A House to Die For (A Darby Farr Mystery) by…

A House to Die For (A Darby Farr Mystery) (edition 2010)

by Vicki Doudera

Member:Stomplib
Title:A House to Die For (A Darby Farr Mystery)
Authors:Vicki Doudera
Info:MIDNIGHT INK (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:New, Adults, Maine
Tags:Sisters in Crime, Maine

A House to Die For by Vicki Doudera

A House to die for is the first book in a mystery series. Darby Farr is a hotshot real estate agent in California. She is called home to the small Maine Island she left ten years ago when the Aunt who raised her is taken ill. Her last request is for Darby to close a real estate deal on the sale of the prestigious Fair View Mansion. Where Darbys former best friend Lucy used to live. But a dead body found on the grounds is not the worst problem Darcy has confronted with a desperate buyer, a dangerous local and a storm coming! Darby is fast running out of time to salvage the sale and prevent more people from dying. ( )
  Georgiann | Feb 1, 2015 |
First Line: The ring of the hospital pager ripped through the quiet night like a gunshot.

Hotshot realtor Darby Farr made a new life for herself in California because she wanted to get away from her controlling aunt and the small island they lived on in Maine. After a phone call from her aunt's assistant, Darby finds herself returning to Hurricane Harbor whether she likes it or not-- she has to fulfill her dead aunt's last wish that she close a deal on a multi-million dollar sale.

Darby doesn't plan on being there long. After all, the sale of Fairview is pretty much a done deal... until a local resident digs up an obscure deed restriction and kills it. Speaking of killing, the back-up buyer for the estate is found hacked to death on Fairview's grounds. Confronted with a desperate buyer, a dangerous local, and a storm making its way up the coast, Darby's time to salvage the sale and prevent additional deaths is rapidly running out.

Have you ever identified the killer early on because one of the characters was just too good to be true? That's what happened to me while I read A House to Die For. Since that's happened to me more than once, I don't let it put me off reading the book as long as something else within its pages is holding my interest. Indeed there were other things holding my interest: the book's setting on a small island off the coast of Maine and the knowledge of real estate that the author shared. Towards the book's end, I also found myself in a small sinking boat out on the open sea in the middle of a storm. Not only were those particular scenes very exciting, I think I'm still a bit seasick.

I have to admit that the cover of this book was its major selling point, and although I hoped that the house and its history would figure more prominently in A House to Die For, I was ultimately disappointed. The characters were well-drawn, but for some reason I never really "clicked" with any of them, which means I doubt I'll continue with the series. If you're less of a character-driven reader than I, don't let me put you off. Your mileage is almost certainly going to vary, and there is a lot more to this book than its characters. ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 29, 2011 |
A quick step away from children's books for an adult mystery....the author promised me, when she signed a book at ALA that I would like it - and she was right! Darby Farr returns to the Maine coast and island she grew up on to fulfill her estranged aunt's dying request. But as soon as she arrives she's suddenly involved in murders, mysterious circumstances, threats, and old secrets of her family and friends. There's a little hint at romance and some humor and interesting tidbits about real estate, but no info dumps. I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery and look forward to reading the sequel! If, like me, you like good mysteries with definite plots, twists and turns, and a complete dearth of male detectives suffering mid-life crises, angst-ridden reflections on the pointlessness of life and justice, and nasty characters, then you'll be pleased to pick up this brisk, exciting, and thoroughly satisfactory mystery.
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 24, 2011 |
This was an amazingly fast, easy and enjoyable read. There are just enough characters to make it interesting, but not too many to confuse the reader. Darby Farr, a real estate agent in California, receives a call from her aunt's business in Maine that her aunt is in a coma and Darby is to come immediately to close a deal. Darby reluctantly agrees to return to Hurricane Harbor, a place that has too many memories for her.

One of the buyers for the estate that Darby is to close is murdered. The caretaker is attacked and one of the owners is charged with murder. Who is behind this? A secrets are revealed, Darby and her friends try to solve the mystery.

five stars for a first effort from this author. Her next book is Open for Business,but no release date is noted in the chapter at the end of this book. ( )
  LeHack | Jul 11, 2010 |
The last thing that successful, west coast realtor Darby Farr is expecting on a beautiful sunny morning is a deathbed demand from the past. Having fled the small island she grew up on years before, she had no desire to return to her haunting past even in the face of her aunt’s tragic illness and request for assistance.

Regardless of her irritation, it is impossible to turn her back on what may be a final bid for help from her long lost Aunt and Darby is compelled to hop on the plane. She soon finds that this simple request isn’t going to be so easy.

Grab a pint of ice cream, put on comfy pajamas and enjoy. Light and entertaining, “A House to Die For” is a fun mystery and fantastic way to spend an evening!

Reviewed by Shannon Raab with Suspense Magazine
www.suspensemagazine.com ( )
  suspensemag | Jun 25, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0738719501, Paperback)

Red-hot real estate agent Darby Farr has spent years trying to forget her hometown of Hurricane Harbor, Maine—especially the painful memories of being raised by her controlling aunt following her parents' tragic deaths. Then one morning, she learns her aunt is dying, and the calculating woman has one final demand: clinch the multimillion-dollar sale of Fairview, a breathtaking waterfront estate.

The deal seems simple, but trouble is brewing on the rocky coast. Within hours of Darby's arrival, an obscure deed restriction scuttles the sale just as the backup buyer is found bludgeoned to death on the property's grounds. Assisted by handsome journalist Miles Porter, Darby uncovers dark secrets that reveal an ugly scandal . . . and even uglier motives for murder. As a brutal storm surges up the coast, Darby must salvage the deal, find the killer—and somehow stay alive.

"[Doudera] expertly weaves a tale of suspense on a Maine island, where murder and real estate are an explosive combination."-Tess Gerritsen, New York Times bestselling author of The Mephisto Club

"Here's a fast-paced and well-told story with a smart, savvy real estate agent as the heroine, solving crimes while making sales. Bring on the next one!"-Barbara Corcoran, real estate contributor for NBC's Today Show and author of Nextville: Amazing Places to Live the Rest of Your Life

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:33 -0400)

Realtor Darby Farr escaped her stifling hometown to build a new life, but after a phone call sends her back to the small Maine island to close a multimillion-dollar sale, the simple deal turns deadly when one buyer is found hacked to death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,316,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible