The Little Sister: A Philip Marlowe Mystery…

The Little Sister: A Philip Marlowe Mystery (original 1949; edition 2010)

by Raymond Chandler, Val McDermid (Introduction)

Member:Widsith
Title:The Little Sister: A Philip Marlowe Mystery
Authors:Raymond Chandler
Other authors:Val McDermid (Introduction)
Info:Penguin (2010), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, 20th century
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, california, los angeles

The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler (1949)

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (btuckertx)
    btuckertx: If you enjoyed The Little Sister, you're going to love The Big Sleep!
    Chasing Darkness by Robert Crais (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: If you liked the more noir-ish voice Crais comes back to here, give Chandler a go - TLS is his best IMO.

English (24)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All (27)
This looked like a good story (crime, thriller) and it was a good audio book. Narrator was clear although some character voices were similar at times. What I did not realise was that it is an old book. Set in days when a packet of cigarettes cost 'a quarter', a phone call a 'nickel', a private investigators worked for $40 a day plus expenses and an actor was well paid earning somewhere between $15,000 and $35,000 per movie. Wikipedia has just dated it as a 1949 novel.

All this aside it was worth listening to and I would like to read/listen to more of Raymond Chandler's novels when the occasion arises. ( )
  DCarlin | Jun 27, 2016 |
Chandler is one of my favourite authors and his tough talking Philip Marlowe is classic. But then that has all been said before.

A plain Jane comes into his office and wants to hire him to find her brother for $20. She thinks he has gotten himself into trouble and she has come out from Manhattan, Kansas to find out.

This simple case is not so simple. Murder and Mayhem are partners in this mystery along with Twist and Turn. An actress on the edge of stardom, a Spanish spitfire, a big shot Hollywood agent and a mobster from Cleveland are just some of the characters in the cast. Are they what they really seem? It is Hollywood, after all... ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
love these "oldie" private detective stories.
  carolynsuarez | Jan 12, 2016 |
[School book -- no full review on this one]

Somewhat convoluted story line but I really like Chandler's writing style. This is the first Raymond Chandler book I've read, so I wasn't sure what to expect going into it. Not bad. I might pick up another Chandler book in the future. ( )
  ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
I love this series. Absolutely. If modern American crime writers could write like this, my tbr pile would be beyond overflowing.

If you want a little more about this book than what I've written here, you can click here and read about it at my reading journal. Otherwise, read on.

Like all of the Chandler novels so far, The Little Sister has a plot that is once again overly convoluted and overly complex, but Chandler is in rare form here, having Marlowe spill his guts about the city, his job, the people and even the state of California.

Marlowe is back in #615 Cahuenga "stalking the bluebottle fly" that's been buzzing around him for a while, when in walks Orfamay Quest, of whom Marlowe notes "nobody ever looked less like Lady Macbeth." She's not Marlowe's usual fare -- no make up, and rimless glasses that "gave her that librarian's look." Hailing from the small town of Manhattan, Kansas, Orfamay wants Marlowe to find her brother Orrin. He came to Bay City a year earlier, and the last Orfamay and her mother heard from him was several months earlier. Now they're worried about him. Marlowe starts his search for Orrin at his last known address, and once again, our hero finds himself heading down the usual tangential road into a case that puts him smack into the glitz, glitter, and moral ugliness of Hollywood, a killer with a penchant for icepicks, corrupt cops, good cops who bemoan the sorts of criminals the city draws, drugs and blackmail. It also leaves Marlowe feeling very, very low.

Once again, Chandler's descriptions of Los Angeles are at peak form, both positive and negative. Marlowe reflects and waxes melancholy on the case, Hollywood, the city and himself, with Marlowe at his most somber state of all of the novels so far. But, while the plot is once again complex enough to keep a file on who's who, how they're connected, etc. etc., I just love the sardonic cynicism of Marlowe. I also found myself for the first time in the series feeling sorry for the guy. I cannot speak highly enough of these novels -- they are some of the most literary crime novels ever written. ( )
1 vote bcquinnsmom | Feb 21, 2014 |

Raymond Chandlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Angell, OlavTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HavankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The pebbled glass door panel is lettered in flaked black paint: 'Phililp Marlowe... Investigations'. It is a reasonably shabby door at the end of a reasonably shabby corridor in the sort of building that was new about the year the all-tile bathroom became the basis of civilization. The door is locked, but next to it is another door with the same legend which is not locked. Come on in - there's nobody in here but me and a big bluebottle fly. But not if you're from Manhattan, Kansas.
'The Little Sister' was republished as 'Marlowe'.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039475767X, Paperback)

A movie starlet with a gangster boyfriend and a pair of siblings with a shared secret lure Marlowe into the less than glamorous and more than a little dangerous world of Hollywood fame. Chandler's first foray into the industry that dominates the company town that is Los Angeles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:03 -0400)

"Little Sister" appears in Philip Marlowe's office--pathetic, appealing but with something strangely phony about her, and Marlowe finds himself in the center of a succession of curious and violent happenings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible