Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt

by Rob Buyea

1. Autism doesn't usually come with superpower; savant syndrome is rare. 2. The characters' internal reflections and examination of their internal motivations is hard to swallow. Kids that age aren't that self aware--heck, I'm not that self-aware.
That aside, I loved this book! Half way through, I was in whimper-sniffs and slicing onions at my desk to explain away the tears. Buyea's characters were strong, and story, powerful to the end. ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 15, 2016 |
A middle-grade story about a year in Mr. Terupt's fifth grade class, told in rotating points of view from seven of his students. The voices are distinct, and each child has their own problems they are dealing with as the year goes on. There's also a Big Event that Changes Everything and affects each of the students. They must figure out how to deal with it and what it means for them. The book does a good job dealing with heavy subjects for a young audience. I, however, liked the book better before the Big Event happened. I thought it was more rounded and interesting earlier, and while some really good moments came after it (and because of it), I thought the story got a little one-note and anti-climatic in the last hundred pages or so. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 7, 2016 |
Because of Mr. Terupt is the story of one fifth-grade classroom and their inspirational teacher, and what happens in the aftermath of a tragic accident. I can see why this book has achieved moderate popularity: it has the funny and heartwarming elements typical to this type of story, and with its school setting and balance of male and female point of view characters, it will work well in the classroom. I found it difficult to distinguish between some of the characters -- Jessica and Anna, for instance, have a very similar narrative voice. Still, it made for a pleasant read (well, listen, as I read it via audiobook) and I'll recommend it to readers looking for something a little bit like Wonder, as it has the same sort of setting and gentle moral tone. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 28, 2016 |
A terrific story told from four different points of view about a year in a fifth grade class. ( )
  imtanner2 | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is a well written honest book. It depicts a classroom of students with a wide variety of backgrounds - divorced families, neglect, illegitimate, smart, not so smart. I felt that while it was a bit sad it accurately depicted what many of our classrooms are today. Some of the backgrounds are heavy so I would recommend reading it ahead of time before reading aloud or recommending it to some children. I would definitely use this with an older class who may be having difficulty working together as a team and understanding the differences that may be dividing them.
  Tracie_Shepherd | Feb 16, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573882X, Hardcover)

It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . . Jessica, the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in; Alexia, a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next; Peter, class prankster and troublemaker; Luke, the brain; Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy Anna, whose home situation makes her an outcast; and Jeffrey, who hates school.

Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:21 -0400)

Seven fifth-graders at Snow Hill School in Connecticut relate how their lives are changed for the better by "rookie teacher" Mr. Terupt.

45 wanted2 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,796,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible