The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

The Broken Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N.K. Jemisin

7454212,638 (4)94
Title:The Broken Kingdoms
Authors:N.K. Jemisin
Info:Orbit (2010), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, BOX10

The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Oh my God, this was absolutely delicious!!! Review soon, I've gotta run to reserve book #3 from my library :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I listened to this on audio so that I could finally get to it. I enjoyed the story and the very different perspective than the previous book though the audio narrator was not my favorite. While everything was very enjoyable and interesting, I didn't think it quite measured up to book one. This kind of understandable given my absolute adoration of book one though ;). ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
After reading the first part of the trilogy, I expected that the second book will be a continuation of Yeine's story, so I was very dissapointed that the narrator was another woman. The beginning of the story seemed very dull and greatly boring. Mind you, I mean the story, not story telling, because, let's face it - describing a world from the point of view of a blind girl that has never actually seen it is genious! The narrator's descriptions not only makes the reader visualize, but smell and taste and FEEL the world she is living in - I find this story telling utterly outstanding and the author - a mastermind. Storywise, it got more exciting towards the middle of the book. I loved reading about characters I got to know in the previous part, and again I applaud the author for making such distinction between Oree's and Yeine's points of view of - because their perception of things is very different, they have essencially different opinions about people surrounding them (though, I must admit, it broke my heart that Oree saw Sieh mostly as spoiled, angry, and cruel child - because Yeine saw more good in him and loved him unconditionally). ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
The Broken Kingdoms is the second in Jemisin’s Inheritance trilogy. Despite that, I believe that you could read The Broken Kingdoms independently of its predecessor, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. However, I did like The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms better, so I would suggest starting with that book.

The plot springs from Oree Shoth, a blind artist, taking in a homeless man. If you’ve read the first book, you can probably guess who he is. From there, Oree becomes caught up in a conspiracy involving murdered godlings.

Unfortunately, I found this plot rather dull. Oree seems to stumble from one event to the next, and a lot of potentially interesting things happen off page.

Speaking of Oree, I’m not so sure about her being a blind painter. I can understand how she “sees” magic, as I’m guessing that magic is something actually perceived by senses other than sight. However, she also conveniently sees her own paintings? I guess the explanation for this is that her paintings are magic (presumably?), but at a certain point a blind character being able to see things like this becomes questionable. It also feels like she’s using the trope of “the blind can see things other people can’t.”

I didn’t find the romance scenes as bothersome as in The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but that’s not saying much. I did skip one scene near the end, but the rest were at least readable. I think the problem is that you know practically from the get go who Oree’s going to end up with, even if it makes zero sense. The romance is then foisted in with tired old tropes like “love interest is injured and must be warmed with body heat!” This is entirely groan worthy and characterizes most of Jemisin’s attempts to write romance.

On the bright side, I loved the descriptions of the city, which is overshadowed by a giant tree. Jemisin really managed to create the feel of a strange and magical place.

Anway, overall I felt lukewarm about The Broken Kingdoms. I will read the sequel, and hopefully I’ll like it more. I guess I would recommend The Broken Kingdoms to people looking for an urban fantasy that’s a bit different or to people who want to know more about the world of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 9, 2015 |
This is a very different kind of book than it's predecessor The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, and can almost stand as a stand alone if more about the world was explained like it was in the first book. The characters from the first book only make a few appearances. I enjoyed reading the book; I stayed up way late to finish it last night, but at the same time I don't know what to think of it. I liked it, but I didn't like the ending. I like to get closure and I don't feel I got any here. With most trilogies you can just say that the next book will have that closure, but with this trilogy which each book focused on a totally different cast of characters, I don't feel that I can expect that. But the story was intriguing and kept me reading. I haven't decided if I'll read the third book or not. The writing isn't too bad and the stories are good, but we'll see. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 1, 2015 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I remember that it was midmorning.

After a band of killers begins murdering godlings, blind artist Oree Shoth wonders if her recent guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in danger.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

142 wanted3 pay6 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043966, 0316043958

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible