The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel by…

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Diana Gabaldon, Hoang Nguyen (Illustrator)

Member:WPrice
Title:The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Other authors:Hoang Nguyen (Illustrator)
Info:Del Rey (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel, Fantasy, Outlander

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel by Diana Gabaldon (2010)

The Exile – Diana Gabaldon
2 stars

It sounded like a good idea. Make a graphic novel with the characters from the very popular Outlander series. The pre-released artist renderings of the characters were very intriguing. The author promised to tell the beginning of the existing story from a different perspective and hinted at a new plot line. Gabaldon should have known better. For example, the original book has several pages of delightful interaction between Jaime and his young cousin. They talk of horses, women, and the birds and bees. In Exile, this wonderful relationship is reduced to a thought bubble over the head of a generic child, “Jaime is my hero.” The mysterious new plot element is a meaningless ploy to insure that reader’s return to the series. I’m already a fan; I didn’t need to be manipulated. The only real excuse for this project is of course the art. I don’t know much about graphic novels, but I am a big fan of picture books. These drawings did nothing for me. I could not distinguish one character from another. They did not in any way capture the atmosphere of the books for me. Such a disappointment.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This scraped by with four, because I like the series, and this format.

Full review pending... ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
Nice seeing what the author thinks Jaime and Claire look like. Also a fun, different look at the series I've been following since the beginning. I'll look for more of these. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I love the Outlander story so it was I thought I would love this, I didn't. It was disjointed and was difficult to follow. The art work was like a period painting and fit the story well. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
My first graphic novel. I can't say it made me a fan of the genre, but for Gabaldon fans it's an interesting one-sitting diversion. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nguyen, HoangIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

To Del Connell, a true gent with a sense of humor.
Well, you've taken long enough about it, lad!

Graphic novel which tells a portion of Outlander/Cross-Stitch from Jamie's point of view.

"After too long an absence, Jamie Fraser is coming home to Scotland but not without great trepidation. Though his beloved godfather, Murtagh, promised Jamie's late parents he'd watch over their brash son, making good on that vow will be no easy task. There's already a fat bounty on the young exile's head, courtesy of Captain Black Jack Randall, the sadistic British officer who's crossed paths and swords with Jamie in the past. And in the court of the mighty MacKenzie clan, Jamie is a pawn in the power struggle between his uncles: aging chieftain Colum, who demands his nephew's loyalty or his life, and Dougal, war chieftain of Clan MacKenzie, who'd sooner see Jamie put to the sword than anointed Colum's heir."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,893,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible