The Winner by David Baldacci

The Winner (1997)

by David Baldacci

English (39)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
This book definitely cashes it in! A stranger, contacts you and offers -- no, guarantees -- you a chance to win a multimillion dollar lottery,. A chance to start over.... have a better life... with practically no strings attached. But is it worth it? Is it full proof? A book with a leap-forward-in-time built into the plot but written without extraneous elaborations, nor holes, making this a very smooth read. Definitely a winner! ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Oh man I could not put this book down! It was full of action and suspense. This is definitely my kind of thriller. Loved it from beginning to end. ( )
  Barb_H | Mar 1, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

It was the first book I read by David Baldacci, and I must admit I liked it. I thought it to be interesting to read and original. Some parts were not really realistic, but it didn't really seem to matter in this book. I liked it, I would even recommend it. And it made me buy another book by Baldacci, which I still need to read sometime.
O, wish we had more time to read, but I guess I'm not alone... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
The Winner, by David Baldacci, is a great light read. Basic plot--the lottery is fixed. Waitress Lu Ann Tyler has been chosen by Jackson to receive the $100 million jackpot, but there are strings attached. She must leave the United States and change her identity. When LuAnn decides to play things her own way and sneak back into the country, Jackson tries to hunt her down. Good action and nice character development. A stand-alone book (which is nice sometimes instead of a series). Fun. ( )
  Berly | Sep 24, 2013 |
SUMMARY:
A woman is offered $100 million to serve as a front for a crooked lottery. The offer is from a gangster who fixes lotteries, the scheme requiring the winner to have certain characteristics, preferably good looking and poor. Waitress LuAnn Tyler accepts, and so begins the adventure of a lifetime as things go wrong. By the author of Total Control.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
To Collin, my buddy, my boy, my son
Jackson studied the shopping mall's long corridor, noting haggard mothers piloting loaded strollers and the senior citizens group walking the mall both for exercise and conversation.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446606324, Mass Market Paperback)

THE DREAM
She is twenty, beautiful, dirt-poor, and hoping for a better life for her infant daughter when LuAnn Tyler is offered the gift of a lifetime, a $100 million lottery jackpot. All she has to do is change her identity and leave the U.S. forever.

THE KILLER
It's an offer she dares to refuse...until violence forces her hand and thrusts her into a harrowing game of high-stakes, big-money subterfuge. It's a price she won't fully pay...until she does the unthinkable and breaks the promise that made her rich.

THE WINNER
For if LuAnn Tyler comes home, she will be pitted against the deadliest contestant of all: the chameleonlike financial mastermind who changed her life. And who can take it away at will...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:35 -0400)

A poor young woman is forced to take part in a crooked lottery scheme after she is framed for murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible