The Wonder of Charlie Anne by Kimberly Fusco

The Wonder of Charlie Anne (edition 2010)

by Kimberly Fusco, Ann Marie Lee (Reader)

Member:tracyhintz
Title:The Wonder of Charlie Anne
Authors:Kimberly Fusco
Other authors:Ann Marie Lee (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2010), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:Nutmeg 2013

The Wonder of Charlie Anne by Kimberly Newton Fusco

I really liked this book and the message behind it. It would be a good fit for a fourth or fifth grade girl, but I think boys can read it too. I hate to pigeon-hole books as "boy" or "girl" books. I most liked the friendship that developed between Charlie Anne and Phoebe. I also think Rosalyn, who adopted Phoebe after her mother (and Roselyn's childhood friend) was killed in an act of racism, is such a powerful mother figure for the motherless Phoebe.

I also love the transformation of Aunt Mirabel. She came off as this total hard-a$$ but in the end you could tell that she really did care about the kids. She was just overwhelmed. I think her eventual acceptance of Phoebe after the accident by the river was her turning point, but you also saw that she had a big heart when she went to the Morrell's and Thatcher's.

Her character, as well as Charlie Anne and Phoebe would spur great conversations! ( )
  melissadorish | Dec 6, 2012 |
This Nutmeg nominee is a good example of historical fiction. It is set in the 1930's during the Depression in a rural area. Some of the themes that are covered are dealing with death and hard times, racism, and friendship. There are lots of strong female characters in this book as well and I would recommend it to fourth grade and up.
  DanaLD | Dec 3, 2012 |
sweet book about a young girl in the rural south and how she changes those arounbd here when she befriends a local african american girl. 4th -5th grade readers.
  tracyhintz | Nov 25, 2012 |
I just finished this book over the long weekend. I found this to be an accessible book for a 4th to 5th grade reader. In fact I was book talking this one to a group of 4th graders last week in the library and one girl who raises and shows cows checked it out. She is in the middle of it and really loving it. Now I teach in a rural school and many of my students live on farms so this book has contextual appeal for them. The language is simple and the details of Charlie Anne’s circumstances are portrayed in language and manner that children can identify with despite the reach of history. I believe this to be one of the book’s strengths overall. Through Charlie Anne’s eyes you see how poverty, loss, hope, anger, and love look. These are timeless elements that cross history effectively. This straightforward story is also a simple transition into a standalone fiction book. The characters are well defined and the plot is definitive creating a positive reading experience for the young reader.
  amjuch | Oct 9, 2012 |
Children's Fiction, historical fiction, Depression
  JulieBenolken | Sep 2, 2011 |

Charlie Anne is devastated when her father must go north to build roads after the Depression hits. She and her siblings are left with their rigid cousin, Mirabel, and a farm full of chores. The only solace Charlie Anne finds is by the river, where the memory of her mother is strongest.

Then her neighbor Old Mr. Jolly brings home a new wife, Rosalyn, who shows up in pants—pants!—the color of red peppers. With her arrives Phoebe, a young African American girl who has also lost her mother. Phoebe is smart and fun and the perfect antidote to Charlie Anne's lonely days. The girls soon forge a friendship and learn from each other in amazing ways.

But when hatred turns their town ugly, it's almost more than they can bear. Now it's up to Charlie Anne and Phoebe to prove that our hearts are always able to expand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:19 -0400)

In a 1930s Massachusetts farm town torn by the Depression, racial tension, and other hardships, Charlie Anne and her black next-door neighbor Phoebe form a friendship that begins to transform their community.

12 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,704,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible