The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

The Broken Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N.K. Jemisin

Member:shagger
Title:The Broken Kingdoms
Authors:N.K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, BOX10
Tags:Fantasy

The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

This book more or less suffered the same as the last book. Only this time with a super controlling love interest that's also a god. Lest to say in the end it is a man that once again has to rush to the rescue of the lead and save her and everyone. The book showed a bit more promise than that, but ultimately failed. ( )
  Maverynthia | May 5, 2014 |
I'm tempted to make this review just one word ("Shiny") but that wouldn't be very helpful now, would it? Neither would me wondering how in the world someone managed to break all one-hundred-thosand kingdoms at once be - that's still a lot of kingdoms though! Did someone just put them on a shelf and let a cat lose in the room?

Alright, alright. I'll stop. So. Both the worldbuilding and the way the exposition is done have improved a lot since the first book in the series. Or maybe I've just gotten used to the latter? I'm not sure, I breezed through this book so quickly. Shadow definitely felt more alive than Sky did though, which might have been intentional... once again there's an intriguing mystery plot weaved through the rest of the narrative and once again I enjoyed it a lot - maybe even a bit more than in the first book.

And once again I'm here mostly for the characters, whose characterisation I just loved. Oree and Shiny are the ones that stand out the most, but I also got a really solid sense of who Madding or Hado (...) are and enjoyed the glimpses at all the other godlings and humans who showed up in this story, even if sometimes they were gone a page after they first showed up. And sometimes they showed up again when I least expected them to...

You know what else is happening again? I can't really properly gush about why I love all these characters without huge spoilers. But I love them, and the writing and commentary and the style and and and---

what can I say, it's a very shiny book.

(Sorry.) (Not really.) ( )
  Lymsleia | Mar 23, 2014 |
I have issues with human/god romantic liaisons due to power differentials. However this aspect of the book felt better integrated than it did when (a couple of years ago now) I read the first book of the trilogy. Can only assume the third book will continue the theme.

Actually I think I liked this one better on the whole than the first one in other ways too, though my memory of the first is vague now. I did at times get confused around what was going on (especially trying to figure out what I was supposed to remember what was going on) but mostly everything was revealed at just the right points to keep me rapidly turning pages. ( )
  zeborah | Mar 20, 2014 |
This is the second book in the Inheritance Trilogy by Jemisin. This was a well done fantasy but I didn't like this book quite as much as The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

The story starts 10 years after the last book ended and follows a blind woman with strange magical abilities named Oree. Oree finds the body of a dead Godling in an alleyway and then shortly after that Oree stumbles upon a strange mortal who glows in the mornings who she nicknames Shiny. The mortal man ends up being the fallen Bright Itempas (this isn’t really a spoiler since it’s pretty darn easy to figure out right off the bat). Between Shiny and getting involved with the dead Godling, Oree ends up drawn into a conspiracy of Godlings and mortals.

While I still enjoyed this world and thought the book was well written, I didn't enjoy Oree and Bright Itempas as much as characters. They are both a little standoffish and hard to relate to.

Oree is an intriguing character, she is older...in her 30’s and experienced in life. She has an off and on Godling lover and makes a living selling trinkets to tourists. She has an interesting power, she is able to see magic….but nothing else. She is mostly determined to mind her own business and stay out of the way...but at events culminate and she discovers that she has other strange powers, she is drawn into a conspiracy against the Night Lord himself. There are some wonderful surprises that are revealed around Oree and I enjoyed these.

Bright Itempas, aka Shiny, is just as obnoxious as he was in the first book...but without the endless power. This book is partly about him learning what it is to be human and learning to care about the humans that worship him. He is a very complex character and he does grow and change as the book continues...however I still didn’t really enjoy reading about him.

We also get to meet a number of other Godlings...each of who has their own special realm of influence. There are cameos by Yeine and the Night Lord, I loved this characters so I was glad to see them in the story a little bit. Sieh is also in the story a bit and it was fun to read about him, he is one of my favorites from the first book as well.

The world building is fantastic. This is a richly detailed world full of a complex system of Godlings and the humans who worship them. I loved some of the descriptions of life living beneath the World Tree in the city of Shadow. I also really loved what a great job Jemisin does in portraying Gods and Godlings, they have infinite power and are incredibly old but still have some humanity...Jemisin does a wonderful job of capturing this complexity in a way that is easy to understand. It is just one of the best characterizations of Gods/Godlings I have ever read.

The plot is mostly a mystery. Oree ends up trying to track down the murderer of the Godlings as well as figure out who/what Shiny is. It is well done, fast-paced, and wraps up nicely. There is some humor throughout, as Oree is very snarky at times.

Overall this was an excellent fantasy. I didn’t like the characters as much in this book as much as in the first book of this series. I still really did enjoy the world and thought the plot was well done. The book is beautifully written and the characterization of the Godlings is spectacular. I am looking forward to seeing what the third book in this series holds. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 14, 2014 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I remember that it was midmorning.

In the city of Shadow, beneath the World Tree, alleyways shimmer with magic and godlings live hidden among mortalkind. Oree Shoth, a blind artist, takes in a homeless man who glows like a living sun to her strange sight. However, this act of kindness is to engulf Oree in a nightmarish conspiracy. Someone, somehow, is murdering godlings, leaving their desecrated bodies all over the city. Oree's peculiar guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in mortal danger - but is it him the killers want, or Oree? And is the earthly power of the Arameri king their ultimate goal, or have they set their sights on the Lord of Night himself?

After a band of killers begins murdering godlings, blind artist Oree Shoth wonders if her recent guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in danger.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

193 wanted3 pay6 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043966, 0316043958

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible