American Assassin: A Thriller by Vince Flynn

American Assassin: A Thriller (edition 2010)

by Vince Flynn

Member:kittyhorse
Title:American Assassin: A Thriller
Authors:Vince Flynn
Info:Atria Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2

American Assassin by Vince Flynn

Recently added byDiana_Long_Thomas, JPJ74, K.Nielsen, BookHavenAZ, novunus, private library, GRVC, AshLMT, KyleBoncelet

I love that my library has Overdrive, I can get so many audiobooks to listen to while doing various things during the day. This book has been on my want to read list forever, but it wasn't one that was at the top of my list to actually pick up and read. That's why I was so happy to be able to get the audiobook. I first heard about Mitch Rapp from a fanfiction author I used to read. She put up a list with characters she loved and listed the series they were in. I thought this series sounded interesting and wanted to give it a chance. This was one recommendation that was spot on for me. I enjoyed the book and will definitely be listening/reading more of this series. This book is about why Mitch Rapp decided to follow the path he's on. His training and first assignments as an assassin. This is more of an espionage thriller than a mystery, but still a great book. There is a small relationship in the book but the sex scene is a fade to black rather than something explicit. So that will be a plus for many. I do suggest trying this series, it has a lot of current world events in it, and I felt that it made the book more realistic with what it was portraying. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Feb 20, 2017 |
Though written 10 years after the first Mitch Rapp novel, this is actually the first in the timeline. Throughout the later books we’ve read about Mitch’s reason for joining the CIA’s counterterrorism task force and how he’s become a CIA superagent and assassin. This is the story of how he got to where he is – his high school/college sweetheart killed by terrorists on Lockerbie 103, the recruitment by Irene Kennedy and the spy craft/killing techniques taught by Stan Hurley.

Mitch Rapp has, for years, been one of my favorite characters.

Rating: 4.75 ( )
  bhabeck | Jul 18, 2016 |
A look back at how Mitch Rapp became the person he is. Gives a good insight into the start of his career. ( )
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
I still hate Stan Hurley but I have a new respect for him. ( )
  Rich_B | Jun 2, 2016 |
got a bit distracted by purchasing some new books so I quit reading, thinking I'll go back. Still haven't got back to it, but I will. Interesting read. I usually don't get into spy novels however it's well written. ( )
  debbie-1955 | May 7, 2016 |

Vince Flynnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Before he was considered a CIA superagent, before he was thought of as a terrorist’s worst nightmare, and before he was both loathed and admired by the politicians on Capitol Hill, Mitch Rapp was a gifted college athlete without a care in the world . . . and then tragedy struck.

Two decades of cutthroat, partisan politics has left the CIA and the country in an increasingly vulnerable position. Cold War veteran and CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield knows he must prepare his people for the next war. The rise of Islamic terrorism is coming, and it needs to be met abroad before it reaches America’s shores. Stansfield directs his protÉgÉe, Irene Kennedy, and his old Cold War colleague, Stan Hurley, to form a new group of clandestine operatives who will work outside the normal chain of command—men who do not exist.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141659518X, Hardcover)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Vince Flynn returns with yet another explosive thriller, introducing the young Mitch Rapp, as he takes on his first assignment.

Two decades of cutthroat, partisan politics has left the CIA and the country in an increasingly vulnerable position. Cold War veteran and CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield knows he must prepare his people for the next war. The rise of Islamic terrorism is coming, and it needs to be met abroad before it reaches America’s shores. Stansfield directs his protégée, Irene Kennedy, and his old Cold War colleague, Stan Hurley, to form a new group of clandestine operatives who will work outside the normal chain of command—men who do not exist.

What type of man is willing to kill for his country without putting on a uniform? Kennedy finds him in the wake of the Pan Am Lockerbie terrorist attack. Two-hundred and seventy souls perished that cold December night, and thousands of family and friends were left searching for comfort. Mitch Rapp was one of them, but he was not interested in comfort. He wanted retribution.

Six months of intense training has prepared him to bring the war to the enemy’s doorstep, and he does so with brutal efficiency. Rapp starts in Istanbul, where he assassinates the Turkish arms dealer who sold the explosives used in the Pan Am attack. Rapp then moves onto Hamburg with his team and across Europe, leaving a trail of bodies. All roads lead to Beirut, though, and what Rapp doesn’t know is that the enemy is aware of his existence and has prepared a trap. The hunter is about to become the hunted, and Rapp will need every ounce of skill and cunning if he is to survive the war-ravaged city and its various terrorist factions.

As action-packed, fast-paced, and brutally realistic as it gets, Flynn’s latest page-turner shows readers how it all began. Behind the steely gaze of the nation’s ultimate hero is a young man primed to become an American Assassin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

Follow Mitch Rapp, as he takes on his first, explosive counterterrorism assignment.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,389,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible