The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

The Broken Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N.K. Jemisin

Info:Orbit (2010), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, BOX10
Tags:Fantasy

The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

I wasn’t prepared for this book.

That probably is a strange thing to say considering that this is book two of a trilogy. And with the second book there tends to be fewer surprises, more exposition. Frankly, book twos have often been a bit of a letdown.

But in The Broken Kingdoms, Jemisin took me by surprise. She more or less picks up where she left off in The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, ten years later (which as you may recall, I Loved). But she brings in a new character, Oree Shoth, a blind artist who sells her wares in the city of Shadow and who stumbles across a dead godling. Oree is a woman “plagued by gods”:

“Sometimes they followed me home and made me breakfast. Sometimes they tried to kill me. Occasionally they bought my trinkets and statues, though for what purpose I can’t fathom. And yes, sometimes I loved them.

I even found one in a muckbin once. Sounds mad, doesn’t it? But it’s true. If I had known this would become my life when I left home for this beautiful, ridiculous city, I would have thought twice. Though I would still have done it.”

The godling in the muckbin becomes an important part of the book, but that’s all I should tell you about.

Oree is more certain than Yeine (from the first book), and there’s less backtracking in the storytelling, probably because there’s less need for the explanation of the gods-mortals relationship now. But like Yeine, she is more or less drawn into situations that are beyond her control.

I really appreciated that the story, while set in the same world, is told from a completely different viewpoint. Sky was where the ruling Arameri family lived (even the servants were Arameri). Shadow, beneath the leaf canopy of the World Tree, is where the regular folk live – some are pilgrims and worshippers, some priests and many, like Oree, are just working hard to make a living. And like many other regular folks, isn’t all that sure about what had happened those ten years ago up in Sky.

“I’m just an ordinary woman with no connections or status, and no power beyond a walking stick that makes an excellent club in a pinch. I had to figure out everything the hard way.”

I’m looking forward to seeing what Jemisin has up her sleeve for the third book. ( )
  olduvai | Jan 19, 2016 |
This sequel to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms takes place 10 years after the end of the first book. A blind artist that can see magic finds a mysterious man apparently lying in a dumpster. She helps the man and takes him back to stay with her. Meanwhile, someone has been murdering godlings and Nightlord has given the city thirty days to find the murderer or he will destroy the entire city. This book definitely lives up to the promise of the first, in fact I think it is even better than The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. Jemisin has created a unique world with a wonderful mythology. I loved reading about the different godlings and their relationships with their parents. Oree is a great character that is strong and easy to route for. Although the book focused on new characters, some of my favorites from the first book made appearances. The growth of the characters was impressive, I am looking forward to the final book in the trilogy. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
Oh my God, this was absolutely delicious!!! Review soon, I've gotta run to reserve book #3 from my library :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I listened to this on audio so that I could finally get to it. I enjoyed the story and the very different perspective than the previous book though the audio narrator was not my favorite. While everything was very enjoyable and interesting, I didn't think it quite measured up to book one. This kind of understandable given my absolute adoration of book one though ;). ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
After reading the first part of the trilogy, I expected that the second book will be a continuation of Yeine's story, so I was very dissapointed that the narrator was another woman. The beginning of the story seemed very dull and greatly boring. Mind you, I mean the story, not story telling, because, let's face it - describing a world from the point of view of a blind girl that has never actually seen it is genious! The narrator's descriptions not only makes the reader visualize, but smell and taste and FEEL the world she is living in - I find this story telling utterly outstanding and the author - a mastermind. Storywise, it got more exciting towards the middle of the book. I loved reading about characters I got to know in the previous part, and again I applaud the author for making such distinction between Oree's and Yeine's points of view of - because their perception of things is very different, they have essencially different opinions about people surrounding them (though, I must admit, it broke my heart that Oree saw Sieh mostly as spoiled, angry, and cruel child - because Yeine saw more good in him and loved him unconditionally). ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I remember that it was midmorning.

After a band of killers begins murdering godlings, blind artist Oree Shoth wonders if her recent guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in danger.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

142 wanted3 pay6 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043966, 0316043958

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,154,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible