The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and…

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival (2010)

by John Vaillant

This book took me forever to finish. The basic point of the book is a story about a rogue man-eating tiger in Eastern Russia, and how it was tracked down and killed. BUT, this relatively simple tale is drawn out over dozens of chapters, some of which veer off into in-depth explorations of tangentially related topics, like evolutionary theory (the relationship of hominids and large cats over thousands of years), or predator-prey dynamics, or the changes in the tiger's habitat over the past several decades. So a simple story ended up framing a series of pretty scholarly chapters that sometimes made me feel like I had to slog through them just to get to the part where I could find out what actually *happened*. I just wasn't sure whether I was reading a true-life adventure story or a textbook -- the hybrid was a little odd. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
One of my all time favorite non-fiction books. A must read. ( )
  NinaBerry | Mar 3, 2016 |
A great book about animal survival in a shrinking environment. Amazing abilities of large mammals if the theories here are true. I have always believed cats and dogs have the ability for the emotions of revenge, anger and being aggressive to the point of just being mean. Not out of necessity or desire. We are the caretakers of all animals but that does not always make humans the smartest or wisest animal on the planet. ( )
  cwflatt | Nov 29, 2015 |
Extraordinary detail regarding people of various local cultures and traditions & economies, plus animals, plants & ecology of eastern Russia ~ Siberia/China/North Korea. I chose this after reading Vallant's "The Golden Spruce," which had a similar depth of detail, but held more interest for me, probably because it takes place in my own environs. This writer plumbs the depths of history, interviews, research, and puts it together succinctly. ( )
  nggray | Apr 27, 2015 |
Sad story of one tiger with history and side lights. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
"In the taiga there are no witnesses"
- V. K. Arseniev, Dersu the Trapper
"no easy bargain
Would be made in that place by any man"
- Beowulf
Hanging in the trees, as if caught there, is a sickle of a moon.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307268934, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2010: Deep in the frigid Siberian wilderness, an Amur tiger hunts. Fearsome strength is at the command of a calculating mind that relentlessly stalks its newest prey: man. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the taiga, John Vaillant provides an unforgettable true account of a lethal collision between man and beast in a remote Russian village during the late 1990's. At its core, The Tiger is the story of a desperate poacher who picked the wrong tiger to accost. Yet it engages the reader on political, socioeconomic, and conservation fronts in order to explain how the stage was set for a deadly showdown. It's a gutsy approach that could easily lead to chaotic storytelling, but Vaillant is careful to keep the bone-chilling storyline taut by capturing the intensity of an animal worthy of our greatest respect and deepest fears. --Dave Callanan

Christopher McDougall Reviews The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival

Christopher McDougall is the author of national bestseller Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen. He is a former war correspondent for the Associated Pressand a three-time National Magazine Award finalist. He's written for magazines ranging from Esquire and The New York Times Magazine to Outside and Men’s Health. He does his own running among the Amish farms around his home in rural Pennsylvania. Read his review of The Tiger:

A few years ago, I interviewed a Delaware state trooper named Butch LeFebvre who’d been assigned to investigate rumors that a mountain lion was roaming the outskirts of Wilmington. It was silly, of course--big cats had been wiped out on the East Coast more than a century ago. But just to be safe, LeFebvre strapped on night-vision goggles, loaded a rifle with a tranquilizer dart, and set off into the woods behind the Du Pont Country Club. By 3 A.M, he’d spotted nothing, so he headed back to his truck. The next evening, he returned to the same spot for another look--and found paw tracks following his footprints all the way back to where he’d parked. LeFebvre was an experienced hunter, but he learned something that night: one killer out there was doing a great job of watching and thinking and learning, and it wasn’t him.

To this day, the Wilmington lion has never attacked or even emerged from the suburban shadows. Not so lucky, however, is the Siberian village in John Vaillant’s chilling The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival. In 1997, deep in the remote Russian backcountry, a gigantic Amur tiger begins acting like the only thing more savage than a wild animal--us. It doesn’t just attack villagers; it hunts them, picking its targets like a hitman with a contract, at one point even dragging a mattress out of a shack so it can lie comfortably in wait until the woodsman returns home. A few days later, the woodsman’s horrified friends discover remains “so small and so few they could have fit in a shirt pocket.”

Vaillant is as masterful with science as he is with suspense. We feel what it’s like to be in a tiny settlement cut off from the rest of the world, at the mercy of a beast so swift that it can’t be seen until its mouth bites down on your face. Tigers, Vaillant explains, are nature’s last word in mammalian weapons design. Big as three NFL linebackers bundled into one, armed with claws longer than fingers and jaws rated on a strength-scale used for dinosaurs, tigers are built like missiles and can out-swim, out-climb, out-fox and out-run just about anything that breathes. That’s the bad news; the worse news is, they’re also armed with memory and invisibility. “I have seen all the other animals,” one poacher says, “but I have never seen a tiger--not once.”

What enthralled me as much as the deadly cat-and-man game at the center of The Tiger are the side-stories that inform it. Vaillant introduces us to characters like Jakob von Uexkull, a Victorian-era baron-turned-physiologist who specialized in umwelt: the lost art of immersing yourself in another creature’s psyche. You crouch to the height of the animal you’re seeking, learning to see the world through its eyes, inhale scents through its nostrils, feel cool earth and crushed leaves beneath its padded paws. There are hunters in Siberia, Vaillant tells us, who can sniff the woods and identify animals by smell. These maestros believe killing a tiger without cause is as vile as murder, and such a violation of natural order that calamity is destined to follow. They feel such kinship with the big cats that they’ll even share their meals by leaving hunks of meat in the woods, convinced the tigers will re-pay them in kind with a deer haunch when times are lean. They see themselves as blood brothers of the Amurs--but as Vaillant shows us, no one fights more fiercely than relatives.

(Photo © Luis Escobar)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:19 -0400)

Documents the efforts of a tiger conservation leader who was forced to hunt a man-eating tiger through the brutal Siberian winter, an effort that familiarized him with the creature's history, motives and unique method of attack.

155 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible