The Work of the Pastor by William Still

The Work of the Pastor (edition 2010)

by William Still

Member:Kirk1810
Title:The Work of the Pastor
Authors:William Still
Info:Christian Focus (2010), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Pastoral / Preaching

The Work of the Pastor by William Still

The best book on pastoring by someone I had never heard of (at the moment when Sinclair Ferguson recommended it.)

Read it and be inspired to get back the basics. Not a pastor? Read it and pray your pastor is like this, ever-growing to be more and more a faithful shepherd.

Those with programs, or light-boards, or kids’ church, or outreach activities, or a pastor who is locally famous for his role in the Rotary Club, or some combination of things that are okay (but sometimes distract from the simple proclamation of God’s Word) will be challenged throughout the book.

Press on, though. There is gold here for anyone who will find it. ( )
  Pastor_Doug | Mar 30, 2018 |
Good concise encouraging book, but nothing particularly spectacular.

It was often hard to figure out what the main point of each chapter was. There was not a well-thought-out structure and argument, as much as main themes that were weaved in and out.

Three main lessons:
(1) The work of the pastor is the solid "ministry of the Word" which feeds sheep, and not continually the "simple Gospel" that perpetually breeds infants.

(2) There is a balance to keep between God's eternal word and speaking contemporarily.

(3) Die to self. God works through us as his word works in us. ( )
  matthauck | Dec 27, 2010 |
On Sunday (July 18th) I picked up and read the original edition of William Still's The Work of the Pastor. It came recommended by a respected pastor, but I was still happily surprised by what I found. In fact, I would suggest that this book ranks with Lloyd-Jones' Preaching and Preachers and Spurgeon's Lectures to My Students. It is a book, as Sinclair Ferguson suggested, that should be read by pastors not just once but every year.

In The Work of the Pastor William Still reminds pastors of their primary calling. We have been called, he says, to preach the Word - not our favorite texts or themes but the whole counsel of God. Throughout the book the author keeps coming back to the importance and value of faithful biblical preaching - preaching that is well-rounded, faithful to the Truth, and delivered with heartfelt fervour for the Lord and His people. Still doesn't want dry theology. He wants pastors who are filled with the Spirit and who spend much time with God. He wants men of God! Indeed, he urges pastors to make this their first ambition: that (whatever else they become that) they first become men of God. Yet, throughout the book, the author is most concerned to call pastors back to the ministry of the Word. While they are called to care for their flock through visitation and counseling, he urges that far more will be accomplished through faithful biblical preaching. If only preachers would preach the Word!

William Still's book is tremendously practical. He offers advice for visitation and counsel. He makes helpful suggestions for preaching; he tells pastors what to expect when they are faithful (and he is both realistic and encouraging); and he warns of the many pitfalls of pastoral ministry (and he is very specific in his application).

I found this book to be a real gem. I was challenged by it but also very encouraged. I highly recommend it. ( )
1 vote stephendr | Jul 20, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,287,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible