Entangled

Authors:
Info:Century, Edition: First Edition, Hardcover
Rating:***1/2

Entangled by Graham Hancock

Recently added byprivate library, michellapkm, Stjani, eswaim, mathgeek, Antarehs, TaranC, Keffy, mimal, AutumnTurner

bookshelves: abandoned
Read from December 10 to 11, 2013

** spoiler alert ** blurbification - Time is not what it seems...

When a drug overdose causes Leoni, a troubled teen from twenty-first-century Los Angeles, to have a near-death experience, her soul is lifted from the modern world and flung into a parallel time 24,000 years in the past. There her fate becomes entangled with that of Ria, a young Stone Age woman fighting for her life against the ferocious Illimani, an army of evil led by the vicious Sulpa, a powerful demon determined to destroy humanity.

As the invaders annihilate Ria's people, inflicting torture and human sacrifice, Sulpa moves ever closer to his ultimate goal: to manifest physically in the twenty-first century and condemn all of mankind to perpetual slavery. The hour is late and any chance of stopping him seems lost. But there is still hope, if Leoni and Ria can rise to the challenge fate has set them. Uniting outside the flow of earth time, they must venture forth into regions of wonder, master their own deepest fears, and fight battles they could never have prepared for, if Sulpa is to be defeated... ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
A very intriguing tale but the format was very disjointed. I know he was telling two tale that come together, but it falls a little short with the abrupt changes in POV. I enjoyed it, but I am very glad that I bought it on sale and did not pay the full price. It was advertised when Hancock did a Coast to Coast AM show and it was only .99 cents for the EPUB version. It is advertised on B&N for the NOOK, for $9.99. Had I paid that price? I probably would have given it one or two stars. Amazon has it listed for $11.53 for the paperback... again, had I paid that price it would have affected the rating.

It is sort of modern day tale of a Lindsay Lohan type person (wealthy, drug addled) meets the cast and characters of Jean Auel's tales. Mix in a little supernatural... and you get Entangled. Good read, it really was, but it could have been better.

I recommend though if you are a Coast to Coast AM fan or a Nu-Ager or someone who likes reading what seems like an LSD inspired piece. Or someone who likes Dan Brown's style. ( )
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
I tried 4 chapters... I can't say any of the characters made me want to continue reading.
But then there is also the hangover from the Intro, whatever. I can understand, with past record, why Graham Hancock would want to make a few things clear beforehand, to avoid the kind of attacks he has received for his 'non-fiction', but it does not inspire confidence whan an author feels he needs to justify the age of his heroine and a bit of politics/sentiment for some of the protagonists, but also to justify the use of dialogue, and then to not actually do what he said, looks to me like an admittance of failure before it's even started.
Hancock seems to be mistaking language with styles of speech. While it is true that 'Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs can be translated into modern English,' It is not true that style of speech is translated. When talking of Set's meeting with Osiris that led to his death, we do not say, "Osiris got his jive on. 'What now, blud?' he said to Set, who responded, 'Happenin', man?'" So the picture of the heroine on the first page is not just a translation of the dialogue and mindset of an early human, but a sassy 21st century heroine placed into a 24000 year old setting.
These may be minor points to you, but they had me walking away. ( )
  Drakhir | Apr 3, 2013 |
I warmed to the story and felt it was very cleverly done. I look forward to the sequel. ( )
  Arten60 | Jan 23, 2013 |
I'm really not sure what kind of story he was trying for here. Two women, one from the Neolithic and one from modern America have to fight a great evil together, linked by astral travels and the great earth spirit. Hancock uses his theories liberally throughout the book and I can see where some of the ideas come from having read some of his other books.

There's liberal swearing all over the place and probably the main neolithic character did use that sort of language. However it sometimes comes across as a bit lazy. The main bad guy Sulpa is truly evil, with no redeming features, even his followers are afforded no chance to redeem themselves. It appears that Hancock sees the world in black and white.

There's also child abuse which one of the heroes overcomes without any real issues except remembering that it happened. I'm sorry, this just doesn't ring true.

I also had issues with the lack of training for the 21st century hero, she went from being untrained to very capable in a very short amount of time and it just didn't work for me.

Overall it comes across as being the kind of book that could become a SyFy movie, harmless, but not something that makes you want to watch/read it again. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Nov 14, 2011 |

"...Two brave young women living at opposite ends of history are brought together by supernatural forces to do battle with a demon who travels through time. The fate of humanity rests in their hands..."--P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible