One for the Money (Movie Tie-in) (Stephanie…

One for the Money (Movie Tie-in) (Stephanie Plum Novels) (original 1994; edition 2011)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:cafepithecus
Title:One for the Money (Movie Tie-in) (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: Movie Tie-In, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***
Tags:2013, kindle, chick lit, bounty hunter, humor, crime, mystery, new jersey, stephanie plum

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) by Janet Evanovich (1994)

Recently added bytechnotheist, softballjunkie123, shbeaty, elseyjdc, MareF, arena35, private library, dvats, SummerDiva
    First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (SunnySD)
    The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (KingRat)
    KingRat: Lisa Lutz' Spellman files has many of the same kind of "zany" characters and plot elements, but with a harder edge.
    Bubbles a Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    glade1: Similar, working-class heroines with humor and zany adventures
    Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie (Aula)
    Aula: The same kind of quick, witty banter between the hero and heroine; same light reading; similiar mystery storyline; good secondary characters that add to the love interest rather than detract.
    Body Movers by Stephanie Bond (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: Both these series feature slightly ditzy fashion-focused women trying to solve mysteries that are really beyond their abilities. Funny, with wacky cast of characters.
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Ok, so the genre isn't really the same, but I feel like people who enjoy Evanovich's characters and their interaction with each other will enjoy those same qualities in Wooding's series. Both are very funny books about a set of characters who are trying to achieve things that are really beyond them.… (more)
    Peepshow by Leigh Redhead (Maid_Marian)
    Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (leahsimone)
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    Knock Off by Rhonda Pollero (marschaaahhh)
    marschaaahhh: Similar humour and odd characters.

English (273)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (276)
This was an audio book I listened to while exercising in the morning. It was entertaining not just for the storyline but also for the flashbacks it gave me to pre-social media society! ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
THIS WAS GOD AWFUL. I didn't even finish it. Not only was it poorly written, but Stephanie Plum is a horrible character. UGH.
  katherineemilysmith | May 4, 2015 |
After the movie (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've ready 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit. I love her grandma, and the hookers, and some other random side characters and that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more 17 sometimes.

THIS BOOK: One For The Money
The main character is out of a job and becomes a bounty hunter to make ends meet. She is understandably inept at her new job, but she keeps trying and gets the job done (with some help, now and then).

The books to fallow:
By the time of the 5th book or so you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30 who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her from dying or failing.

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
I will admit, this is the first Janet Evanovich book I've ever read. She's a very prolific and popular author, I've just never gotten around to checking her out because I wasn't sure if she would be my cup of tea. While I enjoyed One for the Money, I don't know how soon I will pick the rest of the series. They are light, fluffy fun reads, perfect for airports or the beach. This series focuses on Stephanie Plum, a young woman who, while out of luck and out of money, joins her cousin's bail bonds business and tracks down clients who have skipped out of their court hearings. Stephanie learns the hard way that there is a lot more to becoming an apprehension agent. She quickly finds herself wrapped up in a case bigger than she ever could have imagined, but deals with her ridiculous problems with wit and humor. A nice, easy, read. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 24, 2015 |
A very fun book. There are so many crazy, fucked up characters in this book, its just awesome. I guess, what makes it more interesting to me, is that I know fucked up people like this. They really exist, and I hate them so much. They make for great conflict though, which is what every good story needs.

This story is about Stephanie Plum, who ends up going to work as a bounty hunter for her shady bail bondsman cousin. Of course, Steph doesn't know how to use a gun. She's just a stupid Jersey girl, right? But no, she turns out to be quite adept in picking up the trade. Albeit in a bumbling bimbo sort of way.

Then there's the sexy man-hunter bounty hunter that helps her out from time to time. You know she wants to fuck him, but of course he just brushes her off, which just makes you want the coupling even more. Then there's her old high school boyfriend, who's a cop now, and helps her catch bad guys from time to time. Oh, and they're also casual fuck buddies. I probably just spoiled the whole fucking book for you now, but it's still worth a read. It's quite the fun romp. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petty, Lorisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my husband, Peter - with love
There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312362080, Paperback)

Stephanie Plum is so smart, so honest, and so funny that her narrative charm could drive a documentary on termites. But this tough gal from New Jersey, an unemployed discount lingerie buyer, has a much more interesting story to tell: She has to say that her Miata has been repossessed and that she's so poor at the moment that she just drank her last bottle of beer for breakfast. She has to say that her only chance out of her present rut is her repugnant cousin Vinnie and his bail-bond business. She has to say that she blackmailed Vinnie into giving her a bail-bond recovery job worth $10,000 (for a murder suspect), even though she doesn't own a gun and has never apprehended a person in her life. And she has to say that the guy she has to get, Joe Morelli, is the same creep who charmed away her teenage virginity behind the pastry case in the Trenton bakery where she worked after school.

If that hard-luck story doesn't sound compelling enough, Stephanie's several unsuccessful attempts at pulling in Joe make a downright hilarious and suspenseful tale of murder and deceit. Along the way, several more outlandish (but unrelentingly real) characters join the story, including Benito Ramirez, a champion boxer who seems to be following Stephanie Plum wherever she goes.

Janet Evanovich shares an authentic feel for the streets of Trenton in her debut mystery (she developed her talents in a string of romance novels before creating Ms. Plum), and her tough, frank, and funny first-person narrator offers a winning mix of vulgarity and sensitivity. Evanovich is certainly among the best of the new voices to emerge in the mystery field of the 1990s. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0400)

Watch out, world. Here comes Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude. In Stephanie's opinion, toxic waste, rabid drivers, armed schizophrenics, and August heat, humidity, and hydrocarbons are all part of the great adventure of living in Jersey. She's a product of the "burg," a blue-collar pocket of Trenton where houses are attached and narrow, cars are American, windows are clean, and (God forbid you should be late) dinner is served at six. Now Stephanie's all grown up and out on her own, living five miles from Mom and Dad's, doing her best to sever the world's longest umbilical cord. Her mother is a meddler, and her grandmother is a few cans short of a case.Out of work and out of money, with her Miata repossessed and her refrigerator empty, Stephanie blackmails her bail bondsman cousin, Vinnie, into giving her a try as an apprehension agent. Stephanie knows zilch about the job requirements, but she figures her new pal, fearless bounty hunter Ranger, can teach her what it takes to catch a crook. Her first assignment: nail Joe Morelli, a former vice cop on the run from a charge of murder one. Morelli is also the irresistible macho pig who took Stephanie's virginity at age sixteen and then wrote the details on the bathroom wall of Mario's Sub Shop. There's still powerful chemistry between these two, so the chase should be interesting.It could also be extremely dangerous, especially when Stephanie encounters a heavyweight title contender who likes to play rough. Benito Ramirez is known for his brutality to women. At the very least, his obsession with Stephanie complicates her manhunt and brings terror and uncertainty into her life. At worst, it could lead to murder. Witty, fresh, and full of surprises, One for the Money is among the most eagerly awaited crime novels of the season.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,896,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible