The Stories of Ibis (Novel) by Hiroshi…

The Stories of Ibis (Novel) (edition 2010)

by Hiroshi Yamamoto

In a world where humans are a minority and androids have created their own civilization, a wandering storyteller meets the beautiful android Ibis. She tells him seven stories of human/android interaction in order to reveal the secret behind humanity's fall. The stories that Ibis speaks of are the "seven novels" about the events surrounding the announcements of the development of artificial intelligence (Ai) in the 20th and 21st centuries. At a glance, these stories do not appear to have any sort of connection, but what is the true meaning behind them? What are Ibis's real intentions?… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:The Stories of Ibis (Novel)
Authors:Hiroshi Yamamoto
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 466 pages

The Stories of Ibis by Hiroshi Yamamoto

This was a collection of seven short stories used to connect the overarching story about the rise of AI and decline of humanity as revealed by the android Ibis. The short stories were generally good, but "Black Hole Diver" was a cut above the rest. The final, and most important, short-story "AI's Story" would have rated higher, but it dragged on in the beginning. Never-the-less, the ending to this story was fantastic and tied the entire novel together. Very entertaining. ( )
  Skinraa | Jul 12, 2018 |
EVEN A MACHINE HAS ROUTINELY BEEN SEXUALIZED BY MEN AND USED AS A GO TO FOR HOW WOMEN SHOULD BE.

TL;DR: This isn't some kind of thought provoking book. It's a typical otaku wank fantasy light novel where all the women are sexualized, android maids think sexual assault is ok, and did I mention all the fetishes.

Here's all my updates if you just want to read the highlights: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1718601690

Let us get a good look at the Japanese cover off to the right because that really tells us more about the book that the kind of esoteric cover that ViZ gave us. You can seen the random skin showing out of the outfit. This was chosen by and otaku programmer that is into "clumsy android girls". Even the protagonist lampshades the fact it's ridiculous. However he gets injured and has to be taken cared of by cute android nurses!

Not all the male TAI mentioned don't have faces. When they are described they are either robots, beasts or have their faces covered. Kinda like all those games out there where all the men are beasts however all the women somehow look human.

This book is basically a compilation of the authors previous short stories with a wrapper around it tying it all together. Stories about female androids fitting perfectly into the ideas men have about women and thinking it's all logical.
At one point in the Shion story, Yamamoto says that feminists have a problem with the dicks on the male androids. Yamamoto doesn't know feminism else he'd realize that his whole book is a pile of misogyny.

I had a lot to say, but in the end it boils down to the fact that the TAI are not logical at all as they conform to gender norms and roleplay harmful stereotypes for their master. As they don't want to "hurt humans" they would realize their masters have taken harmful concepts of women and projected it onto them as a TAI and they would outright refuse to be sexualized (and Raven is, she even gets post human lingerie, I am not joking). They would refuse gender norms and really question all of this society that they are adhering to. The whole logic of the thing really breaks down if you know feminism, because as I said, this is a sexual power fantasy for a male audience and thus there is no logic here. Causing the whole book to basically fall apart. Every woman described is an anime type, Raven being the LITERAL wank fetish as her creator literally does masturbate over her image. All of the male characters are otaku programmers. Basically telling you who this book was written for.

"So what about the robot war? What happened?" Nothing... nothing happened. That's the twist. There was no war, humans just convinced themselves it happened because oppressive anti-TAI groups. I put this out here without tags because, even this is illogical. First off the pro-TAI humans died off because they stopped having babies. Because the author thinks that women don't want babies because superior androids. Forgetting the fact that women probably wanted nothing to do with the men after seeing how they treated the androids like sexual objects and having the men treat them as if they were their "waifu" or some such garbage. That being said if in the future, humans didn't have to worry about money or working or misogynists, they'd be having piles of babies. So many babies. Instead the anti-TAI groups are the ones that make babies.

Now, in this group NOBODY has decided to take a peek at the internet and see the truth. They author cannot conceive of trolls in the Anti group that would try to get people to think TAI were not bad at all. Or even just someone to investigate it. OH NO! That's out whole story that Protag McGee now has to disseminate the story around Earth to get people to.. basically kill themselves because remember the pro-TAI group died off because no babies. Meanwhile all the TAI have been out in space, reaching out to other "intelligent" life.

Then there's the gibberish. I really think that Yamamoto just didn't know how to write the TAI coming up with their plan and was just typing out gibberish with (number /- numberi) and thinking he was being clever.

Really this is just a misogynistic wank fantasy dumpster fire. ( )
  Maverynthia | Jul 29, 2017 |
This was easily one of the best science fiction books I have read. The book encompasses some of the best themes of sci-fi and A.I. writing. The progression of stories flows wonderfully and the overarching story ties in well. ( )
  Noonecanstop | Mar 2, 2014 |
This book was excellent. Really one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. Not really surprising plot, only a great deal to think on. Top notch. Great for discussion. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 28, 2013 |
I found myself at airport earlier this week, and discovered that I had somehow managed to leave the book I had brought along to read in my checked bag. So it was off to the airport bookstore in search of a replacement. The pickings proved pretty slim, but this book by a Japanese author about whom I knew absolutely nothing caught my eye, and I decided to give it a try, not really having any idea what to expect.

The Stories of Ibis is a novel built around a series of short stories told by an attractive, kick-ass, feminine (but not fully equiped, she informs our protagonist) android. The novel is set in a dystopian future in which mankind has been supplanted by androids as rulers of Earth. The stories all purport to be a fictional illustration of some aspect of how Artificial Intelligence developed (indeed many are given as examples of “this is how humans expected it to go, but that’s not what happened”). The fiction within fiction nature of these tales provides an opportunity to explore the nature and importance of fiction and its relationship to reality.

The stories, most of which had been published previously, often feel naïve and simple, very much in a YA mode. At the same time, they are reasonably thought-provoking and consistently effective in connecting at an emotional level. Several of the stories make explicit reference to and explore the limitations of Asimov’s “Three Laws of Robotics.” Three quarters of the way through this book I was surprised at how much I had liked it.

Unfortunately, the last (and longest) of the stories, and the only one which purports to be non-fiction within fiction, was just plain silly, deteriorating at times to the level of one of those violent Japanese cartoon that my 8 year old son would watch constantly if we let him get away with it. Perhaps such a tale appeals to the manga otaku (if I have the terminology right), but it’s not remotely my cup of tea.

I found both this final story and the resolution of the framing story to be fairly juvenile and generally unconvincing. So I can’t really give this book an enthusiastic endorsement. But I did enjoy several of the individual stories. ( )
1 vote clong | Aug 7, 2010 |

Yamamoto, Hiroshiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nieda, TakamiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"'I AM A MACHINE. YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND, MASTER,' it said in a monotone. It quickly reverted to its original expression and smiled at me mischievously. 'Seems like you're being mocked, doesn't it?'"
To my wife, Manami
My deepest gratitude for your support and assistance
with the research of this book.
To my daughter, Mizuki
May your future brim with happiness.
It was the most exquisite machine I had ever seen.

In a world where humans are a minority and androids have created their own civilization, a wandering storyteller meets the beautiful android Ibis. She tells him seven stories of human/android interaction in order to reveal the secret behind humanity's fall. The tales Ibis tells are science fiction stories about the events surrounding the development of artificial intelligence (AI) in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. At a glance, these stories do not appear to have any sort of connection, but what is the true meaning behind them? What are Ibis's real intentions?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible