Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom…

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter (2010)

by Tom Franklin

Recently added byLitaVore, Rena37, Dyrfinna, CMDH5, private library, leshardin, MaraBlaise
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: There is a similar poignancy to Larry Ott and Owen Meany as they struggle to find their place in their worlds.
    The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy (fuzzy_patters)
    A Crime in the Neighborhood by Suzanne Berne (aliklein)
    Citrus County by John Brandon (GCPLreader)
    A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash (sturlington)
    In the Heat of the Night by John Ball (VictoriaPL)
    Paris Trout by Pete Dexter (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both books take place in the south, though in different states. The underlying racial tone is very similar.

I absolutely loved this book and I would highly recommend it. I will probably read it again to savour Tom Franklin's great writing.

I haven't read a lot of southern literature, so I don't have a lot to compare this to, but this novel was outstanding in its setting and characterizations. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter was an immersion in the culture of the American South, starting in the late 70s then jumping forward 20 years.

It's part social study (plenty of racism), part crime/mystery, and very much a story of the human condition: loneliness, wanting to belong and the need for friendship.

LemonyT | Apr 21, 2017 |
This was the 3rd book I have read by Tom Franklin. He deals with a small town in southeast Mississippi in this story. It concerns 2 childhood friends who 25 years later confront the clash of the present and past. This book is a murder mystery but less on the mystery side and more the character development side. Franklin makes you feel the small town South of the past and the present in an excellent way. You can see the rusted cars, closed down businesses, and dysfunctional people unfolding. This book moved slowly but definitely picked up steam towards the end. Franklin is a very descriptive writer but he seems to do this so you can sense of the place about which he writes. This style can be difficult in a very long novel, but it works here. If you have not read any Tom Franklin, I recommend this book as a good introduction. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Mar 24, 2017 |
I love this book—the storytelling, the characters, the setting. ( )
  TBoerner | Mar 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. I had picked the book up because I needed a title that had repeated words, I'm so glad I bought this one.

Larry Ott is too smart, too "sissyish" for his father who wants Larry to be more like him. He's also not popular at school so when a girl asks him out he jumps at the chance. Problem is that the girl never returns home after the date and the small town people think he had something to do with her disappearance. Silas is an African-American (I probably should have added this is in a small town in the South which is why is ethnicity matters to this story) who is a constable for the District. He's come back after many years of living "Up North" (Northern Mississippi that is). He's having a hard time coming to terms with the friendship he had with Larry when they were younger.

If you want a book more about life and motivations than of murder this is a book for you but if you want a hard-driving, thriller you may want to try something else. I will be reading more by Tom Franklin. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
A 3.5 ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
If you're looking for a smart, thoughtful novel that sinks deep into a Southern hamlet of the American psyche, "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" is your next book.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Sep 29, 2010)

added by lucy.depalma | editSCIS (pay site)

Tom Franklinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barsøe, Søren K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, humpback, humpback, I.

—How southern children are taught to spell Mississippi
For Jeff Franklin
and
in loving memory
of
Julie Fennelly Trudo
For Jeff Franklin and in loving memory of Julie Fennelly Trudo
The Rutherford girl had been missing for eight days when Larry Ott returned home and found a monster waiting in his house.

Black and white
secret kept, secret told
brothers to behold

(Sogamonk)

"...set in rural Mississippi. In the late 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry, the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, single black mother. Yet for a few months the boys stepped outside of their circumstances and shared a special bond. But then tragedy struck: Larry took a girl on a date to a drive-in movie, and she was never heard from again. She was never found and Larry never confessed, but all eyes rested on him as the culprit. The incident shook the county-and perhaps Silas most of all. His friendship with Larry was broken, and then Silas left town. More than twenty years have passed. Larry, a mechanic, lives a solitary existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has returned as a constable. He and Larry have no reason to cross paths until another girl disappears and Larry is blamed again. And now the two men who once called each other friend are forced to confront the past they've buried and ignored for decades" --Publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible