The Things a Brother Knows by Dana Reinhardt

The Things a Brother Knows

by Dana Reinhardt

A good book illustrating the point that it's important to offer those you love the healing they need rather than the healing you want them to have. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I think it was meant to be that I read this book on a Veteran's Day Weekend. I was in tears half of the time, and this book made me think about the people who I know personally who make this sacrifice because that is just who they are. It makes me wonder what they hide from us and how we could help them more. I really enjoyed this book overall and will probably read it again on another Veteran's Day Weekend to remind me of the things our soldiers do for us without hesitating.
  KamenRiderLuna | Aug 18, 2013 |
Realistic, emotionally honest, and timely story. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Three years ago, Levi's brother shocked everyone by enlisting in the Marines. Now Bo's back, but he's not the Boaz who left. This one is withdrawn, never coming out of his room, barely speaking to anyone. He hasn't been back long when he takes off again, to hike the Appalachian Trail, but Levi knows that's not true. Just finding him is hard enough. Unraveling who Boaz has become is even harder.

Aftermath of war, sibling relationships, the effects on those left behind. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
This story takes place in modern Boston and ends in an interestingly unexpected location. Levi, who is a 17 year-old that runs in his spare time, has an older brother, Boaz, who is expected to return from the military any day now. When Boaz returns there is something not quite right with him. The main character, Levi, is trying to figure out, along with his family, why his older brother is acting so strangely. One night Boaz was offered by his grandfather and brother to go out to eat. Levi then realized that Boaz was afraid to drive in cars because Boaz met them at the restaurant late because he walked there. Everyone, who lives where Levi does, knows that Boaz left for the military because he was something of a perfect child and everyone loved him. A couple of weeks after Boaz returned home he announced that he was going to hike in the mountains. Levi sets out to follow him because he knows that this is not true because he has a feeling that only a brother can have.
I really enjoyed this story because it was filled with kind of an unknown aspect that you can only find in a book like this. It was a compelling story and I stayed interested throughout because of the fun characters. I recommend this story to a mature audience that will truly enjoy it.
  ahsreads | Nov 30, 2012 |
In a Boston suburb, Levi's older brother, Boaz, has just returned from fighting in some desert country half a world away. The U.S. Marines say Boaz is healthy, but Levi thinks otherwise. Levi misses Boaz as he remembers him, before he left two years earlier: a high-school hero. Reinhardt's poignant story of a soldier coping with survivor's guilt and trauma, and his Israeli American family's struggle to understand and help, is timely and honest. Unlike Walter Dean Myers' Fallen Angels (1998), about Vietnam, or Sunrise over Fallujah (2008), set in Iraq, this novel is not anchored in a specific war, but Reinhardt sensitively explores universal traumas that usurp the lives of many soldiers and their loved ones.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Frances Bradburn (Aug 10, 2013)

Although they have never gotten along well, seventeen-year-old Levi follows his older brother Boaz, an ex-Marine, on a walking trip from Boston to Washington, D.C. in hopes of learning why Boaz is completely withdrawn.

55 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible