The Camel Club by David Baldacci

The Camel Club (original 2005; edition 2006)

by David Baldacci

Member:Jonmjp
Title:The Camel Club
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Vision (2006), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages

The Camel Club by David Baldacci (2005)

English (102)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (108)
Actually, I'd give this a 3-1/2 star rating, maybe even 3-3/4. The biggest gripe I have about the book is that it was a SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW first half. The second half moved much more quickly and was much more enjoyable. Loved the main characters. The plot line? Not so much. I am pretty good at suspending disbelief, but c'mon man ... this whole thing would SOOOO NOT happen. Overall enjoyable though. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2018 |
The Camel Club are a group of four friends, all social misfits, who meet regularly to discuss conspiracy theories. In this book they inadvertently witness a murder and in following up on the investigation uncover and foil a terrorist plot to use a kidnapped US President to start World War III.

This is a very long book and definitely a page-turner, but I am not sure where all the words have come from, or, at least, where they have all been used. The action and plot line are fairly limited and tend to take a straight line from supposition ('I bet he is a spy...') to confirmation ('Look, he is a spy...'). Characterisation is pretty good, but there are some characters are so thinly drawn that when they impinge on the central story their impact is limited; we either do not care enough, or we do not remember who they are.

The book is dedicated to the US Secret Service and a key character is a member of the Service. In a book this size I expected to read a lot more about the Service, who they are, what they do and, most importantly, how they do it.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment, but a reasonable beach read and I will look out for other books in the series, just not that hard. ( )
  pierthinker | May 13, 2018 |
Did not finish.I just could not get into this one. ( )
  Thelmajean | Apr 5, 2018 |
Talk about a joy ride! Full review to come. ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
Bummer that this audio was abridged - I wasn't paying attention when I grabbed it. I think I would have enjoyed actually reading the book even more, but this was enough to get me interested in finishing the series. I'll go for text on paper next time (which probably means it will be years before I do it.)

Mostly feeling neutral about the characters at this point, but I'm willing to continue since the whole "camel club" set up sounds like a promising conceit for books of intrigue over the long haul. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This novel is dedicated to the men and women of the United States Secret Service.
And to Larry Kirshbaum, a first-rate editor, a great publisher, and a wonderful friend.
The Chevy Suburban sped down the road, enveloped by the hushed darkness of the Virginia country-side.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446615625, Mass Market Paperback)

Conspiracy theories--everybody has one. The difference with this conspiracy is that it's all too real. David Baldacci's The Camel Club takes readers inside the Beltway as four unlikely misfits struggle not only to survive, but to save their president and their country from a plot that will lead to nuclear disaster.

Bestselling Baldacci

Last Man Standing
The Winner
Total Control
The Simple Truth
Absolute Power
Saving Faith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:21 -0400)

The Camel Club is a four-man group of Washington, D.C. misfits, that meet weekly to discuss political conspiracies they believe exist and what actions they might take. One night club members witness the murder of Secret Service employee Patrick Johnson, thus thrusting the wacky crew into the middle of a bigger conspiracy than they could ever have imagined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,628,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible