Afterlife by Claudia Gray

Afterlife

by Claudia Gray

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
Even though, the end left me wanting. The conclusion to this series was long awaited, and I'm still waiting for more. Hopefully the next books by this author will conclude better, especially Balthazar. At the end of Afterlife we are left hanging on what happens to him and his sister for that matter. The book was good, but not as much as the others. ( )
  lilcrickit | May 9, 2013 |
If you've looked at my review for 'Evernight', the beginning of this series, you'll see that I was a bit let down by that title. Quite honestly, I had given up on the series until my mother (yes, my mother) decided to continue on with it and told me I had to read the rest. I did and, you know what? I'm happy I continued on.

'Evernight' still isn't my favorite book, but the sequels have gotten steadily better and better. 'Afterlife' completes Bianca and Lucas' story. Last we saw them in 'Hourglass', it seemed like all was lost, but Gray had much more planned for her characters!

'Afterlife' is a fine conclusion to the 'Evernight' series. Most loose ends are tied up, especially in terms of Bianca and Lucas' relationship.

The first hundred pages of the novel dragged a bit. I think it had something to do with the fact that the majority of the 'big reveals' were in the second half of the novel. Once we started to learn all the secrets we've been waiting to hear for the past four years, that's when the novel really picked up.

My favorite thing about this novel (and series) has to be the secondary characters. I'm probably alone in this, but Bianca and Lucas, well, they kind of got on my nerves throughout the series. Without Balthazar or Vic, I don't know if I would have seen this series in the same light. By far, Balthazar is my favorite character and I'm quite happy he's getting his own series! And let's not forget Vic. Vic was a great source of comic relief and I loved the interaction between him and 'his ghost' in 'Afterlife'.

I can't say anymore than this: 'Afterlife' may be sappy, but if you want closure (and if you've read 'Hourglass' you probably will), this is it. 'Afterlife' gets 3 out of 5 stars. You can find it at your local bookshop! ( )
1 vote Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Oh my goodness, the sappiness and cheesiness that comprise these books! They have always been this way, but I think they have been getting worse as they have gone along. I laughed out loud several times at the 'romantic' scenes. Are you wondering, why does she keep reading the Evernight series if she thinks it's so bad? Well, I really can't say. Once I read the first two books in a series, I generally feel compelled to finish (although I gave up on the House of Night books by the Casts). Besides that, my only other reason is that I make bad choices sometimes.

Okay, so I'm assuming that if you're reading this review, you either have already read the previous books and are acquainted with the plot or that you have no intention of ever reading them, so don't care about spoilers. At the opening of the novel, Bianca and Lucas are both dead; she's a wraith and he's a vampire. But (big surprise) being dead cannot stop their love (seriously, I'm so moved), as they keep reminding one another every three pages.

Of course, maybe they don't love each other as much in this situation. There is that human girl that Lucas befriended. Could just be me, but, had events transpired differently, I could imagine them getting along really well, if you catch my drift. Besides, Bianca said this: "It wasn't that I loved him any less for being dead—how could I?—but I knew that his life was something I loved about Lucas, and it was gone" (89). Really? I'm buying it. You don't love him less; you just loved him more before. That makes perfect sense. This is true love that lasts forever folks.

Best moment of the book, in my humble opinion, resulted from some poor editing. The final chapter begins with this awesome sentence: "I flashed myself to the small group of people huddled around Lucas's fallen form" (231). I assume that this is supposed to refer to some form of ghostly transportation method. However, what it actually says is that Bianca took off her ghostly jammies and gave everyone a little peek after the big battle. How awesome is that?
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
I knew this was the last book in the Evernight series when I started reading it, but for the first 75% of the book I really wasn’t sure how this would wrap it up. So many things happened, but I didn’t feel like it was headed towards a conclusion. I also knew that there will be a spin-off series that follows Balthazar, so I was really starting to wonder if Afterlife would end with a cliffhanger rather a real resolution. I was wrong!

I loved seeing Lucas’ torment over becoming a vampire and how it changed his interactions with Bianca. Since Bianca turned into a wraith, it is impossible for the two of them to be together the way they were before they both died. They do the best they can though, and I think that they are able to comfort each other in the afterlife.

As with Hourglass, Claudia Gray’s writing pulled on my heart strings and made me cry. I didn’t cry nearly as much as I did when I read Hourglass, but she does have a way of pulling at your heartstrings. It’s just so sad! I still like Lucas and I think he and Bianca are a great couple. Even as I write this, I can remember how much I didn’t like Lucas in the first two books. His character came a really long way; he evolved and understands the world so much more than he did before.

I think Claudia Gray conveys a beautiful message with the Evernight series: there are many shades of gray. Not all vampires are evil, not all wraiths are evil, and not all humans are good. There is good and bad in everything, and all too often we fear what we don’t understand. It is important to look at things from all angels and not jump to conclusions because we were taught to think in a certain a way. Overall, this was a fantastic series.

Visit http://www.abouttoread.com/ for more reviews. ( )
  AboutToRead | May 23, 2012 |
Bianca and Lucas, now even more Juliet and Romeo than before (she’s a ghost, he’s a vampire, they’re immortal enemies), return to Evernight Academy in order to get Lucas help with his newfound bloodlust, and find out more about the whole ghost-vampire enmity thing. After a lot of setup, the plot moves swiftly to the climax and the major elements are resolved. I’m too jaded to take Bianca and Lucas’s ‘I will love you to the end of time’ thing entirely seriously, but I did enjoy Bianca’s reaction to the new, human girl who shows up looking beautiful and in need of Lucas’s rescue. She wouldn’t be (post)human if she didn’t have a moment of potential jealousy, but she actually has faith in her boyfriend, so yay for avoiding pointless misunderstandings! ( )
  rivkat | May 12, 2012 |

When a shocking twist of fate turns Bianca into a wraith and Lucas into a vampire, the star-crosses lovers have no choice but to return to the sinister Evernight Academy to deal with the repercussions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,469,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible