Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

Swamplandia!

by Karen Russell

1,848None3,736 (3.34)1 / 374
2011 (25) 2012 (23) 2013 (17) alligator wrestling (16) alligators (72) American (13) amusement parks (37) book club (11) coming of age (41) contemporary fiction (18) death (20) ebook (19) Everglades (42) family (59) fiction (277) Florida (139) ghosts (42) grief (12) Kindle (17) literary fiction (14) magical realism (28) novel (39) read (21) read in 2011 (16) read in 2012 (18) signed (15) swamp (36) theme parks (12) to-read (75) unread (11)

It took me awhile to get into this story because I'd thought it'd be a fun story about a girl growing up on an alligator-themed amusement park -- not so much. But I did get to a point where I couldn't put it down. I wish the whole book had been about Ava though, rather than split up between her and Kiwi. And the ending felt very rushed on all counts. Russell's writing is beautiful though and I loved reading about the swampy setting. ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
I loved the writing, the atmosphere, the settings, the characters.

The climax is a horror that is almost forgotten once it's over. Is it supposed to be a reference to myth? Maybe. That doesn't make it less horrible in a world the author at first lets us think is mythical but at last leads us to believe is real.

There are some loose ends, questions unanswered. ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
So, in brief: I think the writing is great--really lovely, vivid and figurative. Appealingly weird setup, strong characters, and an enjoyably ambiguous undercurrent of magical realism.

However...holy crap, [event that happened near the end of the book]! I don't think it had to happen quite like that, and I also think that was the point at which Russell started to lose some control over the story. Because of that incident, I don't know if I could ever reread this book, but I am likely to read other works by the author. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I'm going to set this book aside, not yet ready to say abandon it but more than likely will never go back to it. While listening to this audio version I fell asleep, attempted to find where I left off, listened for another hour, then realized I fell asleep for a reason. No I wasn't tired, I just plain found the story boring, not worth my effort and time. Would the book be better in print? Perhaps, but I listened to enough to convince me that I'd do better to go on to other books. ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
After the death of their mother, the three Bigtree children cope with their grief and the impending foreclosure of their alligator theme park, located on an island in a Florida swamp.

This book did not quite align with my expectations. I don't know what I was expecting, exactly, but I had heard a lot of buzz about this novel, and I had the impression that it had some fantastic elements. No, it is a straightforward coming-of-age novel, with a rather disturbing extended kidnapping toward the end--disturbing for me because it took 13-year-old Ava so long to realize that she was actually being kidnapped.

Some criticisms. The book alternates point of view between first-person Ava and the third-person perspective of her older brother Kiwi, who leaves his sisters and goes to the mainland to try to earn some money to save their family's theme park, Swamplandia! I found the style switches to be rather jarring, and I was overall more interested in Ava's story than in Kiwi's. Especially toward the end, switching to his point of view slows down the whole book in a very annoying way. Also, I found the writing style somewhat confusing, as I wasn't sure at times exactly what was being described and therefore what was happening. Sometimes I enjoy this kind of ambiguity, if it is skillfully done, but here, it mostly irritated me.

This book had a lot of potential, and I certainly stuck with it to the end, but overall it was disappointing.

Read due to buzz (2014). ( )
  sturlington | Jan 12, 2014 |
Karen Russell, one of the New Yorker's 20 best writers under 40, is certainly very talented. She received wide acclaim for her first book, the story collection St Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves, which first introduced the Bigtree family in the story "Ava Wrestles the Alligator". This novel has already received great reviews in the US, and it's easy to see why. Many of her descriptions are quite dazzling. On the retirement boat, "The seniors got issued these pastel pajamas that made them look like Easter eggs in wheelchairs." In the swamp, "two black branches spooned out of the same wide trunk. They looked like mirror images, these branches, thin and papery and perfectly cupped, blue sky shining between them, and an egret sat on the scooped air like a pearl earring."

Over 300 pages, the density of the prose can become a bit exhausting, however, and Russell's ability to describe everything in minute and quirky detail is sometimes overwhelming.

Toward the end, the narrative takes an unexpected turn, finally unraveling its intricate balance between a child's stubborn imagination and the stark horrors of reality.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, Sam Adams (Feb 24, 2011)

Karen Russellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I see nobody on the road," said Alice. "I only wish that I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at that distance too! Why it's as much as I can do to see real people, by this light!" --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
For my family
Our mother performed in starlight.
The lake was planked with great gray and black bodies.  Hilola Bigtree had to hit the water with perfect precision, making incremental adjustments midair to avoid the gators.
The Chief blinked and blinked, as if he had momentarily blinded himself with his own silver lining.

As their island home and alligator-wrestling theme park is threatened by a sophisticated competitor, twelve-year-old Ava struggles to cope with her mother's death while her sister, brother, and father all try to deal with their grief in their own unusual ways.

This novel takes us to the swamps of the Florida Everglades, and introduces us to Ava Bigtree, an unforgettable young heroine. The Bigtree alligator wrestling dynasty is in decline, and Swamplandia!, their island home and gator wrestling theme park, formerly no. 1 in the region, is swiftly being encroached upon by a fearsome and sophisticated competitor called the World of Darkness. Ava's mother, the park's indomitable headliner, has just died; her sister, Ossie, has fallen in love with a spooky character known as the Dredgeman, who may or may not be an actual ghost; and her brilliant big brother, Kiwi, who dreams of becoming a scholar, has just defected to the World of Darkness in a last-ditch effort to keep their family business from going under. Ava's father, affectionately known as Chief Bigtree, is AWOL, and that leaves Ava, a resourceful but terrified thirteen, to manage ninety eight gators as well as her own grief. Against a backdrop of hauntingly fecund plant life animated by ancient lizards and lawless hungers, the author has written a novel about a family's struggle to stay afloat in a world that is inexorably sinking.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible