Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story…

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust (original 2005; edition 2005)

by April Pulley Sayre, Ann Jonas (Illustrator)

Title:Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust
Authors:April Pulley Sayre
Other authors:Ann Jonas (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2005), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Children's Picture Book

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust by April Pulley Sayre (2005)

This is a very cute book, and I enjoyed reading it. I loved how the author took such a bland topic, and made it interesting. The author gave us many different stories about where dust comes from and how long it can stay on earth. For example, duct can come from volcanoes, and go into the air, and dust can even form when waves break against the sand and sea. I also really liked the author’s language. She did a great job with including interesting points of reference. For example, instead of saying that dust can stick around for millions of years, she wrote, “That dusty film on your computer might have muddied a dinosaur.” I thought that was really cool, especially for children, because it gives them an idea of how long dust actually can stick around. The main message of this story, is that almost everything on this earth is made up of dust. There is dust we can see, and dust that is only seen with a microscope, but regardless of its visibility, it is always present.
  Abeckl1 | Nov 24, 2015 |
This book explained the several different places that dust comes from. Like the humans, animals, wheels from bikes and tractors, etc. The book also tells us that any small particle is considered dust. This book could be read in Science class. Kids would like it because it is not a long book. They would not get bored with it because there is only one or two sentences on each page. ( )
  kcaffrey | Nov 12, 2015 |
This is exactly what the sub title explains, "the surprising story of dust." The book talks about what dust can possibly consist of all over the world, from seal eyelashes to moon particles.
  kacieholt | Mar 25, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. Even though this book is a book about dust, the author is able to make the content interesting and apply to the reader's life. For example, “A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from its fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings. That’s dust.” Most readers may have had experiences with a flower, dog, or butterfly. This quote also is an example of imagery. This description easily helps the reader picture what dust could be or where it could come from. I also like this book because of the colorful pictures that match the text on each page. Colorful and bright illustrations keep the reader engaged with the story. I also enjoyed the use of vivid verbs that support the imagery of the text. For example, “Wind spreads dust, floating, swirling, sprinkling, bits of you and me and soil and stars.” The book includes accurate information while telling a fictional story. The end of the story says, “All the dust of our day will scatter light this evening...The dust of our day will color the sunset we see.” The sentence that the author ended the story with shows the positive aspects of dust. The end of the book includes an in depth and scientific description about dusts and sunsets. I think this is useful for children that want to learn more specific information about dusts. The big idea of the story is that that the smallest and unexpected objects could also be beautiful. Dust is an object that is unwanted to most, however it is part of the creation of sunsets. ( )
  ktran4 | Feb 3, 2015 |
Dust is everywhere and can come from anything. Everything makes dust like dogs, pollen, comets, and humans. This story tells you just that. Dust comes from many different places for example, you never know if the dust that is coming from outside is and into your room is the same dust that came from a star. It is an interesting story about the science of dust. I never looked at dust as being too important or where it could come from. ( )
  lruano | Nov 23, 2014 |
For Donnie and Andrea Rogers, friend who have blessed our lives. – A.P.S.
For Jack and Gus – A.J.
At sunrise, the sun, low in the sky, peeks through dusty air.
Dust is made everywhere, every day. A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from its fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings.

What is dust?

But it's the secret
behind one of the
largest, most colorful
sights on earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Explains the origins of dust, what dust is, and how dust shows up in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,868,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible