Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel by…

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Tom Franklin (Author)

Member:JenMat
Title:Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel
Authors:Tom Franklin (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2010), 288 pages

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin (2010)

Recently added byrena75, sophroniaborgia
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: There is a similar poignancy to Larry Ott and Owen Meany as they struggle to find their place in their worlds.
    The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy (fuzzy_patters)
    A Crime in the Neighborhood by Suzanne Berne (aliklein)
    A Land More Kind Than Home: A Novel by Wiley Cash (sturlington)
    Citrus County by John Brandon (GCPLreader)
    Heaven's Crooked Finger by Hank Early (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both are crime novels that have as their main character a man returning to his childhood home and also snakes.
    In the Heat of the Night by John Ball (VictoriaPL)
    Paris Trout by Pete Dexter (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both books take place in the south, though in different states. The underlying racial tone is very similar.

This is the story of two childhood friends - Larry Ott and Silas Jones. They both grew up in rural Missisippi - one a son of lower middle class parents and one the son of a poor single mother. They would meet secretly in the woods to shoot and play together. But tragedy struck when Larry took a local girl on a date and she never returned. Larry was blamed for her death and disappearance even thought the girl was never found. Their friendship fell apart and Silas moved away.

20 years later, Silas has returned to the same town as a constable. Larry, who never got out from under the charges, is a mechanic with no friends and no customers. Silas has been avoiding Larry, even though Larry continues to call to talk to him. Then another girl disappears, and because her body is found on Larry's property, Larry is blamed again. Silas is involved in solving the case so he is forced to relive his past that he has buried deep for so long.

This was a pretty good book. I had a little trouble getting into it, but once the mystery of the girl's disappearance started to take shape, the book picked up. It has some surprising twists that I didn't see coming, and that helped. The name of the book comes from the way kids in Mississippi are taught to spell Mississippi. (M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter - I- crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback-humpback - I).

I recommend the book. Give it a try.

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Really liked this one. As a mystery, I thought it was well mapped out, and Franklin does a nice job of turning it from a whodunit (since we're pretty sure who the culprit is halfway in) into a whydthetownblameitonthatguydunit. As a Southern gothic tale, the novel is a keen observant of contemporary American life in the South—well aware of the faults and critical of them, but also very much concerned with the welfare of the people in the story.

If anything, though, I think Franklin did an outstanding job in painting the nuances in the relationship with the two protagonists, one a black member of law enforcement and the other white outcast. The grit and grace is here. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
In a small town in Mississippi, a series of murders has long haunted the population. Everyone knows that "Scary Larry" is responsible for the disappearance of a teenage girl he took on a date the night she died. Larry was always a strange kid with know friends and an obsession with horror movies and books. Since that day so many years ago, Larry has lived an isolated life as the town pariah. When another girl goes missing, everyone is sure they know who is responsible. Several days later, Larry is found shot in his home and shortly thereafter, the body of the missing girl is found buried on Larry's property.

Silas is a town police officer. He knew Larry when they were growing up and the two were even friends briefly. Silas doesn't believe that Larry is guilty, and he might be the only one in town who can find the real killer. But more than the memory of a friendship, Silas has a secret that will finally have to be spoken if he hopes to help Larry.

This is a thoughtful, atmospheric book that cuts between the current events of the most recent murder and flashbacks to the time of the previous murder. It is a story about prejudice and the mythology of small town life. ( )
  Juva | Sep 25, 2018 |
3.5ish ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
Silas and Larry were once friends for a short time, though one was white and one was black. Larry's life is forever changed after he goes on a date with a girl who is never seen again. Silas and Larry's lives cross paths again many years later. The book is really well written, and though some things are foreshadowed, I was still surprised by some twists and turns. The inner of lives of Larry and Silas are very well handled, and you also get to meet a cast of secondary characters. My heart went out to Larry, especially the more I learned about him--though I also understood his treatment by the community. I also really identified with Silas, although of course he turns out to be imperfect. Aren't we all? So many lives so tarnished forever by things that could have so easily been different. And yet. ( )
  cherybear | Aug 15, 2018 |
If you're looking for a smart, thoughtful novel that sinks deep into a Southern hamlet of the American psyche, "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" is your next book.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Sep 29, 2010)

added by lucy.depalma | editSCIS (pay site)

Tom Franklinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barsøe, Søren K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, humpback, humpback, I.

—How southern children are taught to spell Mississippi
For Jeff Franklin
and
in loving memory
of
Julie Fennelly Trudo
For Jeff Franklin and in loving memory of Julie Fennelly Trudo
The Rutherford girl had been missing for eight days when Larry Ott returned home and found a monster waiting in his house.

Black and white
secret kept, secret told
brothers to behold

(Sogamonk)

"...set in rural Mississippi. In the late 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry, the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, single black mother. Yet for a few months the boys stepped outside of their circumstances and shared a special bond. But then tragedy struck: Larry took a girl on a date to a drive-in movie, and she was never heard from again. She was never found and Larry never confessed, but all eyes rested on him as the culprit. The incident shook the county-and perhaps Silas most of all. His friendship with Larry was broken, and then Silas left town. More than twenty years have passed. Larry, a mechanic, lives a solitary existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has returned as a constable. He and Larry have no reason to cross paths until another girl disappears and Larry is blamed again. And now the two men who once called each other friend are forced to confront the past they've buried and ignored for decades" --Publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tom Franklin's book Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,528,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible