The Nightmarys by Dan Poblocki

The Nightmarys

by Dan Poblocki

Recently added byprivate library, dm13, ChickensAreBrave

Timothy has been going through a lot lately -- his brother, deployed overseas, was in an accident and has been unconscious since. He's been having nightmares, and recently they have been making an appearance during the day in the form of horrific visions. He can't talk to anybody about any of it, and he feels like he's slowly losing his mind.

In class one day, he's forced to pair up with a new student, Abigail, for a group project at the museum. Abigail is pretty strange -- she constantly plays with a lighter and keeps to herself. Timothy doesn't expect the project to go very well at all, but he quickly learns that he and Abigail are wrapped up in an even bigger problem: a mystery that reaches back decades and involves not only Abigail's family but the entire town they live in. Abigail has been seeing things too, and there seems to be a connection between a peculiar book that Timothy found and an ancient jawbone from the museum.

The Nightmarys wasn't really the scary book that it was advertised to be, but it was a great, unusual mystery with a lot of cool imagery. There are some gruesome scenes, and some scenes that are less grotesque but still vivid and imaginative. The book moves at a brisk pace and rarely stops to let you breath, so plan on setting aside enough time to finish the book in a sitting or two. The main characters, at times, seem unrealistic for preteens, but are complicated and interesting. I enjoyed reading about their growing relationship.

I would classify The Nightmarys as more of a good, solid YA mystery book with a horror edge than a true horror book, but it's a decent read and pretty unique. ( )
  vombatiformes | Apr 1, 2014 |
A page turner full of suspense. Dan Poblocki is a great writer for young teens. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 12, 2014 |
Dan Poblocki certainly put a lot of detail into "The Nightmarys." Describing how disgusting the specimens looked in Timothy's eyes. Pretty much showing exactly how frightening the Nightmarys looked themselves. This bone-chilling novel is something you would not wish to read at night.

As I said above, it was very detailed as I read chapter after chapter. I often had to pause and grab a dictionary because of the exquisite vocabulary. ( )
  SydneyW.G3 | Oct 22, 2013 |
This is the second book of dan ive read and this one scared the hell outa me. Even more than the first one ( )
  Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |
It keeps you wondering what will happen next, and you don’t want to put the book down. It also has a nice plot and gets right into the action. I read this book because the cover really jumped out at me and I became very intrigued to read it.
  edspicer | Jun 3, 2013 |

Seventh-grader Timothy July and his new friend Abigail try to break a curse that is causing them and others to be tormented by their greatest fears brought to life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible