One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) by…

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) (original 1994; edition 2006)

by Janet Evanovich

Title:One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2006), Paperback, 334 pages

One For The Money by Janet Evanovich (1994)

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (SunnySD)
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie (Aula)
    Aula: The same kind of quick, witty banter between the hero and heroine; same light reading; similiar mystery storyline; good secondary characters that add to the love interest rather than detract.
    The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (KingRat, Candice_oxo)
    KingRat: Lisa Lutz' Spellman files has many of the same kind of "zany" characters and plot elements, but with a harder edge.
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    Body Movers by Stephanie Bond (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: Both these series feature slightly ditzy fashion-focused women trying to solve mysteries that are really beyond their abilities. Funny, with wacky cast of characters.
    Bubbles A Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    glade1: Similar, working-class heroines with humor and zany adventures
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Ok, so the genre isn't really the same, but I feel like people who enjoy Evanovich's characters and their interaction with each other will enjoy those same qualities in Wooding's series. Both are very funny books about a set of characters who are trying to achieve things that are really beyond them.… (more)
    Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (leahsimone)
    Peepshow by Leigh Redhead (Maid_Marian)
    Knock Off by Rhonda Pollero (marschaaahhh)
    marschaaahhh: Similar humour and odd characters.

English (298)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (301)
Stephanie is a dimwit, but most of the situations she manages to get herself into are funny. Overall I enjoyed the book. Good storyline and plot development. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
My first Janet Evanovich novel and I'd definitely read another one. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
This was wonderfully humorous and over the top. I probably would have given it five stars if I didn't find Ramirez such a heinous character. I may continue the series, but I'm in the midst of a few others, so we'll see. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
So I read this many years ago, and loved it. I introduced it to a friend of mine who was in high school with me at the time, and helped out at the library. I gave it to her, she returned it, and checked it out for herself.

We both read it, and loved it. I loved the sense of humour and how readable it was. I was so surprised, because I usually didn't pick up books like this, never mind adore them. I liked the character, I thought she was sassy and some of the jokes were really enjoyable. I didn't care for the plot, I knew it was part of a series and so the plot didn't matter.

I devoured it, and moved onto the next book.

... then I discovered the writer had recycled many of the same jokes she had used in the first book. And that just frustrated me. It felt, almost lazy, as though she just continued on the story, without developing the character's arc.

I'm probably quite harsh in my review, but this book and writing style just wasn't for me in the end. 2.5 stars. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I think I'd go with 3 1/2 stars. Loved the humor but there were a few places where I had to call BS, even taking lack of technology into consideration. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |

Evanovich, Janetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petty, LoriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my husband, Peter - with love
There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312362080, Paperback)

Stephanie Plum is so smart, so honest, and so funny that her narrative charm could drive a documentary on termites. But this tough gal from New Jersey, an unemployed discount lingerie buyer, has a much more interesting story to tell: She has to say that her Miata has been repossessed and that she's so poor at the moment that she just drank her last bottle of beer for breakfast. She has to say that her only chance out of her present rut is her repugnant cousin Vinnie and his bail-bond business. She has to say that she blackmailed Vinnie into giving her a bail-bond recovery job worth $10,000 (for a murder suspect), even though she doesn't own a gun and has never apprehended a person in her life. And she has to say that the guy she has to get, Joe Morelli, is the same creep who charmed away her teenage virginity behind the pastry case in the Trenton bakery where she worked after school.

If that hard-luck story doesn't sound compelling enough, Stephanie's several unsuccessful attempts at pulling in Joe make a downright hilarious and suspenseful tale of murder and deceit. Along the way, several more outlandish (but unrelentingly real) characters join the story, including Benito Ramirez, a champion boxer who seems to be following Stephanie Plum wherever she goes.

Janet Evanovich shares an authentic feel for the streets of Trenton in her debut mystery (she developed her talents in a string of romance novels before creating Ms. Plum), and her tough, frank, and funny first-person narrator offers a winning mix of vulgarity and sensitivity. Evanovich is certainly among the best of the new voices to emerge in the mystery field of the 1990s. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0400)

Watch out, world. Here comes Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie's opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey. She's a product of the "burg," a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, windows are clean, and (God forbid you should be late) dinner is served at six. Now Stephanie's all grown up and out on her own, living five miles from Mom and Dad's, doing her best to sever the world's longest umbilical cord. Her mother is a meddler, and her grandmother is a few cans short of a case.Out of work and out of money, with her Miata repossessed and her refrigerator empty, Stephanie blackmails her bail bondsman cousin, Vinnie, into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Stephanie knows zilch about the job requirements, but she figures her new pal, fearless bounty hunter Ranger, can teach her what it takes to catch a crook. Her first assignment: nail Joe Morelli, a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one. Morelli is also the irresistible macho pig who took Stephanie's virginity at age sixteen and then wrote the details on the bathroom wall of Mario's Sub Shop. There's still powerful chemistry between these two, so the chase should be interesting.It could also be extremely dangerous, especially when Stephanie encounters a heavyweight title contender who likes to play rough. Benito Ramirez is known for his brutality to women. At the very least, his obsession with Stephanie complicates her manhunt and brings terror and uncertainty into her life. At worst, it could lead to murder. Witty, fresh, and full of surprises, One for the Money is among the most eagerly awaited crime novels of the season.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible