In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel…

In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Jan Karon (Author)

Father Tim and Cynthia arrive in the west of Ireland, intent on researching his Kavanagh ancestry. The charm of their lakeside B&B is broken when Cynthia startles a burglar and sprains her already-injured ankle. Then a cherished and valuable painting is stolen from the lodge owners, and Cynthia's pain pales in comparison to the wound at the center of this bitterly estranged Irish family.… (more)
Member:jecesarz
Title:In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel
Authors:Jan Karon (Author)
Info:Viking Penguin (2010), Edition: 1st, 399 pages

In the Company of Others by Jan Karon (2010)

I registered this book at BookCrossing.com!
I had some difficulty figuring out what the story was. Father Tim and wife Cynthia travel to Ireland for a vacation, a well-deserved one. They stay at a bed and breakfast that has several other guests.

Things happen. Someone breaks in. The daughter of the house is moody and difficult. There is friction between the owner and his brother, who inherited a much bigger house. Father Tim gets into the lives of everyone else - he is usually invited in - and by saying the right things he fixes many things.

There is a lot of god in here. Trust in God and all will be good. Surrender to God and forgive others and forgive yourself.

I did not realize it was to be a religious book (after all, other fictional priests don't preach much) and if I had known I wouldn't have picked it up. Rather too heart-warming for me. I am sure it is comforting to many people but not to me. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Although I enjoyed my vacation with Tim and Cynthia Kavanagh in Ireland and the interesting people they met, this was not as enjoyable a story as others in this series. Tim has finally taken his wife "across the pond" as he promised her, to show her the land of his Irish ancestors. From the very beginning of the trip though, there will be nothing easy about this vacation. Weather, family problems at Broughadoon, where they are staying, and an injury to Cynthia all make for an adventure no one was expecting. Then there is the journal written more than a century ago that Cynthia and Tim discover in the library there and that intrigues them as you will read it along with them. The final discovery though is at the end. It was a nice surprise for Cynthia and for me. Enjoyed the way the author brought this story to its conclusion. ( )
  judyg54 | Aug 26, 2020 |
I enjoyed this second installment in the Father Tim Series much more than her first installment Home to Holly Springs. Ms. Karon did a better job of keeping Tim and Cynthia themselves even though she placed them in a new setting. She does a nice job of bringing resolution to only those problems that can believably have it. This book makes me believe she can be as successful with this series as she was with the Mitford one. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
Maybe 3.5, but I really like the Father Tim books. So comfortable and pleasant. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Episcopal priest, Tim Kavanaugh has taken his wife on a promised trip to Ireland. His Irish ancestors are reveals along with wonderful stories and secrets.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

To readers of this work, I dedicate these words

from the Kavanagh family crest:

Siochain agus Farisinge

Peace and plenty
The beams of their hired car scarcely penetrated a summer twilight grown dark as pitch in the downpour.

As three generations struggle to find deliverance from the crucifying power of secrets. Father Tim and Cynthia discover a journal written more than a century ago by a Philadelphia trained Irish physician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,412,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible