Sunset Park by Paul Auster

Sunset Park (2010)

by Paul Auster

English (38)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (55)
This was another of those books that I would have been happy to go on reading whether it had a plot or not. And that's quite a good job, because what plot it does have is concentrated at the beginning and the end of the book, leaving the middle free for some in depth analysis of the characters. It was curious the way it unfolded - first there was Miles, estranged from his family and in a slightly icky relationship with an underage girl, and then suddenly there are other characters - his family, his dead grandparents, his eventual housemates, all with their own back-stories, fanning out like petals from the centre. I assumed the central character was Miles but it sometimes seemed as though even that assumption might have been incorrect, as the 'camera' panned across the characters. The lack of clear focus was one of the things I liked about the book - I never knew where it was going - and its pefect blend of intelligence and accessibility was another. I wasn't so keen on the ending, but you can't have everything, can you. ( )
  jayne_charles | May 21, 2015 |
Quite an interesting book, set in contemporary North America. Auster is not an author I've read before, and this book, while not making me hungry for more, did not kill my appetite altogether. He seems to be quite good at relationships and can put a reasonably interesting plot together. ( )
  oldblack | Aug 25, 2014 |
Another solid effort by Paul Auster, Sunset Park follows Miles Heller, in a straightforward look at a man who comes of age amid personal tragedy and the 2008 housing crisis. He trades one jail for another, one after the other after the other. Baseball fans will enjoy Auster's allegorical look at the lives of Herb Score, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych and John "Lucky" Lohrke, who all died within six months of each other, between 2008 and 2009, during which this story is set. Not Auster's best, but an enjoyable read nonetheless. ( )
  Bradley_Kramer | May 15, 2014 |
It's stuffed with too many characters to reach a satisfactory conclusion. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
I was a bit disappointed with this, my first Paul Auster book. I found myself really understanding and empathizing with the characters in all their complex issues, especially the guilt and loss experienced by Miles and Morris. But with all that was invested in the residents of the house at Sunset Park, the ending seemed anticlimactic, with no resolution to any of the interpersonal dynamics among the characters. It also took me some time to get used to his style, specifically the frequent use of present tense and mostly third, but sometimes second person, and the frequent multi-page diversions from the narrative where Auster uses repetitive phrases to describe a character's traits. There's some beautiful phrasings and poetic descriptions in these diversions, but they're perhaps too overdone and used too often. Maybe the absence of a resolution or satisfying ending is true to life, making this book better than I realize. But it seems Auster was more focused on how he guides the reader through the story, rather than the story itself. ( )
  NordicT | Nov 2, 2013 |
Though Paul Auster's metafictional narratives have often veered toward the sort of literary gamesmanship that owes little to the conventions of realism, this is a very different novel for him, rooted in the realities of contemporary America--most specifically an ongoing war in Iraq and an economic recession that threatens employment in general and the publishing business in particular.

(Best Books 2010)
added by sduff222 | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 15, 2010)

For most of the year now he has been taking photographs of abandoned things.
GB edition: For almost a year now, he has been taking photographs of abandoned things.

Luminous, passionate, expansive, an emotional tour de force

Sunset Park follows the hopes and fears of a cast of unforgettable characters brought together by the mysterious Miles Heller during the dark months of the 2008 economic collapse.

An enigmatic young man employed as a trash-out worker in southern Florida obsessively photographing thousands of abandoned objects left behind by the evicted families.

A group of young people squatting in an apartment in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

The Hospital for Broken Things, which specializes in repairing the artifacts of a vanished world.

William Wyler's 1946 classic The Best Years of Our Lives.

A celebrated actress preparing to return to Broadway.

An independent publisher desperately trying to save his business and his marriage.

These are just some of the elements Auster magically weaves together in this immensely moving novel about contemporary America and its ghosts. Sunset Park is a surprising departure that confirms Paul Auster as one of our greatest living writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:38 -0400)

After falling in love with an underage girl and stirring the wrath of her older sister, New York native Miles Heller flees to Brooklyn and shacks up with a group of artists squatting in the borough's Sunset Park neighborhood.

111 wanted5 pay8 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sunset Park by Paul Auster was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible