The Winner by David Baldacci

The Winner (1997)

by David Baldacci

English (45)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (49)
Quick enjoyable light read. ( )
  DellaPenna | May 15, 2015 |
The Winner – not!
I had seen the name many times, but had never read anything by David Baldacci until last week. That Baldacci is a prolific writer is evinced in any airport book store. I was expecting something light and easy like Grisham, but it was a whole lot worse.
The two main characters, LuAnn Tyler, and Jackson, are completely implausible, and at times self-contradictory. Jackson was supposed to be ‘terrifying’, we were told so repeatedly, but he was laughable at best. Baldacci also repeatedly tells us how beautiful and sexy LuAnn Tyler is. In fact, she is quite remarkable. Not only is she drop dead gorgeous, but she can lay a man out with one punch and split firewood faster, and for longer than, a seasoned groundsman can. Whew! That’s really hot!
Most of the supporting characters are cliché. Some of that I can forgive, even from a best-selling author, but that was not the worst of it.
The 513 pages of repetitive narrative in a hick voice is hard to not put down as the boredom sets in. Sentence structure at times is abominable. More than once, I had to stop and check that I had read a sentence correctly, and had not drifted off and slipped into autopilot.
The rice-paper plot limps along towards a predictable, melodramatic, one-woman-army ending after which they all live happily ever after.
It will be a long time before I open another Baldacci novel.
  ajsendall | Apr 5, 2015 |
The Winner – not!
It will be a long time before I open another Baldacci novel.
  ajsendall | Apr 5, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

It was the first book I read by David Baldacci, and I must admit I liked it. I thought it to be interesting to read and original. Some parts were not really realistic, but it didn't really seem to matter in this book. I liked it, I would even recommend it. And it made me buy another book by Baldacci, which I still need to read sometime.
O, wish we had more time to read, but I guess I'm not alone... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Blah.. ( )
  nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |
To Collin, my buddy, my boy, my son
Jackson studied the shopping mall's long corridor, noting haggard mothers piloting loaded strollers and the senior citizens group walking the mall both for exercise and conversation.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446606324, Mass Market Paperback)

THE DREAM
She is twenty, beautiful, dirt-poor, and hoping for a better life for her infant daughter when LuAnn Tyler is offered the gift of a lifetime, a $100 million lottery jackpot. All she has to do is change her identity and leave the U.S. forever.

THE KILLER
It's an offer she dares to refuse...until violence forces her hand and thrusts her into a harrowing game of high-stakes, big-money subterfuge. It's a price she won't fully pay...until she does the unthinkable and breaks the promise that made her rich.

THE WINNER
For if LuAnn Tyler comes home, she will be pitted against the deadliest contestant of all: the chameleonlike financial mastermind who changed her life. And who can take it away at will...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:35 -0400)

A poor young woman is forced to take part in a crooked lottery scheme after she is framed for murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,252,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible