Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Mothers and Other Liars by Amy Bourret

Mothers and Other Liars

by Amy Bourret

Couldn't put it down. As a mother, this hit home hard. I couldn't imagine the thought of giving up one child in order to keep another. ( )
  klbradley | May 9, 2018 |
Nine years ago, Ruby began a journey...on her way to California, she stopped at a rest stop, and discovered a baby in a trash can. Ruby rescued the baby, whom she called Lark, and raised her as her own.

And then, she came across an ad in a magazine, Lark had a family, who has been looking for her all these years. Apparently, the car that Lark was in had been hijacked, and the baby left at the rest area by the car thieves... It never had occurred until now to Ruby that Lark wasn't abandoned.

With turmoil in her heart, Ruby calls an attorney to try to make things right...

Sometimes, family isn't about blood... ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
Would give this a 2 1/2 if i could. Likeable characters and potential for a great plot. However, I found the author drolls on and on at some points in the book eluding to an impending crisis/revalation. Almost gave up at times because of it. That paired with the unlikely ending left me a bit unsatisfied. A mother of a 9 yr old comes across a magazine article that can change the lives of everyone close to her. She is constantly wrestling with how to handle the situation and figure out what is the right thing to do. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Being adopted as an infant, I'm a sucker for just about any book with an adoption theme. And while I really enjoyed it (read it in practically one sitting), I can't rate it any higher for the many of the reasons mentioned by previous reviewers. I could have gotten past the improbable premise that a reasonably sane person, regardless of their emotional state, would keep a baby they found abandoned, but the ending was, quite frankly, ridiculous. That said, I enjoyed it and would probably still recommend it as a feel good beach read. ( )
  kmroy0320 | Sep 5, 2014 |
The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
In memory of Anne Marie and Estel Henry "Wede" Wedemeyer, a bighearted pragmatist and a hardworking dreamer who taught me to believe in daffodils and in love.
Ruby Leander's third life ends with the flip of a page.

How far will a mother go to save her child?

Ten years ago, Ruby Leander was a drifting nineteen-year-old who made a split-second decision at an Oklahoma rest stop. Fast forward nine years: Ruby and her daughter Lark live in New Mexico. Lark is a precocious, animal loving imp, and Ruby has built a family for them with a wonderful community of friends and her boyfriend of three years. Life is good. Until the day Ruby reads a magazine article about parents searching for an infant kidnapped by car-jackers. Then Ruby faces a choice no mother should have to make. A choice that will change both her and Lark's lives forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

It's been 10 years since Ruby Leander found a baby in an Oklahoma rest stop trash can and kept the girl. Now settled in Santa Fe with her daughter Lark, Ruby reads an article about an infant kidnapped by car-jackers. Suddenly, the lie she created about Lark's origins is shattered.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amy Bourret's book Mothers and Other Liars was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,413,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible