Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Moon over Manifest (2010)

by Clare Vanderpool

1,219976,537 (4.03)70

Read a review of the audiobook version of this 2011 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2011/08/moon-over-manifest.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
I dunno. In the beginning it impressed me as only another plucky (pseudo) orphan story, but then it got more confusing with it's attempt to cover all sorts of history and explore lots of different characters with its gimmicks of layers. I'm afraid I just felt too frustrated with the technique of a story inside a story inside a mystery that's part of a story, with some characters existing in both eras, but as children and then adults, and other characters existing in only one era... and I never did catch why Abilene has that name or what happened to her mother...

I'm ranting on and on, sorry. But that's the way the book goes, honestly, so I guess it's apt. I believe Vanderpool should have written a two-book series, as she had so many ideas that she wanted to share.

And now I'll go read other reviews and see whether I'm the only one who feels this way.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
(Coincidentally, this is the second book I’ve read about young girls sent away from their families due to hard times in the 1930s.)

Abeline rides the rails with her father Gideon, until he decides the rails are no place for a young girl and he sends her off to where he lived as a child, the town of Manifest. Taken in by a bootlegger, woodcarver, and preacher named Shady, Abeline goes looking for pieces of her father’s past in the town but ends up uncovering a wonderful and bittersweet story full of spies, diviners, con artists, the KKK, and other oddities instead.

This is a slow build of a novel, alternating between Abeline’s point of view, the old stories told of Ned, Jinx, and the town, and newspaper clippings from the past. As such it kind of snuck up on me, making me fall in love with these characters and this hard luck town a little bit at the time, so that by the end I was broken hearted to see what happened and to have it end. ( )
  andreablythe | Apr 9, 2015 |
This is one of the best books I've read this year and I think it's ageless as far as the reading audience is concerned. I recommended it to my 90 year old father and he enjoyed it as much as I and the children at my school did. ( )
  cminter | Feb 22, 2015 |
Young adult novel set in the fictional town of Manifest Kansas in the 1930's. Manifest is based on the town of Frontenac, a mining town that was made up of immigrants (especially Italians). Told from the viewpoint of Abilene, a girl who has been sent to Manifest by her vagabond father. The story unfolds alternatively between Abilene's telling and the story of her father and his young days in Manifest as told by a local "diviner." ( )
  maryreinert | Jan 9, 2015 |
To Mother and Daddy,
for loving a good story, and a good laugh,
and for giving me a good life
The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby.

The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby. I closed my eyes to the dusty countryside and imagined the sign I’d seen only in Gideon’s stories: Manifest—a town with a rich past and a bright future.

Abilene Tucker feels abandoned. Her father has put her on a train, sending her off to live with an old friend for the summer while he works a railroad job. Armed only with a few possessions and her list of universals, Abilene jumps off the train in Manifest, Kansas, aiming to learn about the boy her father once was.

Having heard stories about Manifest, Abilene is disappointed to find that it’s just a dried-up, worn-out old town. But her disappointment quickly turns to excitement when she discovers a hidden cigar box full of mementos, including some old letters that mention a spy known as the Rattler. These mysterious letters send Abilene and her new friends, Lettie and Ruthanne, on an honest-to-goodness spy hunt, even though they are warned to “Leave Well Enough Alone.”

Abilene throws all caution aside when she heads down the mysterious Path to Perdition to pay a debt to the reclusive Miss Sadie, a diviner who only tells stories from the past. It seems that Manifest’s history is full of colorful and shadowy characters—and long-held secrets. The more Abilene hears, the more determined she is to learn just what role her father played in that history. And as Manifest’s secrets are laid bare one by one, Abilene begins to weave her own story into the fabric of the town.

Powerful in its simplicity and rich in historical detail, Clare Vanderpool’s debut is a gripping story of loss and redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:16 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Abilene Tucker is the daughter of a drifter who, in the summer of 1936, sends her to stay with an old friend in Manifest, Kansas, where he grew up, and where she hopes to find out some things about his past.

239 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,878,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible