Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary…

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (edition 2010)

by David Sedaris, Ian Falconer (Illustrator)

Member:gypsysmom
Title:Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ian Falconer (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:humour, animals

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

English (113)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (116)
Such a fun read! A collection of fables but fables that are cruel and dark and funny and not what you'd expect. Ian Falconer's illustrations are also spot on. ( )
  Iira | Jul 27, 2015 |
In all honesty, I am not sure what I just read. Sedaris has a truly unique and offbeat approach to humour in this work that reads like a series of short parables or fairy tales told from animals' perspectives. Some of the stories, like the dancing bear, are genuinely sad, but many just made me shake my head a little. An odd little book. ( )
  Meggo | May 31, 2015 |
tiny tales with big morals/analogies. an afternoon read ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
From people who have read this book and the reviews here on Goodreads, this is either a book you love or hate. I loved it. While it was a departure from the lighter touch Sedaris usually employs, I loved the dark humor. Some of the stories were strictly pathos and I liked those less than the ones that were heavily laced with black comedy.

I read this coming off a book that was supposed to be black comedy and highly satirical and was none of those things. I was looking for a fast, light, entertaining read before delving back into a full length novel. This fit the bill perfectly.

It probably helped that I had no expectations going into this book. It's been a while since I have read any Sedaris essays so I wasn't looking for a typical book of essays. This was a perfect distraction - no more, no less. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a short read. ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |
I love David Sedaris, but this wasn't my favorite of his books. Each story in this collection is told by animals. This does allow Sedaris to highlight the irrationality of certain human behaviors and opinions. And there were still times that I literally laughed out loud. But I much prefer the essays from Sedaris's own experience. Still, this audio book made my drives to work more enjoyable. ( )
  porch_reader | Dec 20, 2014 |
For the strong- stomached, these tales are toxic little treats, fun-size Snickers bars with a nougaty strychnine center. But at $21.99 for a scant 159 illustrated pages, Squirrel doesn't quite make a meal.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falconer, IanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister Gretchen
The cat had a party to attend, and went to the baboon to get herself groomed.

Featuring David Sedaris's unique blend of hilarity and heart, this new collection of keen-eyed animal-themed tales is an utter delight. Though the characters may not be human, the situations in these stories bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of everyday life.

In "The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck," three strangers commiserate about animal bureaucracy while waiting in a complaint line. In "Hello Kitty," a cynical feline struggles to sit through his prison-mandated AA meetings. In "The Squirrel and the Chipmunk," a pair of star-crossed lovers is separated by prejudiced family members.

With original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books, these stories are David Sedaris at his most observant, poignant, and surprising.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:44 -0400)

The author presents a collection of three animal-themed essays. In The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck, a group of complete strangers bitterly discuss the order of things within the animal kingdom. In Hello Kitty, a miserable alcoholic cat attends AA. In The Squirrel and the Chipmunk, two lovers are torn apart by their quarrelling families.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible