped in silence, I sat at the high window as the third day of the week surrendered to the fourth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589105, Mass Market Paperback)

Loop me in, odd one. The words, spoken in the deep of night by a sleeping child, chill
the young man watching over her. For this was a favorite phrase of Stormy Llewellyn,
his lost love, and Stormy is dead, gone forever from this world. In the haunted halls of
the isolated monastery where he had sought peace, Odd Thomas is stalking spirits of an infinitely darker nature

Through two New York Times bestselling novels Odd Thomas has established himself as one of the most beloved and unique fictional heroes of our time. Now, wielding all the power and magic of a master storyteller at the pinnacle of his craft, Dean Koontz follows Odd into a singular new world where he hopes to make a fresh beginning—but where he will meet an adversary as old and inexorable as time itself.

St. Bartholomew’s Abbey sits in majestic solitude amid the wild peaks of California’s high Sierra, a haven for children otherwise abandoned, and a sanctuary for those seeking insight. Odd Thomas has come here to learn to live fully again, and among the eccentric monks, their other guests, and the nuns and young students of the attached convent school, he has begun to find his way. The silent spirits of the dead who visited him in his earlier life are mercifully absent, save for the bell-ringing Brother Constantine and Odd’s steady companion, the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

But trouble has a way of finding Odd Thomas, and it slinks back onto his path in the form of the sinister bodachs he has met previously, the black shades who herald death and disaster, and who come late one December night to hover above the abbey’s most precious charges. For Odd is about to face an enemy who eclipses any he has yet encountered, as he embarks on a journey of mystery, wonder, and sheer suspense that surpasses all that has come before.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:34 -0400)

Leaving Pico Mundo, the small desert town in which he has spent his life, Odd Thomas, a hero who lives between the living and the dead, seeks the peaceful solitude of an isolated monastery high in the western mountains, but he soon finds himself confronting an evil killer stalking the ancient, holy halls of his sanctuary.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,173,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible