Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom…

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter (2010)

by Tom Franklin

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: There is a similar poignancy to Larry Ott and Owen Meany as they struggle to find their place in their worlds.
    The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy (fuzzy_patters)
    A Crime in the Neighborhood by Suzanne Berne (aliklein)
    Citrus County by John Brandon (GCPLreader)
    A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash (sturlington)
    In the Heat of the Night by John Ball (VictoriaPL)
    Paris Trout by Pete Dexter (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both books take place in the south, though in different states. The underlying racial tone is very similar.

I love this book—the storytelling, the characters, the setting. ( )
  TBoerner | Mar 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. I had picked the book up because I needed a title that had repeated words, I'm so glad I bought this one.

Larry Ott is too smart, too "sissyish" for his father who wants Larry to be more like him. He's also not popular at school so when a girl asks him out he jumps at the chance. Problem is that the girl never returns home after the date and the small town people think he had something to do with her disappearance. Silas is an African-American (I probably should have added this is in a small town in the South which is why is ethnicity matters to this story) who is a constable for the District. He's come back after many years of living "Up North" (Northern Mississippi that is). He's having a hard time coming to terms with the friendship he had with Larry when they were younger.

If you want a book more about life and motivations than of murder this is a book for you but if you want a hard-driving, thriller you may want to try something else. I will be reading more by Tom Franklin. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
A 3.5 ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This book was a little slow getting started but then it got better about half way through. I think the story itself was interesting but I never got “attached” to any of the characters. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
A slow moving mystery, we follow two men who were boyhood friends, one black and one white. Since the 1970s were not the time and Mississippi was not the place for such a friendship they had to keep it secret as they met in the woods. The black man, Silas nicknamed 32, went on to become a police officer and the white man followed his father and became a car mechanic. When Larry was accused of the murder of a young woman, Silas investigates quietly and unofficially to clear his friend.

Full of the anger and bigotry caused by poverty found the South, this book shows what can happen when the nature of a man, not his color, is appreciated and the truth can be revealed. ( )
  mamzel | Dec 29, 2016 |
If you're looking for a smart, thoughtful novel that sinks deep into a Southern hamlet of the American psyche, "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" is your next book.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Sep 29, 2010)

added by lucy.depalma | editSCIS (pay site)

Tom Franklinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barsøe, Søren K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, humpback, humpback, I.

—How southern children are taught to spell Mississippi
For Jeff Franklin
and
in loving memory
of
Julie Fennelly Trudo
For Jeff Franklin and in loving memory of Julie Fennelly Trudo
The Rutherford girl had been missing for eight days when Larry Ott returned home and found a monster waiting in his house.

Black and white
secret kept, secret told
brothers to behold

(Sogamonk)

"...set in rural Mississippi. In the late 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry, the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, single black mother. Yet for a few months the boys stepped outside of their circumstances and shared a special bond. But then tragedy struck: Larry took a girl on a date to a drive-in movie, and she was never heard from again. She was never found and Larry never confessed, but all eyes rested on him as the culprit. The incident shook the county-and perhaps Silas most of all. His friendship with Larry was broken, and then Silas left town. More than twenty years have passed. Larry, a mechanic, lives a solitary existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has returned as a constable. He and Larry have no reason to cross paths until another girl disappears and Larry is blamed again. And now the two men who once called each other friend are forced to confront the past they've buried and ignored for decades" --Publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,204,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible