Virals by Kathy Reichs

Virals (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: Virals (1)

Member:UrbanFantasyGuy
Title:Virals
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Razorbill (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 464 pages

Virals by Kathy Reichs (2010)

English (87)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (89)
Enjoyable read. Cross between a thriller, young adult and fantasy/Science-Fiction. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Adventure is in Tory Brennan's blood. After all, she’s the grandniece of world-famous forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. Always up for a challenge, Tory and her science-geek friends spend their time exploring the marshlands of Loggerhead Island, home to the very off-limits Loggerhead Island Research Institute, where something strange is going on. After rescuing a stray wolf-dog pup from a top-secret lab, Tory and her friends are exposed to a rare strain of canine paro-vovirus, changing them--and their DNA--forever. Now they are more than friends. They are a pack. They are "Virals"... and they're dangerous to the core. But are they unstoppable enough to catch a cold-blooded murderer?

My Thoughts:

Virals is Kathy Reich's first foray into the young adult world. I was distracted by the numerous typos which made me wonder how much attention was paid in editing. This probably played a big role in my overall impression of the book. I am a big fan of Kathy Reich's "Bones" books and read this one with an open mind. I did find it lacking the usual solid science in the Tempe Brennan books but after all it was for 10 years and up, so... It was entertaining enough to read cover to cover, but not one of my favorite YA books. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Not too bad. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

I like the voice of the main character, you really got a sense of who she is and how she thinks.

The double story line wasn't a big favourite of mine. Neither of them went as in depth as I would have liked but both of them were very interesting at the same time. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
This book was interesting and fast paced. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I always find Kathy Reichs an enjoyable writer and this book is no exception. I do think however, that it was not needed to link this junior fiction series with her "Bones" series. The main character (Dr Temperance Brennan's Neice)could have easily been a convincing stand alone character. The constant reminders of that relationship get a bit predictable.
The story itself was good, mostly plausible, and reasonably fast paced, and after a middle section which dragged a bit, finished with a lots of action and the set up for an ongoing series.
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reichs, Brendanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the good people and dogs of Charleston. Thanks for welcoming me to the neighborhood!
A gunshot is the loudest sound in the universe.

Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage “sci-philes” who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot-if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer’s scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends- they’re a pack. They are Virals.

Tory Brennan is the leader of a band of teenage 'sci-philes' who live on an island off the coast of South Carolina and when the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,744,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible