Hell's Corner (Camel Club) by David Baldacci

Hell's Corner (Camel Club) (edition 2011)

by David Baldacci

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Hell's Corner (Camel Club)
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Vision (2011), Edition: 1st ptg., Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages
Rating:***
Tags:USA, Mystery/Suspense, Audiobook

Hell's Corner by David Baldacci

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Wow! I have given 5 stars for every single book of the 'Camel Club' series. And incredibly, this one trumps all the rest! Traitors, moles, double agents... So much smoke and mirrors, misdirection, red herrings in this political thriller.... and when you think you've been spun around enough times and that the plot will proceed with a little more straightaways and you can actually catch a breather... Wham! More surprises at every turn! Did I say 'turn'? I meant, flipped completely topsy turvy! Spectacular! ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Enjoyable escapism , easy read. Baldacci is always good. ( )
  Joanne53 | May 24, 2014 |
Hell's Corner is about the war against terrorists using nano technology. The major new rookie here is Mary Chapman, who, had she not been a Brit, would surely be, at the end of the book, a member of the Camel Club. This book is the 35th that I'm giving a perfect score. About 13 % of my scores are 5/5. I'm fine with that. I'm at a crossroads. I can either read a slew of cozy mysteries, or experiment with historical fiction and supernatural books or Brad Thor books. The reason I may do nothing of the sort is David Baldacci. There are many books of his begging to be read. And he's good, very good indeed. I think I may read most of his books this year. He's that addicting. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 21, 2014 |
I try to spread out my reading of this type of book. I tend to lump these conspiracy/government agent/spy novels into a single bucket and this one fits pretty well. It is better than most, but the ending is a bit of a stretch as is common in the genre. I would recommend reading it, but as always go into it for the enjoyment of the book and try to set aside a bit of the believability.

The narration in the audiobook is quite good. ( )
  bwkramer | Nov 19, 2013 |
From Publishers Weekly Baldacci's implausible fifth Camel Club novel (after Divine Justice) disappoints with cartoonish plotting and characterization. The night after the U.S. president persuades former assassin Oliver Stone (aka John Carr) to re-enter government employment to tackle the growing threat of Russian drug gangs, Stone finds himself in Lafayette Park, across the street from the White House, when gunfire breaks out and a bomb explodes. Apparently, the intended target was the visiting British prime minister, who was scheduled to walk across the park before an ankle injury modified his plans. Taken off his original mission, Stone seeks to identify the forces behind the assassination attempt. Stone's old Camel Club allies involve themselves in his search, which includes the de rigueur mole hunt and the McGuffin of choice these days, a lead on Osama bin Laden's whereabouts. Those who prefer intelligence in their political thrillers will have to look elsewhere. (Nov.) (c)
(c) Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved. Product Description Oliver Stone and the Camel Club return in #1 bestselling author David Baldacci's most stunning adventure yet._An attack on the heart of power . . . In sight of the White House . . . At a place known as . . . _HELL'S CORNER John Carr, aka Oliver Stone-once the most skilled assassin his country ever had-stands in Lafayette Park in front of the White House, perhaps for the last time. The president has personally requested that Stone serve his country again on a high-risk, covert mission. Though he's fought for decades to leave his past career behind, Stone has no choice but to say yes. Then Stone's mission changes drastically before it even begins. It's the night of a state dinner honoring the British prime minister. As he watches the prime minister's motorcade leave the White House that evening, a bomb is detonated in Lafayette Park, an apparent terrorist attack against both leaders. It's in the chaotic aftermath that Stone takes on a new, more urgent assignment: find those responsible for the bombing. British MI-6 agent Mary Chapman becomes Stone's partner in the search for the unknown attackers. But their opponents are elusive, capable, and increasingly lethal; worst of all, it seems that the park bombing may just have been the opening salvo in their plan. With nowhere else to turn, Stone enlists the help of the only people he knows he can trust: the Camel Club. Yet that may be a big mistake. In the shadowy worlds of politics and intelligence, there is no one you can really trust. Nothing is really what it seems to be. And Hell's Corner truly lives up to its name. This may be Oliver Stone's and the Camel Club's last stand.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
To Michelle
Twenty years of marriage and twenty books.
A ride of a lifetime with the woman I love.
Oliver Stone was counting seconds, an exercise that had always calmed him.

On the night of the State Dinner honouring the British Prime Minister, there is an explosion as the Prime Minister's motorcade leaves the White House. Oliver Stone witnesses the event. A bomb has been detonated in what looks like a terrorist plot directed at the President and the Prime Minister. In the aftermath, British MI-5 agent Mary Chapman, an experienced, lethal operative with an agenda of her own, is sent to assist and coordinate the investigation alongside American authorities. Stone, together with Harry Finn, Alex Ford, and the rest of the Camel Club, are drawn into the investigation. But everything is not what it appears to be, and what happened in the park may not have been the actual plan. It seems the mysterious attackers had another target in their sights, and it's up to the Camel Club to stop them, or face the catastrophic results.

"The mysterious attackers in a seeming terrorist plot in Washington, D.C., might have another target in their sights, and if the Camel Club is unable to stop them, the results would be nothing less than catastrophic"--Provided by publisher.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible