Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt

by Rob Buyea

I really liked Because of Mr. Terupt . It is a perfect family or classroom read-aloud because it will lead to some really good discussions about a plethora of topics. It is a story told through the eyes of 7 students. Each different voice is very distinguishable, and each different student has their own set of problems. It is inspiring to see their growth throughout their 5th grade school year. I did have one issue with how much the teacher let the kids get away with, but that was addressed later in the book so I felt better. I also had a hard time buying into the idea that people today would be so prejudiced against a 5th grade girl whose mother had gotten pregnant out of wedlock, but it adds to the story. I'm sad I'm just discovering this book - it was published in 2010. However, I think it is my favorite children's fiction book since I read Wonder in 2012. There is also a sequel called Mr. Terupt Falls Again - I'm hoping it is as good as the first. I definitely recommend this one.

Areas of concern:
A few crudities were used by the students.
There are several issues brought up that may need discussion - unwed pregnancy, divorce, death of a sibling, bullying, calling special needs kids "retard"... That sounds like a lot of dark stuff, but it is dealt with very beautifully. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 24, 2014 |
This would be a great mentor text to teach using a characters' voice in writing. ( )
  asomers | Jul 22, 2014 |
Great book. Will have to read the next one in the series. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
Nearly perfect book about a class that has a really special teacher. You have the mean girl, the fat one, the one who's mother made a mistake, the prankster, the smart one....You name it, they are in here. When tragedy hits, the class has to learn to not only forgive each other, but themselves. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jun 24, 2014 |
This is a great choice for reluctant readers. Told from the perspective of various fifth graders who had a new teacher for the year. ( )
  skm88 | Jun 8, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573882X, Hardcover)

It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . . Jessica, the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in; Alexia, a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next; Peter, class prankster and troublemaker; Luke, the brain; Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy Anna, whose home situation makes her an outcast; and Jeffrey, who hates school.

Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:33 -0400)

Seven fifth-graders at Snow Hill School in Connecticut relate how their lives are changed for the better by "rookie teacher" Mr. Terupt.

45 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible