Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural…

Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation (2010)

by Steven Johnson

English (40)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (42)
This book is really more like a 3.5 star book, but I can't do that on here and I do really like Steven Johnson's writing in general (been in a fan back into the early FEED days). I also should admit that part of the reason for that half-star demotion might be that I listened to this as an audiobook. The issue was not the narrator or anything you would typically expect, but rather a simple matter of making it difficult (I was listening to it driving to and from work) to stop and ponder or jot down notes.

Those caveats aside, I really did enjoy this book quite a bit. Jonhson has a way of clarifying ideas and concepts that I find to be helpful and stimulating. In this case, the subject matter, how new inventions, discoveries, etc. are made, is near and dear to my heart. Though I don't consider myself to be a revolutionary thinker who is regularly coming up with some flash of insight, I do take the idea of consistently trying to set myself up for new ideas, very seriously. Johnson brings together a lot of pieces of information on this subject that I had heard, in one form or another, before, but puts it into a very digestible format. I'm particularly grateful that I also own a physical copy of this book -- I'm looking forward to reading through his notes and reviewing the structure and organization of the material. I suspect that process alone will add to what I have gained from this book. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
A fine survey of innovation and creativity. Sort of innovation 101. The appendix: chronology of key innovations, 1400 - 2000 is interesting. Good "further reading" section and lengthy bibliography. No new ideas here, but a nice survey course and reference book for further reading. ( )
  charliesierra | Sep 1, 2014 |
While this book is maybe lacking the scholarly precision of a work of science, its message is clear and at least for me easily acceptable. It identifies the key ingredients for innovation and great ideas and is practical and explanatory enough to give the reader ideas to translate them into their environment.

The message is that innovation occurs on fertile ground, but as a product of a deterministic process, but rather as a mixture of right ingredients mixed with a good pinch of time.

The book is lively written and a pleasure to read. I warmly recommend it. ( )
  ernst.schnell | Dec 20, 2013 |
A surprisingly interesting broad survey of innovation. Somewhat formulaic in sections, and lacking any great insight, this book nevertheless presents a mass of interesting data and makes a case (fairly weak, but still a case) for re-evaluating how organisations approach innovation. That said, there is little information of practical relevance. ( )
  gbsallery | Oct 7, 2013 |
Second time listening to the audio book. I really enjoy it.

Informative. Entertaining.

This is a great book on innovation and how companies and individuals can foster creativity.

Recommended for creative professionals and those in innovative fields. ( )
  damienfranco | Aug 22, 2013 |
Especially for people in business or education, it’s a worthwhile book. It talks about the institutional structures that facilitate good ideas – how you get lots of people thinking about cutting edge problems, how you put people together in a space where different skill sets and influences can come together, how you make the right kinds of materials available but don’t force a conclusion.
check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugRZG...

Like The Tipping Point and Freakonomics it goes beyond the traditional 'big think’ guides that promise to teach us how to get ahead or why things went so wrong; instead, it explores what makes us tick, and as a result might actually have an impact far beyond the boardroom.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Telegraph, Hollis. Leo (Nov 21, 2010)

Steven Johnsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pietiläinen, KimmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Johnson addresses an urgent and universal question: What sparks the flash of brilliance? How does groundbreaking innovation happen? He provides the complete, exciting, and encouraging story of how the ideas are born that push careers, lives, society, and culture forward.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 184614051X, 0141033401

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Where Good Ideas Come From by Steven Johnson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible