Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story…

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust (original 2005; edition 2005)

by April Pulley Sayre, Ann Jonas (Illustrator)

Member:kredlove
Title:Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust
Authors:April Pulley Sayre
Other authors:Ann Jonas (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2005), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Children's Picture Book

Stars Beneath Your Bed: The Surprising Story of Dust by April Pulley Sayre (2005)

This is exactly what the sub title explains, "the surprising story of dust." The book talks about what dust can possibly consist of all over the world, from seal eyelashes to moon particles.
  kacieholt | Mar 25, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. Even though this book is a book about dust, the author is able to make the content interesting and apply to the reader's life. For example, “A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from its fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings. That’s dust.” Most readers may have had experiences with a flower, dog, or butterfly. This quote also is an example of imagery. This description easily helps the reader picture what dust could be or where it could come from. I also like this book because of the colorful pictures that match the text on each page. Colorful and bright illustrations keep the reader engaged with the story. I also enjoyed the use of vivid verbs that support the imagery of the text. For example, “Wind spreads dust, floating, swirling, sprinkling, bits of you and me and soil and stars.” The book includes accurate information while telling a fictional story. The end of the story says, “All the dust of our day will scatter light this evening...The dust of our day will color the sunset we see.” The sentence that the author ended the story with shows the positive aspects of dust. The end of the book includes an in depth and scientific description about dusts and sunsets. I think this is useful for children that want to learn more specific information about dusts. The big idea of the story is that that the smallest and unexpected objects could also be beautiful. Dust is an object that is unwanted to most, however it is part of the creation of sunsets. ( )
  ktran4 | Feb 3, 2015 |
Dust is everywhere and can come from anything. Everything makes dust like dogs, pollen, comets, and humans. This story tells you just that. Dust comes from many different places for example, you never know if the dust that is coming from outside is and into your room is the same dust that came from a star. It is an interesting story about the science of dust. I never looked at dust as being too important or where it could come from. ( )
  lruano | Nov 23, 2014 |
There was a lot i did not know about dust before reading this book and i think a lot of students would be equally interested by what the book says and I like that it is told in a more story like way with child like pictures rather than scientific pictures of dust.
  abigail.shafer | Aug 14, 2014 |
A book about dust! But. wait, it's really interesting and it makes you think about dust in an entirely new way. What if the dust in your living room is old dinosaur bones? Did you know that dust creates sunsets?
  gfurth | Jun 11, 2014 |
For Donnie and Andrea Rogers, friend who have blessed our lives. – A.P.S.
For Jack and Gus – A.J.
At sunrise, the sun, low in the sky, peeks through dusty air.
Dust is made everywhere, every day. A flower drops pollen. A dog shakes dirt from its fur. A butterfly flutters, and scales fall off its wings.

What is dust?

But it's the secret
behind one of the
largest, most colorful
sights on earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Explains the origins of dust, what dust is, and how dust shows up in the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,957,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible