The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

The Broken Kingdoms (edition 2010)

by N.K. Jemisin

Info:Orbit (2010), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, BOX10
Tags:Fantasy

The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

I liked the first one better, but this wasn't bad. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
See the complete review posted on Book Frivolity. Check out other Fantasy and Historical Fiction ruminations there as well! I actually read this the first time a few years ago, but I felt the need to revisit Jemisin’s works. She always inspires me when I'm in a creative writing slump, due to her immense ability to create such unique world's and characters. She plucks out the most terrifying prospects for a writer, (in this instance, the main protagonist being blind) and makes them work to her advantage.

I admire her and I admire her work, and I would buy copies for all my aspiring fantasy author friends, if somebody simply gave me the money to do so.. (hey, I'm not Oprah ok!?). ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
I enjoyed the second book as much as the first. This is the first time in a long time that I'm finishing one book and immediately moving onto the next in the series. I usually take a little break and go back to the next book a little later. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
Oree is blind, but she can see magic. She fled to the city after her father's death, and now makes a living selling trinkets to the pilgrims who flock to worship the new godlings. It has been ten years since Yeine became a goddess, broke the shackles binding the Darklord, and exiled the Bright lord to live as a mortal. Since then, the formerly exiled godlings have rushed into the world, gaining followers among humans--and even becoming friends with them, as in Oree's case. When Oree stumbles upon a dead godling, she becomes part of a conspiracy that seeks to change the very universe.

The world-building is top-notch, possibly even better than the first book.

review tbc ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Jemisin is pure pleasure for me. I love her blend of good, solid story telling, ability ignore gender norms without being preachy, identifiable female characters, and basic diversity of folk. Her books are like candy... but the healthy kind.

I took forever to get to this volume of the Inheritance Trilogy. It comes in an omnibus, but honestly I dislike such thick editions... and I kept only finding that edition in the bookstore. Finally I ordered books 2 and three; I'm saving the last of the series for a month or so from now.

The story isn't perfect. Sometimes it drags a bit, and sometimes Oree, the main character, is just a little too perfect - even as she becomes pawn to one powerful entity after another. There is a touch of melodrama.

And yet: I carved moments out for this book. I cared about Oree, and I felt the indignities poured upon her. I wanted her to win. I had fun with the switch in perspective with book two; yes it's a sequel, but the story picks up from an entirely different perspective from book 1. And, the final book of the series is from yet another point of view. Oh, yes!

I didn't mind being under-the-weather (much, anyway), because it gave me an excuse to lay in bed and read. How delicious, to just dive into a story and taste the salty sweetness. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Feb 22, 2016 |

Jemisin, N. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, CasaundraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I remember that it was midmorning.

After a band of killers begins murdering godlings, blind artist Oree Shoth wonders if her recent guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in danger.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

143 wanted3 pay6 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316043966, 0316043958

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,477,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible