Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary…

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (edition 2010)

by David Sedaris, Ian Falconer (Illustrator)

Member:gypsysmom
Title:Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ian Falconer (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:humour, animals

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

English (126)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (129)
Ambivalence is the term that comes to mind after reading this book! There were significantly more *ugh* moments than I expected and definitely more bust-a-gut belly laughs as well! My rating flip-flopped - more than once. The fact that I read it in one sitting (and startled the cat with hoots of laughter) eventually moved it from "liked it" to "really liked it".

Perhaps what made me squirm was the "too close for comfort" look at human foibles 'n' frailties the cats, rats, snakes storks and potbellied pigs so aptly characterized! In my case, Robert Burns was dead on (and it made me damned uncomfortable!) . . "O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us". Rife with edgy satire, Sedaris' compendium of beasts drew me in, in spite of myself.

idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Sedaris gets away with lampooning all the horrible things people say and do, and the ridiculous things they believe by making all the characters into animals. These stories are full of dark, squirm-inducing humor.

I kept thinking of ‘Lives of a Cell’ by Lewis Thomas where he said “Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into war, use chemical sprays to alarm and confuse enemies, capture slaves, engage in child labor, exchange information ceaselessly. They do everything but watch television.”
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of David Sedaris (and his hilarious sister Amy too), but when this came out I was puzzled. I didn't know what to make of it. So I dismissed it, thinking aaw, he's run out of ideas, now he's changing course, and he's looking for a quick income fix.
Shame on me.
This is hilarious. Classic Sedaris really. These are what Gary Larson cartoons would be if they were translated into written stories. Lots of laugh out loud bits, and "hey Martha!" stories as one reviewer called them, because you want to share them with someone nearby. And that's what I was doing.
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
The very first fact you need to understand is that Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris is NOT a children's book. Forget the cute illustration on the cover. While, admittedly, the book does feature short allegorical fables told by animals, be forewarned that the subject matter and lessons here are very much adult in nature. Also note that you wouldn't want children to see several of the illustrations.

The topics covered in the stories include some harsh realities (and language), including a toad, turtle, and duck in line at some bureaucratic agency, a dying lab rat, a cat attending AA meetings in prison, a dog discussing cheating spouses, and a mouse with a pet snake. These stories feature dark satire as the animals in the stories display universal human foibles. As Christopher Muther in the Boston Globe said, Sedaris is "a connoisseur of human nature at its worst."

Sedaris' black humor may not be for everyone. This collection is Aesop's Fables for grown-ups. Very Highly Recommended; http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
"If animals were more like us..." screams the cover blurb, and therein lies the problem with the conceit at the heart of this book - they're not. No amount of anthropomorphosized hippos, cats and owls will make me think, “Wow those animals have the same damn problems that we do”. No, we alone have those problems and having them delivered from the viewpoint of a mouse is missing the point by some distance.

Usually reading a David Sedaris book is entertaining and certainly funny. I laughed once while reading this, a line from a parrot saying that she had “seen a cockatoo in her time”, the rest just left me cold. I kept thinking that if we replaced the animal breeds with human names then, by and large, we would have a group of squalid, humorless and criminally clichéd tales.

I hope this marks an off moment for this author because I love his other work. Whoever encouraged this idea should be whipped.
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
For the strong- stomached, these tales are toxic little treats, fun-size Snickers bars with a nougaty strychnine center. But at $21.99 for a scant 159 illustrated pages, Squirrel doesn't quite make a meal.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falconer, IanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my sister Gretchen
The cat had a party to attend, and went to the baboon to get herself groomed.

Featuring David Sedaris's unique blend of hilarity and heart, this new collection of keen-eyed animal-themed tales is an utter delight. Though the characters may not be human, the situations in these stories bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of everyday life.

In "The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck," three strangers commiserate about animal bureaucracy while waiting in a complaint line. In "Hello Kitty," a cynical feline struggles to sit through his prison-mandated AA meetings. In "The Squirrel and the Chipmunk," a pair of star-crossed lovers is separated by prejudiced family members.

With original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books, these stories are David Sedaris at his most observant, poignant, and surprising.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:44 -0400)

The author presents a collection of three animal-themed essays. In The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck, a group of complete strangers bitterly discuss the order of things within the animal kingdom. In Hello Kitty, a miserable alcoholic cat attends AA. In The Squirrel and the Chipmunk, two lovers are torn apart by their quarrelling families.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,855,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible