Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels) by Dean…

Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Dean Koontz

Member:elsebeok
Title:Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels)
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:novel, suspense, series, Odd Thomas

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz (2006)

English (78)  Spanish (1)  All languages (79)
Well told and interesting paranormal thriller. The characters are not all real, but all there. Quirky all. Humorous to boot. Koontz weaves charity, love, sin, internal struggle, and forgiveness in the characters. However, I was particularly annoyed at Odd's singular fixation on the ex girlfriend, Stormy. It got old fast--I must be missing something. Also, the book seemed to drag a little in the middle...waiting for the obvious finale. After an Odd haitus, on to the next. ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 14, 2016 |
I love this series. It is so cleverly written, and on an adult level (you may have to look up some words, unless you are a wordsmith!). I had to jump from book one to three because the library didn't have the second one (Forever Odd) available. No worries, though, this book is a standalone and I didn't miss a beat. I look forward to reading the others in this series, and highly recommend them. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Odd Thomas is seeking peace at St. Bartholomew's Abbey, but sees a shade-like bodach in the children's area, a precursor of disaster. Then one of the monks goes missing and Odd is attacked just before a snowstorm hits. Well told and interesting paranormal thriller - the first Dean Koontz book I have read. Some lines I especially enjoyed; 'I sure wanted to see nuns in monster trucks plowing their way through a blizzard', 'My immediate reaction to having seen Death himself was to get something to eat', 'Because my imagination is as rich as my bank account is empty, I could nevertheless imagine the coarse fibers of the rope against my throat'. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jan 16, 2016 |
Great addition to the Odd Thomas series!
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I actually liked this book, but I read it as satire which I highly doubt was the intention. ( )
  darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
Teach us...
To give and not to count the cost;
To fight and not to heed the wounds;
To toil and not to seek for rest...
--St. Ignatius Loyola
To some folks I've known a long time and admire because they do good work and are good people: Peter Styles, Richard Boukes, Bill Anderson (Hello, Danielle), Dave Gaulke, and Tom Fenner (Hello, Gabriella, Katia, and Troy). We'll have a fine party on the Other Side, but let's not be in a hurry.
Embraced by stone, steeped in silence, I sat at the high window as the third day of the week surrendered to the fourth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589105, Mass Market Paperback)

Loop me in, odd one. The words, spoken in the deep of night by a sleeping child, chill
the young man watching over her. For this was a favorite phrase of Stormy Llewellyn,
his lost love, and Stormy is dead, gone forever from this world. In the haunted halls of
the isolated monastery where he had sought peace, Odd Thomas is stalking spirits of an infinitely darker nature

Through two New York Times bestselling novels Odd Thomas has established himself as one of the most beloved and unique fictional heroes of our time. Now, wielding all the power and magic of a master storyteller at the pinnacle of his craft, Dean Koontz follows Odd into a singular new world where he hopes to make a fresh beginning—but where he will meet an adversary as old and inexorable as time itself.

St. Bartholomew’s Abbey sits in majestic solitude amid the wild peaks of California’s high Sierra, a haven for children otherwise abandoned, and a sanctuary for those seeking insight. Odd Thomas has come here to learn to live fully again, and among the eccentric monks, their other guests, and the nuns and young students of the attached convent school, he has begun to find his way. The silent spirits of the dead who visited him in his earlier life are mercifully absent, save for the bell-ringing Brother Constantine and Odd’s steady companion, the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

But trouble has a way of finding Odd Thomas, and it slinks back onto his path in the form of the sinister bodachs he has met previously, the black shades who herald death and disaster, and who come late one December night to hover above the abbey’s most precious charges. For Odd is about to face an enemy who eclipses any he has yet encountered, as he embarks on a journey of mystery, wonder, and sheer suspense that surpasses all that has come before.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:33 -0400)

Leaving Pico Mundo, the small desert town in which he has spent his life, Odd Thomas, a hero who lives between the living and the dead, seeks the peaceful solitude of an isolated monastery high in the western mountains, but he soon finds himself confronting an evil killer stalking the ancient, holy halls of his sanctuary.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,816,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible