Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt

by Rob Buyea

I knew within the first three or four pages that this book was worthy of the award(s) it's won. This was an incredible story, from beginning to end. I LOVED the fact that it was told from 7 different points of view. Well written, very entertaining, with some great life lessons added for good measure! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Genre: Friendship/Teacher - Student Relationship
Format: Chapter Book

My cooperating teacher read this book as a read aloud to her fifth grade students. I had the opportunity to listen to a chapter while I was with them in the classroom and I couldn't help but notice the student's reactions to the book! they were so engaged and excited and could not wait for the next day when another chapter would be read. After this, I definitley asked the teacher if I could borrow the book to read on my own. This book is about a fifth grade classroom, no wonder the students could identify with it! Mr. Terupt is a new teacher that goes into a fifth grade classroom to teach. The book follows a unique format which I really liked. Each chapter is narrated from one of the seven students in the classroom. They are all so distinct. The seven main characters are three boys: Peter, Jefferey, Luke, and four girls: Jessica, Alexia, Danielle and Anna. Each character has unique traits and characteristic and each student has different struggles. The story begins at the beginning of the school year when they meet their new teacher, Mr. Terupt, the students think they will get away with most anything and that it is sure to be an exciting year. I like this book because it covers challenging topics that are hard to bring up in class like bullying and violence.
  georperez | Oct 29, 2014 |
I really liked Because of Mr. Terupt . It is a perfect family or classroom read-aloud because it will lead to some really good discussions about a plethora of topics. It is a story told through the eyes of 7 students. Each different voice is very distinguishable, and each different student has their own set of problems. It is inspiring to see their growth throughout their 5th grade school year. I did have one issue with how much the teacher let the kids get away with, but that was addressed later in the book so I felt better. I also had a hard time buying into the idea that people today would be so prejudiced against a 5th grade girl whose mother had gotten pregnant out of wedlock, but it adds to the story. I'm sad I'm just discovering this book - it was published in 2010. However, I think it is my favorite children's fiction book since I read Wonder in 2012. There is also a sequel called Mr. Terupt Falls Again - I'm hoping it is as good as the first. I definitely recommend this one.

Areas of concern:
A few crudities were used by the students.
There are several issues brought up that may need discussion - unwed pregnancy, divorce, death of a sibling, bullying, calling special needs kids "retard"... That sounds like a lot of dark stuff, but it is dealt with very beautifully. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 24, 2014 |
This would be a great mentor text to teach using a characters' voice in writing. ( )
  asomers | Jul 22, 2014 |
Great book. Will have to read the next one in the series. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573882X, Hardcover)

It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . . Jessica, the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in; Alexia, a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next; Peter, class prankster and troublemaker; Luke, the brain; Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy Anna, whose home situation makes her an outcast; and Jeffrey, who hates school.

Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:33 -0400)

Seven fifth-graders at Snow Hill School in Connecticut relate how their lives are changed for the better by "rookie teacher" Mr. Terupt.

45 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,438,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible