Robot Dreams by Sara Varon

Robot Dreams (edition 2007)

by Sara Varon, Sara Varon (Illustrator)

Member:lisa1.
Title:Robot Dreams
Authors:Sara Varon
Other authors:Sara Varon (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:graphic novels

Robot Dreams by Sara Varon

Don't let the childlike drawings or graphic novel format deceive you: Robot Dreams is not for the faint of heart. A wordless novel that uses pictures to tell the story of an unlikely friendship between a robot and a dog, Robot Dreams is a powerful commentary on love and loss. I found myself captivated by the story and read this book in one sitting. Sara Varon proves that stories are more than just words, and that there is no wrong way to tackle difficult topics. A compelling read, this book is perfect for a class library and I would readily recommend it to students interested in comic books. Additionally, I can see myself using this as a teaching tool for lessons on visual story-telling. ( )
  cskaemmerling | May 7, 2017 |
This wordless graphic novel is a heartwarming/heartbreaking story of the friendship between a dog and a robot. One day they had a beach day and tragedy struck. Robot got hurt, but dog did not know what to do and left him stranded. The story progresses, and we see how each character moved on from this event. One day they meet up again and they see that both have moved on. Robot, sad at first, realizes that both are happy and that is what matters. This book is intended for the older kids because of the theme and content. For instructional use, the teacher can make the students write narratives with the writing process. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Jan 28, 2017 |
A painful but heart-warming textless story reminiscent of Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
The half title page starts the story and we see the dog sending off an order form of some sort to foreshadow the future events. Then we are thrown right into the story where the dog receives his package. He builds a robot and they become best friends. On a beach date, they go swimming and robot breaks. This is tragic for both of the characters. As the story goes on we see how both the robot and dog handle the situation and continually long for each other's friendship. Eventually, the dog gets a new robot friend and the robot is rebuilt to be a radio and also makes a new friend. The robot happens to see the dog one day with another robot and becomes sad. He realizes they are both happy now with new friends and decides to just move on and continue this happiness.
I found it amazing that through this wordless book, there was so many emotions evoked from myself. Through these illustrations I felt how these characters felt. I think it may be difficult for younger readers to understand the theme of moving on and making yourself happy with what you have. However, this book does a good job of showing a realistic way of life with this un-realistic story. ( )
  imasson | Aug 25, 2016 |
This was depressing... am I just thinking of it too much? Well, I'm glad Robot found a friend to be with in the end, but seriously... poor Robot. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Special thanks to my Mom, Maureen Panzera, & Tanya McKinnon

The enduring friendship between a dog and a robot is portrayed in this wordless graphic novel.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,179,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible