Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Squirrel seeks chipmunk a wicked bestiary by…

Squirrel seeks chipmunk a wicked bestiary (edition 2010)

by David Sedaris, Ian Falconer

Member:Jakbart
Title:Squirrel seeks chipmunk a wicked bestiary
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ian Falconer
Info:London Little, Brown 2010
Tags:store, humor

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

English (141)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (144)
2.25 stars

This is a series of stories/jokes about anthropomorphized animals. I listened to the audio. I thought I would like it, given how much I love animals, and there were amusing parts, but I wasn't that impressed. It really wasn't that funny, and it read more like short stories (of which I am not a big fan). With it being "short stories" on audio, if I got distracted, I missed way more than I would have in a novel, and I didn't care enough to back up and listen to what I'd missed. I also wasn't crazy about the readers (there were four of them, though one was better than the others). I did like, though, that he mentioned some issues on how animals are treated by some humans (bear dancing, even zoos - the lack of space, etc). ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 3, 2019 |
This book I would recommend to someone who was looking for something a bit different. The book is split up into several smaller stories involving different animals and problems they may encounter from time to time. Like a story of a haughty bear thinking she's the greatest with no mother and telling everyone she meets about it trying to get sympathy votes. She winds up getting what she deserves in the end, but it was the way it was told. The story of the squirrel who falls in love with a chipmunk, an unlikely pair who have some issues.

Overall, a good story, but some of the stories could have been longer. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris is a clever and witty book I got from the library. This book is filled with several short stories of all types. Some are humorous, some tragic, some clever and disgusting, some sad, some have an underlying social commentary, and I think some are just for fun! I really enjoyed it. I got the audible version and the narration was excellent! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Feb 25, 2019 |
I read the hardcover in combination with the audiobook, so apart from 'The Vomit-Eating Flies,' which is not included in this particular physical edition, all stories were brought to life via illustrations. This collection was unexpected. It is definitely for mature audiences as the subject matters and language are often crude. I thought many of the stories were clever, and the anthropomorphizing of animals frequently resulted in humorous and sentimental moments. 'The Motherless Bear' was my favorite chapter. I also found the narrators for the audiobook to be quite pleasant to listen to, and easy to understand, especially with the aid of the hardcover book. ( )
  Kylalala | Jun 24, 2018 |
Just as I finish reading [b: When You Are Engulfed in Flames|1044355|When You Are Engulfed in Flames|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1440552572s/1044355.jpg|3255908] and am pleasantly surprised by the lack of caustic cynicism in a [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg] book I read this... and am hit with a barrage of surprisingly dark and depressing stories. There are the occasional positive endings, don't get me wrong, but for the most part reading this book was like wading waist deep into a morose swamp. I could see what was being attempted here (who wouldn't enjoy an Aesop's fables of sorts for adults?) but the execution was ultimately lacking. Too much darkness and depression to be funny to me, not enough tongue in cheek reflection.

There were a few stories I enjoyed in the bunch, which is the reason for the two rather than one star rating. "Grieving With Owls" I enjoyed more than not, in spite of the crass nature of the story. Likewise I really enjoyed the title story "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk", which was positive even if a bit bittersweet. The rest hit me as being far too over the top and exaggerated to be thoroughly enjoyable. I can understand why this book didn't go over as well as the rest of Sedaris's, but am looking forward to reading more of his non-fiction essays. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
For the strong- stomached, these tales are toxic little treats, fun-size Snickers bars with a nougaty strychnine center. But at $21.99 for a scant 159 illustrated pages, Squirrel doesn't quite make a meal.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Falconer, IanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister Gretchen
The cat had a party to attend, and went to the baboon to get herself groomed.

Featuring David Sedaris's unique blend of hilarity and heart, this new collection of keen-eyed animal-themed tales is an utter delight. Though the characters may not be human, the situations in these stories bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of everyday life.

In "The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck," three strangers commiserate about animal bureaucracy while waiting in a complaint line. In "Hello Kitty," a cynical feline struggles to sit through his prison-mandated AA meetings. In "The Squirrel and the Chipmunk," a pair of star-crossed lovers is separated by prejudiced family members.

With original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books, these stories are David Sedaris at his most observant, poignant, and surprising.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:44 -0400)

The author presents a collection of three animal-themed essays. In The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck, a group of complete strangers bitterly discuss the order of things within the animal kingdom. In Hello Kitty, a miserable alcoholic cat attends AA. In The Squirrel and the Chipmunk, two lovers are torn apart by their quarrelling families.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,463,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible