One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

One for the Money (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:kelley_townley
Title:One for the Money
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:Prentice Hall & IBD (1994), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:adult, feisty females, Young adult, teen fiction

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (1994)

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (SunnySD)
    The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (KingRat)
    KingRat: Lisa Lutz' Spellman files has many of the same kind of "zany" characters and plot elements, but with a harder edge.
    Body Movers by Stephanie Bond (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: Both these series feature slightly ditzy fashion-focused women trying to solve mysteries that are really beyond their abilities. Funny, with wacky cast of characters.
    Bubbles a Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    glade1: Similar, working-class heroines with humor and zany adventures
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie (Aula)
    Aula: The same kind of quick, witty banter between the hero and heroine; same light reading; similiar mystery storyline; good secondary characters that add to the love interest rather than detract.
    Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (InfectiousOptimist)
    InfectiousOptimist: Meg Cabot's A Size 12 is Not Fat also centers around a character much like Stephanie Plum. She's young, kind of sassy and is trying to figure out what to do with her life. In the meantime, she ends up in the middle of murder mysteries, just as Stephanie Plum does. There's also the added bonus of a similar romance with an attractive male character.… (more)
    Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (leahsimone)
    Louisiana Longshot by Jana DeLeon (CcanRead)
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    Knock Off by Rhonda Pollero (marschaaahhh)
    marschaaahhh: Similar humour and odd characters.
    Peepshow by Leigh Redhead (Maid_Marian)
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Ok, so the genre isn't really the same, but I feel like people who enjoy Evanovich's characters and their interaction with each other will enjoy those same qualities in Wooding's series. Both are very funny books about a set of characters who are trying to achieve things that are really beyond them.… (more)

English (265)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (268)
A fun fast read not too complicated detective tale. The ending was kinda predictable but still entertaining. I think it was a nice start to the series and am looking forward to the next book. ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This is my first Stephanie Plum and I plan to read all of them. She’s hilarious. All the characters are great, even the bad guys. I picked up her first and wanted to finish it in one haul. I think I did. I have her next two to read. ( )
  mahree | Oct 13, 2014 |
THIS WAS GOD AWFUL. I didn't even finish it. Not only was it poorly written, but Stephanie Plum is a horrible character. UGH. ( )
  KatieEmilySmith | Sep 23, 2014 |
I could have sworn I had a review in for this book, but couldn't find it. It's not bad, a candy read about a bail bondsman - woman - trying to make ends meet in NJ. Stephanie is fun & pretty tough in a very believable way. It's a relaxing read, but I quickly got bored with the series. I don't think I finished the 3d book. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
One for the Money is a surprisingly plausible story about Stephanie Plum, a pretty average woman who loses her job and ends up becoming a bounty hunter. Sounds crazy, right? What makes it work is that she’s not instantly good at it. Her bumbling mishaps and witty commentary throughout are both hilarious and believable. Her strong personality and sheer stubbornness – enhanced by the fact that one of her targets, Joe Morelli, is a guy who slept with her once and never looked back – gives her the perseverance she needs to make the job work.

Although it makes sense that Stephanie wouldn’t be an awesome bounty hunter immediately, I didn’t enjoy reading about an incompetent heroine any more than I liked her being interested in the jerk who slept with her then left her. Obviously, I wasn’t too fond of our leading man either. Without having a character to really relate to, what got me into the book was the humor. Stephanie is a little clumsy and very snarky, both traits which lead to some funny moments. And her grandmother is one of the quirkiest characters I’ve read about in a long time!

The plot was surprisingly complex for something I would describe as the book equivalent of a soap opera. There’s a compelling mystery to solve and you’re given enough information that you can work on solving it. There are also a couple of side plots as Stephanie completes odd jobs to make money while pursuing Morelli. Along the way, a decent number of the supporting characters get very well developed personalities. The reason I would categorize this book as mental junk food, despite the quality of the plot, is the writing. Not only is the writing itself nothing special, the information included in the book is often more graphic than necessary. It frequently feels like the author is going out of her way to entertain the reader with unnecessary sex and violence.

However, I’ll admit it – I like junk food and I liked this book, enough that I’ve also read the second one. I did read it hoping for a little bit more though, and all I discovered is that the series seems a bit formulaic. Between the similarity in the plots of the first two books, the unlikable main characters, and the rather crass writing, I won’t be reading another. There are just too many other books for me to spend time re-reading the same only-acceptably-good book over and over again.

Originally posted on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petty, Lorisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my husband, Peter - with love
There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312362080, Paperback)

Stephanie Plum is so smart, so honest, and so funny that her narrative charm could drive a documentary on termites. But this tough gal from New Jersey, an unemployed discount lingerie buyer, has a much more interesting story to tell: She has to say that her Miata has been repossessed and that she's so poor at the moment that she just drank her last bottle of beer for breakfast. She has to say that her only chance out of her present rut is her repugnant cousin Vinnie and his bail-bond business. She has to say that she blackmailed Vinnie into giving her a bail-bond recovery job worth $10,000 (for a murder suspect), even though she doesn't own a gun and has never apprehended a person in her life. And she has to say that the guy she has to get, Joe Morelli, is the same creep who charmed away her teenage virginity behind the pastry case in the Trenton bakery where she worked after school.

If that hard-luck story doesn't sound compelling enough, Stephanie's several unsuccessful attempts at pulling in Joe make a downright hilarious and suspenseful tale of murder and deceit. Along the way, several more outlandish (but unrelentingly real) characters join the story, including Benito Ramirez, a champion boxer who seems to be following Stephanie Plum wherever she goes.

Janet Evanovich shares an authentic feel for the streets of Trenton in her debut mystery (she developed her talents in a string of romance novels before creating Ms. Plum), and her tough, frank, and funny first-person narrator offers a winning mix of vulgarity and sensitivity. Evanovich is certainly among the best of the new voices to emerge in the mystery field of the 1990s. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:33 -0400)

Watch out, world. Here comes Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie's opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey. She's a product of the "burg," a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, windows are clean, and (God forbid you should be late) dinner is served at six. Now Stephanie's all grown up and out on her own, living five miles from Mom and Dad's, doing her best to sever the world's longest umbilical cord. Her mother is a meddler, and her grandmother is a few cans short of a case.Out of work and out of money, with her Miata repossessed and her refrigerator empty, Stephanie blackmails her bail bondsman cousin, Vinnie, into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Stephanie knows zilch about the job requirements, but she figures her new pal, fearless bounty hunter Ranger, can teach her what it takes to catch a crook. Her first assignment: nail Joe Morelli, a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one. Morelli is also the irresistible macho pig who took Stephanie's virginity at age sixteen and then wrote the details on the bathroom wall of Mario's Sub Shop. There's still powerful chemistry between these two, so the chase should be interesting.It could also be extremely dangerous, especially when Stephanie encounters a heavyweight title contender who likes to play rough. Benito Ramirez is known for his brutality to women. At the very least, his obsession with Stephanie complicates her manhunt and brings terror and uncertainty into her life. At worst, it could lead to murder. Witty, fresh, and full of surprises, One for the Money is among the most eagerly awaited crime novels of the season.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible