Capitol Offense by Barbara Mikulski

Capitol Offense (1996)

by Barbara Mikulski

Other authors: Marylouise Oates (Author)

This book was sent to me out of the blue. I have no idea why.

I tired to investigate to see why and could not figure it out, but I read it, and it was a fairly quick read.

There are good things, and things that require work to elevate this. But without that work and as the book is over 16 years old, it is a few hours of entertainment.

The main character is conflicted. She is appointed to the US Senate when the previous senator dies. Pennsylvania of 16 years ago apparently required that such appointments be temporary and at the next election, there be an election open to all for the vacated seat.

So our Heroine waffles between should she run for the seat or not.

The book is the same. Is it a story about the US Senate and women there, or is it a mystery. It can not make up its mind. Hence a middle of the road rating. If it had given itself over to the full mystery with more red herrings, more suspicious characters, and suspicion on our heroine, it might have elevated itself.

Or if it had delved further into the wheeling and dealing, the party politics, the backroom side of the senate, it would have elevated. Instead we have a 50 something heroine, who dabbles a bit here and there, and then has the MIA vietnam issue, which has greatly faded now, try to become a focus.

Three hours of passive enjoyment for characters that you can't connect with as it is all in first person rendition. But if you want to see the Senate from a women's POV, this may it. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jul 28, 2012 |

Barbara Mikulskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oates, MarylouiseAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Co-author, Marylouise Oates

Eleanor "Norie" Gorzack has been appointed to finish out the term of the suddenly deceased senior senator from Pannsylvania. The someone starts killing people involved in the MIA issue, and Norie may be next on the hit parade.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451190327, Mass Market Paperback)

If it's true that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors, it's fortunate that Senator Barbara Mikulski is willing to share what she learned and do so in the form of a thrilling novel. Mikulski, in collaboration with journalist Marylouise Oates, has put together a page-turning fictional story of a woman senator whose activist ways win her fans at home but endear few in the back rooms of Capitol Hill. She is faced with decisions that will sustain your interest and reveal some of the wicked ways of Washington.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

U.S. Senator Norrie Gorzack, serving on the select committee on MIAs, investigates the murders of a Vietnam War vet and of a staffer. The investigation sheds light on the fate of a group of MIAs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,402,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible