Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary…

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (edition 2010)

by David Sedaris, Ian Falconer (Illustrator)

Member:gypsysmom
Title:Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ian Falconer (Illustrator)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:humour, animals

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

English (108)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (111)
The short stories in this collection defy description except to say they are anthropomorphic in nature but the blurb above should give you a rough idea of what to expect.
I don't really know what else to add as apparently I didn't get it. I thought it was poorly written & uninteresting. Was there supposed to be a moral to each tale? Again, I guess I'm too thick to comprehend.
I had read all the hype & was really looking forward to stories featuring non-humans but in the end, the whole thing committed the ultimate sin in fiction....it was boring.
I expect reviews will range wildly as opinions will greatly reflect personal taste. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
Having Elaine Stritch as a reader was a wonderfully pleasant surprise. Her reading raised the book listening experience tenfold, with a bittersweet tinge as she's no longer with us. Sedaris takes on animal fairy tales/fables with the warped mindset only he has, and they are entertaining (if a bit crude sometimes). ( )
  sriemann | Aug 11, 2014 |
Trademark offbeat and scurrilous observations from Sedaris applied to the cutesy world of animals. Stylish, rather cruel, but always ingenious: "I tried to tamp down my disappointment. How can you not want to know what your parasites are talking about? I wondered." ( )
  eglinton | Jun 21, 2014 |
Like Aesop's fables, but subtler, and with more cursing. This is actually the first book by David Sedaris that I've read, but I enjoyed it enough that I'll probably try out a few of his other books. ( )
  josh.shartzer | May 23, 2014 |
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris is a short book of modern day animal parables. Each one is illustrated by Ian Falconer (of the Olivia picture books).

This bestiary features commonplace animals in situations that seem to be from the worst of day time television. There is a squirrel who wants to date a chipmunk, a mouse who thinks a newly hatched snake is her child, a bear with abandonment issues, and so forth.

As I'm not a fan of daytime TV or reality TV, I find these essays rather tedious to read.

The only saving grace to this book is Falconer's artwork. Seeing his unique animals doing adult things is somewhere between fascinating and off putting. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 8, 2014 |
For the strong- stomached, these tales are toxic little treats, fun-size Snickers bars with a nougaty strychnine center. But at $21.99 for a scant 159 illustrated pages, Squirrel doesn't quite make a meal.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falconer, IanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister Gretchen
The cat had a party to attend, and went to the baboon to get herself groomed.

Featuring David Sedaris's unique blend of hilarity and heart, this new collection of keen-eyed animal-themed tales is an utter delight. Though the characters may not be human, the situations in these stories bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of everyday life.

In "The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck," three strangers commiserate about animal bureaucracy while waiting in a complaint line. In "Hello Kitty," a cynical feline struggles to sit through his prison-mandated AA meetings. In "The Squirrel and the Chipmunk," a pair of star-crossed lovers is separated by prejudiced family members.

With original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books, these stories are David Sedaris at his most observant, poignant, and surprising.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:05 -0400)

The author presents a collection of three animal-themed essays. In The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck, a group of complete strangers bitterly discuss the order of things within the animal kingdom. In Hello Kitty, a miserable alcoholic cat attends AA. In The Squirrel and the Chipmunk, two lovers are torn apart by their quarrelling families.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible