Robot Dreams by Sara Varon

Robot Dreams (edition 2007)

by Sara Varon, Sara Varon (Illustrator)

Title:Robot Dreams
Authors:Sara Varon
Other authors:Sara Varon (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:graphic novels

Robot Dreams by Sara Varon

A painful but heart-warming textless story reminiscent of Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
The half title page starts the story and we see the dog sending off an order form of some sort to foreshadow the future events. Then we are thrown right into the story where the dog receives his package. He builds a robot and they become best friends. On a beach date, they go swimming and robot breaks. This is tragic for both of the characters. As the story goes on we see how both the robot and dog handle the situation and continually long for each other's friendship. Eventually, the dog gets a new robot friend and the robot is rebuilt to be a radio and also makes a new friend. The robot happens to see the dog one day with another robot and becomes sad. He realizes they are both happy now with new friends and decides to just move on and continue this happiness.
I found it amazing that through this wordless book, there was so many emotions evoked from myself. Through these illustrations I felt how these characters felt. I think it may be difficult for younger readers to understand the theme of moving on and making yourself happy with what you have. However, this book does a good job of showing a realistic way of life with this un-realistic story. ( )
  imasson | Aug 25, 2016 |
This was depressing... am I just thinking of it too much? Well, I'm glad Robot found a friend to be with in the end, but seriously... poor Robot. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
This virtually wordless graphic novel appears to be a simple story to delight kids but it doesn't have the type of happy ending one would expect. It’s more bittersweet and emotionally complex, and every nuance is expressed in the simple drawings. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This sentimental, surprising, and humorous graphic novel reminds us that we need to take care of our friends, and that sometimes due to unforeseen circumstances and changes in our lives, those friends may move on but will always be in our hearts. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Special thanks to my Mom, Maureen Panzera, & Tanya McKinnon

The enduring friendship between a dog and a robot is portrayed in this wordless graphic novel.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,821,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible