Touchy Subjects by Emma Donoghue

Touchy Subjects (2006)

by Emma Donoghue

3-1/2 stars. While the stories were all good & the writing excellent, the general effect was spoiled for me by having the most fun, enjoyable story first; I kept waiting for more hilarity which did not ensue. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
A strong showing by the author of "Room" -- a collection of tales showcasing her uncanny ability to create an genuine and nuanced internal life for her characters, whether in mundane or extraordinary circumstances. These tales are immensely varied: they include narrators or every stripe and sexuality, settings in North America and Ireland, and personalities large and small. My favorite was is impossible to discuss here without a spoiler, so I will only mention that it involves love in an all-female co-op and a young anal retentive grammatically correct lesbian virgin who falls in love with a mysterious and unlikely figure. ( )
  Bostonseanachie | Dec 14, 2016 |
In my eyes, Emma Donoghue can do very little wrong. This themed collection (babies, domesticity, strangers, desire and death) feels like a chat with a good friend. Donoghue does great dialogue, and her situations are deeply realistic. I can see myself picking this collection up to return to a few of the stories again and again. ( )
  cyrenitis | Dec 2, 2015 |
Gave my copy to Sarah G. ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 25, 2013 |
Had this out of the library for a while, dipping into it off and on, hoping I'd maybe get into it. Answer: no. The stories feel totally mundane, non-revelatory. They don't have the punchy power that a short story should have (in my opinion and to my taste). And now there's a book I want more in at the library, and I need to make space on my card. 'bye, Emma Donoghue. ( )
  shanaqui | May 3, 2013 |
This book is for Finn Claude Donoghue Roulston, with a big wet kiss.
Sarah's eyes were as dray as paper.

In this sparkling collection of nineteen stories, the bestselling author of Slammerkin returns to contemporary affairs, exposing the private dilemmas that result from some of our most public controversies. A man finds God and finally wants to father a child-only his wife is now forty-two years old. A coach's son discovers his sexuality on the football field. A roommate's bizarre secret liberates a repressed young woman. From the unforeseen consequences of a polite social lie to the turmoil caused by the hair on a woman's chin, Donoghue dramatizes the seemingly small acts upon which our lives often turn. Many of these stories involve animals and what they mean to us, or babies and whether to have them; some replay biblical plots in modern contexts. With characters old, young, straight, gay, and simply confused, Donoghue dazzles with her range and her ability to touch lightly but delve deeply into the human condition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

"In this collection of nineteen stories, the author of Slammerkin returns to contemporary affairs, dramatizing the private dilemmas that result from some of our most public controversies. A man finds God and finally wants to father a child - only his wife is now forty-two years old. A coach's son discovers his sexuality on the football field. A roommate's bizarre secret awakens a repressed young woman. From the unforeseen consequences of a polite social lie to the turmoil caused by a single hair on a woman's chin, Emma Donoghue dramatizes the seemingly small acts upon which our lives often turn. Many of these stories involve animals and all they mean to us, or babies and whether or not to have them; some replay biblical plots in modern contexts. With characters old, young, straight, gay, and simply confused, Donoghue dazzles with her range and her ability to touch lightly but delve deeply into the human condition."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,949,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible