Dead Man's Chest: A Phryne Fisher…

Dead Man's Chest: A Phryne Fisher Mystery (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher Mysteries (18)

English (15)  Piratical (1)  All (16)
I'm biased because I love this series, it's one of my all time favorites. This one did not disappoint. I'm not usually a fan of books within a series that take place 'elsewhere' - a mystery while the protag is on holiday, etc. But Kerry greenwood did a very nice job with this story, keeping me from missing the regular secondary characters (she did bring a lot of them with her). As an expat living in Melbourne, i love reading about 1929 Melbourne. It is depressing to think I now have to wait another year... ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 12, 2016 |
Dead Man’s Chest – Kerry Greenwood
Read by Stephanie Daniel
3 stars

This is the most recent book in the Phryne Fisher mystery series. These books are very enjoyable to read or listen to. Mostly I listen to them. The plots are very predictable, but the characters are lovable. Besides, sometimes it’s good to have a book that’s guaranteed to have a happy ending.
This book finds Phryne, her companion Dot, her adopted daughters and her dog, on holiday at the seaside. Who would have guessed it…… there’s an unsolved mystery just waiting for them. The story includes smugglers, a group of surrealists, a treasure hunt and a movie in the making. The historical details and literary references are wonderful. The best part of this book is the introduction of a new character, Tinker. Now we’ve got an Australian Nancy Drew with one of the Hardy boys. The only thing missing from this book was Lin Chung. But I’m sure he’ll be back in the next one. Phryne can’t do without him for long.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I want more of this story......

Phryne Fisher (flapper & P.I. extraordinaire) takes Ruth, Jane & Dot to Queenscliff on holiday, however when they arrive they find that the domestic staff of Mr. & Mrs. Johnson have taken a bunk along with their furniture.... Odd thing being Gaston, the Mrs. Johnson's much loved terrier has just shown up.

Being without help @ the height of the season Phryne takes on Tinker (Eddied a local ruffian) and Maire a young Irish woman. Ruth, Dot & Jane help in the kitchen (some recipes included).

Then things take a turn.....Phryne & Tinker begin the search for the Johnsons, the neighbor's son & his loutish friends cause a stir, thus needing a comeuppance, the nasty nosy neighbor dies, a film crew begins filming, the "plait" snatcher is on the loose, and the Surrealists take a liking to Phryne..... Lin Chung is making ready for an appearance, but that will be in the next book!

Whew! Lots of action and fun. The Hon. Miss Fisher is delightful as always.... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
lots of good eating and drinking and holidaying. most excellent ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Phryne goes to the seashore, but mystery inevitably follows. In this episode, Phyrne rents a house in a seaside town, but when she and her family arrive, the promised servants are not there to greet them! As she delves into this, she discovers an appealing new henchperson -- a small but effective boy -- and a collection to a nasty bunch of smugglers. Like its precursor, "Murder on a Midsummer Night", this didn't strike me as one of Phryne's best efforts; for one thing, she is getting awfully domesticated. But any Phryne is worth reading. ( )
  annbury | Oct 24, 2014 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dot opened her eyes. Only because the Hispano-Suiza had, at last, stopped.

When she tries to go on summer holiday, Phryne Fisher discovers that the Johnsons, who were supposed to be at the vacation home, are nowhere in sight, beginning a mystery that involves smugglers, pirate treasure, and the mysterious Madame Selavey.

60 wanted3 pay11 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible