Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Moon over Manifest (2010)

by Clare Vanderpool

Stumbled across a subsequent book by this author, "Navigating Early" - like it well enough to also look for her first novel which won 2011 Newbery Award. I enjoyed reading this book also.
A little bit historical, a bit of Mark Twain type youngster's summer adventure, a little magical, bit of a mystery and some heartwarming family and community love. Who could ask for more?
If I had to choose, I think I liked her second book a bit better. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
A great book. This story takes place in a small western town in Kansas in the 1930's, although the main character's relationship to the town goes back to a story from 20 years before. The rich characters and amusing and sometimes heart-wrenching stories of the town's past make a wonderfully enjoyable read for anyone! ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 25, 2014 |
A remarkable novel, which unfolds itself to the reader via a variety of colorful characters and moments in time. Lively, Historical and Heart-wrenching this story is equally appealing to adult readers. ( )
  mariekagreene | Feb 17, 2014 |
Parts of this book were interesting, even charming at times, and other sections were slow going to me. Still, I'm glad I read it. ( )
  dukefan86 | Dec 13, 2013 |
Being a winner of the Newbery Award, this powerful and historically detailed book is about the life of Abilene Tucker. Due to his railroad occupation, Abilene’s father sends her off on a train to live with an old friend for the duration of the summer. Having heard stories from her father about Manifest, Kansas, Abilene quickly jumps off the train in Manifest, Kansas. In an attempt to learn about the boy her father once was, Abilene sets off for a journey to uncover the truth. This book is enjoyable to read.
  romeo14v | Nov 6, 2013 |
To Mother and Daddy,
for loving a good story, and a good laugh,
and for giving me a good life
The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby.

The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby. I closed my eyes to the dusty countryside and imagined the sign I’d seen only in Gideon’s stories: Manifest—a town with a rich past and a bright future.

Abilene Tucker feels abandoned. Her father has put her on a train, sending her off to live with an old friend for the summer while he works a railroad job. Armed only with a few possessions and her list of universals, Abilene jumps off the train in Manifest, Kansas, aiming to learn about the boy her father once was.

Having heard stories about Manifest, Abilene is disappointed to find that it’s just a dried-up, worn-out old town. But her disappointment quickly turns to excitement when she discovers a hidden cigar box full of mementos, including some old letters that mention a spy known as the Rattler. These mysterious letters send Abilene and her new friends, Lettie and Ruthanne, on an honest-to-goodness spy hunt, even though they are warned to “Leave Well Enough Alone.”

Abilene throws all caution aside when she heads down the mysterious Path to Perdition to pay a debt to the reclusive Miss Sadie, a diviner who only tells stories from the past. It seems that Manifest’s history is full of colorful and shadowy characters—and long-held secrets. The more Abilene hears, the more determined she is to learn just what role her father played in that history. And as Manifest’s secrets are laid bare one by one, Abilene begins to weave her own story into the fabric of the town.

Powerful in its simplicity and rich in historical detail, Clare Vanderpool’s debut is a gripping story of loss and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:48 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Abilene Tucker is the daughter of a drifter who, in the summer of 1936, sends her to stay with an old friend in Manifest, Kansas, where he grew up, and where she hopes to find out some things about his past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible