dismiss

In the Company of Others (2010)

by Jan Karon

Father Tim and Cynthia arrive in the west of Ireland, intent on researching his Kavanagh ancestry. The charm of their lakeside B&B is broken when Cynthia startles a burglar and sprains her already-injured ankle. Then a cherished and valuable painting is stolen from the lodge owners, and Cynthia's pain pales in comparison to the wound at the center of this bitterly estranged Irish family.… (more)

I enjoyed this second installment in the Father Tim Series much more than her first installment Home to Holly Springs. Ms. Karon did a better job of keeping Tim and Cynthia themselves even though she placed them in a new setting. She does a nice job of bringing resolution to only those problems that can believably have it. This book makes me believe she can be as successful with this series as she was with the Mitford one. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
Maybe 3.5, but I really like the Father Tim books. So comfortable and pleasant. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Episcopal priest, Tim Kavanaugh has taken his wife on a promised trip to Ireland. His Irish ancestors are reveals along with wonderful stories and secrets.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |
Maybe 3.5 stars. I'm a fan of Karon's books, but the Mitford books just have a certain charm I find lacking in the Father Tim books. As usual, there are a lot of quirky characters, a deep message of God's love, and some lovely descriptions, but I didn't care for the amount of journal entries (Father Tim is reading from) and there isn't as much connection to the characters as in many of her other books. Still, I'm glad I read it, especially as I wait for my turn in the library queue for Come Rain or Come Shine.
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
Pleasant books in the Mitford series with strong religious themes. Father Tim and Cynthia, now aged, make a trip back to the ancestral homeland. Lots of family drama in the community and B&B and Father Tim steps in to help all find peace with God. Sweet but the emphasis on God is tiring. ( )
  pennykaplan | Oct 9, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

To readers of this work, I dedicate these words

from the Kavanagh family crest:

Siochain agus Farisinge

Peace and plenty
The beams of their hired car scarcely penetrated a summer twilight grown dark as pitch in the downpour.

As three generations struggle to find deliverance from the crucifying power of secrets. Father Tim and Cynthia discover a journal written more than a century ago by a Philadelphia trained Irish physician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,917,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible