Hush, Little Horsie by Jane Yolen

Hush, Little Horsie

by Jane Yolen

Certainly a beautifully illustrated book. And of course it would have been my favorite during my horse-crazy days. I did like that each verse was almost the same, with the introduction of two new vocabulary words each time (plains/ sea... gallop/ prance...). But, personally, just speaking for myself, I wasn't all that charmed. At least at this point in my life I couldn't connect - which makes me wonder if this transcends genre the way the best picture-books can.

Again, though, for the right audience this is a five-star book. Please don't be dissuaded from checking it out based on my opinion. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This review was previously published. I have rewritten and edited it.

This is a board book edition of a picture book published in 2010. The text is a repetitive lullaby:

"Hush little horsie,
Asleep on the farm.
Your mama is near
And will keep you from harm."

Each stanza changes to a different place and rhyme, and is followed by a refrain:
"She'll watch when you play
and she'll watch when you sleep
and when you are tired
she'll watch as you sleep."

Which is, from an adult perspective, a little freaky, but of course kids won't notice that. You can easily sing the text to the tune of "Hush little baby".

Ruth Sanderson's lush paintings show gorgeous horses of different breeds in different places outdoors and in their cozy stable. The story ends showing a child clutching a stuffed horse and dreaming of horses.

Verdict: I'm not sure how successfully this would work as a board book - it would depend on the child, I think, and whether they will sit still and listen to the story, but there are lots of realistic looking horses to point out. I think it probably works better as a picture book overall.

ISBN: 9780375851391; Published 2013 by Random House; Review copy provided by publisher; Donated to the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Sep 28, 2014 |
A nice balance of repetition and fresh lines for each horse. A little twee, but sweet, and just-right for a very young horse lover. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Not up to the usual standards of Yolen, but I did enjoy the lovely illustrations. A friend who is an artist once mentioned that drawing horses proportionately is very difficult.

If so, then Ruth Sanderson did quite an amazing job.

This is a soft, gentle story of mother horses and their babies.
1 vote Whisper1 | Jul 9, 2013 |
Mother horses watch their babies run and play all day until they eventually get tired and lay down to go to sleep.
  JaimeScheidler | May 10, 2013 |

Hush, little horsie,
Asleep on the moor.
Your mama is close—
That’s what mamas are for.

Mama horses around the world promise to watch over their little ones as the foals frolic and play and eventually fall asleep in this soothing bedtime story. Young horse lovers will drift off with Ruth Sanderson’s stunning horses in their minds and the promise of their own parents’ enduring love in their hearts.

Award-winning author Jane Yolen has written the New York Times bestselling How Do Dinosaurs . . . series and Owl Moon, winner of the Caldecott Medal. In Hush, Little Horsie, she has dreamed up a lovely rhyming read-aloud for a mother and child to snuggle up with.

This gorgeous picture book is perfect for horse lovers big and small—and for mothers in need of a good bedtime story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

Rhyming text assures foals that their mothers are watching over them while they leap on a farm, frolic on a beach, gallop on a plain, and sleep in a stall.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible