Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story…

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust (original 2005; edition 2005)

by April Pulley Sayre, Ann Jonas (Illustrator)

Member:kredlove
Title:Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust
Authors:April Pulley Sayre
Other authors:Ann Jonas (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2005), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Children's Picture Book

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust by April Pulley Sayre (2005)

I loved this book -- science and poetry together. To me, it seemed perfect for my kids, and I would have given it 5 stars no problem, but I made the mistake of mentioning that I loved it to my 4 year old. He DID NOT love it. "There were no stars!" he objected. He wanted it to be much more dramatic. But I thought it was great, so maybe this is just a kids' book that's really for the parents. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | Aug 28, 2016 |
This book explains how dust comes from everything. I think this can be a good introduction to science in general to show the students that everything you do leaves a piece of you behind. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book because it brought up things I never thought about before. Thinking about how many things are dust that is floating around you is crazy. One thing I really liked is that the book showed sand in the desert and how that is floating around you creating dust. Another thing that I liked about this book was they showed the dust floating through the air in the images so that way you could actually see it. The main idea of this book was to show you more things create the dust around you more than you think. ( )
  escalc1 | Mar 23, 2016 |
What a wonderful read aloud to spark a conversation about something we might not think to discuss--dust. What is dust? Where does it come from? Why do we have it? Where does it go? Theses questions are answered in this beautifully illustrated book. Not only would this book serve as a wonderful launch to a discussion on dust, it would also serve as a backdrop for a lesson on water colors. The author masterfully mixes toast, volcanos, eyelashes, snake scales and crumbling leaves in one sentence about dust in this informative book about the origins of dust.
  aliceanne | Feb 21, 2016 |
This is a very cute book, and I enjoyed reading it. I loved how the author took such a bland topic, and made it interesting. The author gave us many different stories about where dust comes from and how long it can stay on earth. For example, duct can come from volcanoes, and go into the air, and dust can even form when waves break against the sand and sea. I also really liked the author’s language. She did a great job with including interesting points of reference. For example, instead of saying that dust can stick around for millions of years, she wrote, “That dusty film on your computer might have muddied a dinosaur.” I thought that was really cool, especially for children, because it gives them an idea of how long dust actually can stick around. The main message of this story, is that almost everything on this earth is made up of dust. There is dust we can see, and dust that is only seen with a microscope, but regardless of its visibility, it is always present.
  Abeckl1 | Nov 24, 2015 |
For Donnie and Andrea Rogers, friend who have blessed our lives. – A.P.S.
For Jack and Gus – A.J.
At sunrise, the sun, low in the sky, peeks through dusty air.
Dust is made everywhere, every day. A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from its fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings.

What is dust?

But it's the secret
behind one of the
largest, most colorful
sights on earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Explains the origins of dust, what dust is, and how dust shows up in the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,143,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible