Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary…

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (edition 2010)

by David Sedaris, Ian Falconer (Illustrator)

Member:gypsysmom
Title:Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ian Falconer (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:humour, animals

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

English (128)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (131)
So far, this is probably my least favorite of David Sedaris' books. It's a shame, I was so looking forward to it...

ETA: Now that I've finished, I stand by my original disappointment. Hmph. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I've been gobbling up these books by Sedaris ever since I first came across his work a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact, I received a book of his in the mail today! So, I was excited to read this one. However, I was so disappointed with this book. Sedaris uses animals to tackle such topics as prejudiced families, going to AA meetings, and bigotry. I so wanted to like this book, but while I appreciated what the author was trying to do, it just didn't work for me. It won't stop me from reading his other books, though, everyone is entitled to at least one "failure", right? ( )
  pennylane78 | Jun 6, 2016 |
Ambivalence is the term that comes to mind after reading this book! There were significantly more *ugh* moments than I expected and definitely more bust-a-gut belly laughs as well! My rating flip-flopped - more than once. The fact that I read it in one sitting (and startled the cat with hoots of laughter) eventually moved it from "liked it" to "really liked it".

Perhaps what made me squirm was the "too close for comfort" look at human foibles 'n' frailties the cats, rats, snakes storks and potbellied pigs so aptly characterized! In my case, Robert Burns was dead on (and it made me damned uncomfortable!) . . "O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us". Rife with edgy satire, Sedaris' compendium of beasts drew me in, in spite of myself.

idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Sedaris gets away with lampooning all the horrible things people say and do, and the ridiculous things they believe by making all the characters into animals. These stories are full of dark, squirm-inducing humor.

I kept thinking of ‘Lives of a Cell’ by Lewis Thomas where he said “Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into war, use chemical sprays to alarm and confuse enemies, capture slaves, engage in child labor, exchange information ceaselessly. They do everything but watch television.”
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of David Sedaris (and his hilarious sister Amy too), but when this came out I was puzzled. I didn't know what to make of it. So I dismissed it, thinking aaw, he's run out of ideas, now he's changing course, and he's looking for a quick income fix.
Shame on me.
This is hilarious. Classic Sedaris really. These are what Gary Larson cartoons would be if they were translated into written stories. Lots of laugh out loud bits, and "hey Martha!" stories as one reviewer called them, because you want to share them with someone nearby. And that's what I was doing.
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
For the strong- stomached, these tales are toxic little treats, fun-size Snickers bars with a nougaty strychnine center. But at $21.99 for a scant 159 illustrated pages, Squirrel doesn't quite make a meal.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falconer, IanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister Gretchen
The cat had a party to attend, and went to the baboon to get herself groomed.

Featuring David Sedaris's unique blend of hilarity and heart, this new collection of keen-eyed animal-themed tales is an utter delight. Though the characters may not be human, the situations in these stories bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of everyday life.

In "The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck," three strangers commiserate about animal bureaucracy while waiting in a complaint line. In "Hello Kitty," a cynical feline struggles to sit through his prison-mandated AA meetings. In "The Squirrel and the Chipmunk," a pair of star-crossed lovers is separated by prejudiced family members.

With original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books, these stories are David Sedaris at his most observant, poignant, and surprising.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:44 -0400)

The author presents a collection of three animal-themed essays. In The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck, a group of complete strangers bitterly discuss the order of things within the animal kingdom. In Hello Kitty, a miserable alcoholic cat attends AA. In The Squirrel and the Chipmunk, two lovers are torn apart by their quarrelling families.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible