Virals by Kathy Reichs

Virals (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: Virals (1)

Member:UrbanFantasyGuy
Title:Virals
Authors:Kathy Reichs
Info:Razorbill (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 464 pages

Virals by Kathy Reichs (2010)

English (73)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (75)
I want to give KR the benefit of the doubt here, and assume she was pressured into writing this book. Something along the lines of . . .

PUBLISHER: Kathy we just love your books! The refreshing way you intersperse real-life issues pertaining to forensic anthropology into compelling stories!

KR: Thanks, I do my best.

PUBLISHER: We think it's really important to reach out to younger readers and would really like you to consider writing something for them.

KR: Such as . . .

PUBLISHER: Well, the same amazing mysteries you write, but with concepts that teens find compelling. Like vampires. Or werewolves!

KR: So I should write something that contains both real-life forensic issues and mythological creatures?

PUBLISHER: Exactly!

KR: Did Angel fans put you up to this?

PUBLISHER: Why? Do you think we should be reaching out to them more? Do you think David would pose shirtless for cover photos?

KR: (sigh)

Yeah, it was that bad. That bad, plus a debutante function so she could "borrow" concepts from Gossip Girl as well as Twilight. You're better than this, Kathy. I hope. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Tory is 14-years old and lives with her father on a small island. She and her buddies, who also live on the island, manage to “kidnap” a puppy being used for an experiment. At the same time, they come across a decades-old murder-mystery that was never solved. Tory, being a smart, budding forensic anthropologist, feels she can solve this murder. But, she and her friends are getting weirdly sick, at the same time.

This was good. I liked it, and I love that they rescued that puppy! It is YA, so you get some of the adults-being-clueless and the kids-being-able-to-solve-the-crime going on, but it was still entertaining. This is the first book I've read by Reichs, and I am interested enough to read more. Virals is the first in a series (or trilogy, maybe?), and I will continue the series. I would also like to try her adult books, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
Quite readable story with a vauge link to her Bones series, our heroine Tory is Tempe's niece.

Tory is living on a secluded island of Charleston in South Carolina courtesy of her father who works in a nearby laboratory, her friends are fellow island dwellers and their lives change when they rescue a sick wolf-dog from a secret lab. Getting the wolfdog back to health is their first fight, the second is the murderous intents of someone and thigs get more complicated when they find the bones of a girl who went missing 30 years previously.

Light teen adventure, fun but nothing spectacular. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 6, 2014 |
Good start to a series.
Fast paced and entertaining. ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 3, 2014 |
Tory Brennan is very much like her aunt Temperance Breennan who is a forensic anthropologist and like her aunt she slovng puzzels. Then one day her and her friends Ben, Hi ,Shelton who sciences geeks like her self.
go to logger head island to find the wolfdogs and what they find will change there lives forever. ( )
  AudryS13 | Mar 28, 2014 |

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reichs, Brendanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the good people and dogs of Charleston. Thanks for welcoming me to the neighborhood!
A gunshot is the loudest sound in the universe.

Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage “sci-philes” who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot-if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer’s scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends- they’re a pack. They are Virals.

Tory Brennan is the leader of a band of teenage 'sci-philes' who live on an island off the coast of South Carolina and when the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible