Crooked Letter Crooked Letter: A Novel by…

Crooked Letter Crooked Letter: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Tom Franklin

1,6051884,529 (4)235
Member:SaphiraB
Title:Crooked Letter Crooked Letter: A Novel
Authors:Tom Franklin
Info:Avon (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2013

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin (2010)

Recently added byThreegulls, Quietman2, INorris, spounds, eslibgky, private library, bwhitner, mookie86, jlhmom
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: There is a similar poignancy to Larry Ott and Owen Meany as they struggle to find their place in their worlds.
    The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy (fuzzy_patters)
    Citrus County by John Brandon (GCPLreader)
    Paris Trout by Pete Dexter (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both books take place in the south, though in different states. The underlying racial tone is very similar.
    A Crime in the Neighborhood by Suzanne Berne (aliklein)
    In the Heat of the Night by John Ball (VictoriaPL)

This was a good but sad story. Larry growing up was an out cast. He had only one friend Silas. Because of Larry's father Silas and Larry have a falling out. Then one day a girl, Cindy, asks Larry on a date, but it's not really a date with Larry that she wants. She is using him to see someone else, only after that night she is never seen again. No charges are brought against Larry, but he is ostracized from the community. He drops out of school an is now called Scary Larry. Years later another girl goes missing. They look to Larry. Silas is now the constable. So much happens, secrets come out, friends aren't Wh they seem. Even after everything is sain and done I still feel bad for Larry. ( )
  bwhitner | Apr 7, 2015 |
A satisfying mystery that spans two decades. Silas "32" Jones was a high school baseball star when a girl disappears after going on a date with outcast Larry Ott. The mystery is never solved and now 32 Jones, the town constable, is faced with the disappearance of another girl. Could Larry Ott be involved again? Franklin weaves the stories of the two mysteries together, revealing much about the events in the two incidents, but even more importantly revealing much about the people involved.

I listened to this one on audio, and the narrator, Kevin Kenerly, did an excellent job. The voices were distinct and matched my visualization of the characters perfectly. ( )
  porch_reader | Mar 3, 2015 |
This is a mystery that takes place in Mississippi. It seems to be an above average story. I believe I got this book as a free Kindle Ebook. There were grammar and spelling errors. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Feb 26, 2015 |
In 1970s rural Mississippi, two boys became friends despite their backgrounds. White, middle-class Larry Ott was an outcast because of his love of reading, especially horror novels. Poor, fatherless Silas Jones was save from the ostracization of being black when he excelled athletically. However, their fragile alliance was sundered Larry was the last person to see Cindy Walker before she disappeared. Twenty-five years later, Larry is still haunted by the past and shunned by the community. College educated Silas has returned a sports hero and become Chabot's Constable. When another girl goes missing, everyone remembers Cindy. Secrets, truths, responsibilities, and justice come tumbling out of Chabot's present as Larry and Silas begin to understand how their pasts have been interwoven. Franklin has written a fascinating study of character, race, and friendship. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 4, 2014 |
I picked this book up based on the recommendation of a podcast I list to (Literary Disco--for those of you who don't listen, I highly recommend it!). Their discussion of this book had me getting it from my library as soon as it was available.

However the book was not quite what I expected from the discussion. It wasn't as mystery-thriller as I expected it to be, but it was a good, fun read that had me ignoring everyone and everything while I finished it.

It's got the prereqs--murder, a creepy guy everyone thinks did it, and a town full of secrets.

It's also short and easy to get through--so pick it up! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
If you're looking for a smart, thoughtful novel that sinks deep into a Southern hamlet of the American psyche, "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" is your next book.
added by eereed | editWashington Post, Ron Charles (Sep 29, 2010)

added by lucy.depalma | editSCIS (pay site)

Tom Franklinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barsøe, Søren K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, humpback, humpback, I.

—How southern children are taught to spell Mississippi
For Jeff Franklin
and
in loving memory
of
Julie Fennelly Trudo
For Jeff Franklin and in loving memory of Julie Fennelly Trudo
The Rutherford girl had been missing for eight days when Larry Ott returned home and found a monster waiting in his house.

Black and white
secret kept, secret told
brothers to behold

(Sogamonk)

"...set in rural Mississippi. In the late 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry, the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, single black mother. Yet for a few months the boys stepped outside of their circumstances and shared a special bond. But then tragedy struck: Larry took a girl on a date to a drive-in movie, and she was never heard from again. She was never found and Larry never confessed, but all eyes rested on him as the culprit. The incident shook the county-and perhaps Silas most of all. His friendship with Larry was broken, and then Silas left town. More than twenty years have passed. Larry, a mechanic, lives a solitary existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has returned as a constable. He and Larry have no reason to cross paths until another girl disappears and Larry is blamed again. And now the two men who once called each other friend are forced to confront the past they've buried and ignored for decades" --Publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,720,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible