American Assassin: A Thriller by Vince Flynn

American Assassin: A Thriller (edition 2010)

by Vince Flynn

925None9,431 (3.95)10
Member:kittyhorse
Title:American Assassin: A Thriller
Authors:Vince Flynn
Info:Atria Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2

American Assassin by Vince Flynn

I wanted to like this, but whoever proofread this needs to be fired. Really made me second guess reading the rest of this series. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
I have read other Mitch Rapp novels and was now going back to the original. It was interesting to see his origin after having read of his exploits in other novels. This novel starts off with Mitch being recruited for a black ops, off the book role as an assassin, taking out the worst of the bad guy terrorists. Mitch immediately develops a hate/hate relationship with his mentor Stan Hurley, who thinks that Mitch must be lying about his background, since he is so far advanced for where he should be. He rapidly moves through the training program, even besting Hurley in hand to hand combat in their first encounter. Before long he moves off to working with Hurley in assassinating targets abroad, until Hurley and his other partner are captured by terrorists in Beirut. In a suicidal mission, Mitch lets himself be captured in order to rescue them.

This is an enjoyable novel in many ways. Most of it centers around the Mitch Rapp character. He is a complex and fascinating character, far more interesting than his contemporaries Jack Ryan and Jason Bourne. The pace was a little slower than most of Rapp’s novels, since he has to go through a good deal of training before he becomes who he is. The plot was strong and ended with a bang. The writing is not as tight as it is in future novels. I wasn’t fond of the universal point of view that Vince Flynn employed. All in all, this was a good novel that fans of action thrillers will enjoy.

Carl Alves – author of Reconquest: Mother Earth ( )
  Carl_Alves | Mar 3, 2014 |
Cotton candy for the action-addicted reader: a one-dimensional recently-graduated college student is trained to kill for the United States government, then blows away a bunch of one-dimensional enemies in the Middle East.

wrk1 | Jan 15, 2014 |
I'm a sucker for backstories, and this one does not disappoint. Seeing other characters from later books as younger and more active is great too. Could have done without the prolonged torture scenes, though- definitely not for the faint of heart! ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
Revenge simmers in the heart and soul of a young man who has lost the love of his life at the hands of terrorists. His only goal is to see them die. That works out perfectly when he is recruited by a covert group under the CIA to take out terrorists one by one, even those that help the terrorists. What he finds in the covert operation is an older version of himself who is not keen on having him on board. What will the new recruit do to show them that he has what it takes and then some? Rebellion and blood.

This is a generally fast paced story. Most of it is not cloak and dagger, but it goes through this recruitment and training as well as the plans of his first assignment. Nothing slows down too much. Even with the backstories being revealed, you'll want to keep reading and not put it down.

The storyline is great. It kept me hooked. I read a lot of espionage type of books and usually enjoy them all. Sometimes you find one that seems to be too much like the others. This book is not one of those. I could easily compare it to many of my favorite espionage authors, but it is still unique enough to stand on its own.
The characters are wonderfully developed. I found myself falling in love with Mitch, the main character, but also enjoying the others he came in contact with. They were realistic enough to be drawn to yet were unique enough to be fictional. I think Hurley was my favorite despite his bad attitude and arrogance toward Mitch. As the real Hurley came out, you found a man that was much more than you had originally seen.

There is a lot of violence in this book. Executions occur. Torture is described in such detail that I actually had to skip a couple of paragraphs because I was about to scream out in my pain myself. Sorry, but having my nails pulled out doesn't feel good to me.

I only mention editing issues when I'm reading a published version of a book. I was rather shocked at the amount of editing issues I found in this hardcover book. Periodically, words would be missing from a sentence which would require me to read it several times to figure out what was meant to have been said. The worst was when I found the wrong names used. One man is being held prisoner and tortured, but he was suddenly speaking in another scene across town. That was rather disappointing.

If you like spies, cloak and dagger, and secrets, you'll love this book. Yes, there is language. There are no explicit scenes. There is violence. Oh, and you'll find a great read. If you like this genre, go for it. You won't regret it. Despite the editing issues, I loved this so much that I have the rest of the author's books on my wish list.

Note: I received this book from a colleague with no expectation of a positive review. ( )
  RebeccaGraf | Apr 4, 2013 |

Vince Flynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Before he was considered a CIA superagent, before he was thought of as a terrorist’s worst nightmare, and before he was both loathed and admired by the politicians on Capitol Hill, Mitch Rapp was a gifted college athlete without a care in the world . . . and then tragedy struck.

Two decades of cutthroat, partisan politics has left the CIA and the country in an increasingly vulnerable position. Cold War veteran and CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield knows he must prepare his people for the next war. The rise of Islamic terrorism is coming, and it needs to be met abroad before it reaches America’s shores. Stansfield directs his protÉgÉe, Irene Kennedy, and his old Cold War colleague, Stan Hurley, to form a new group of clandestine operatives who will work outside the normal chain of command—men who do not exist.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141659518X, Hardcover)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Vince Flynn returns with yet another explosive thriller, introducing the young Mitch Rapp, as he takes on his first assignment.

Two decades of cutthroat, partisan politics has left the CIA and the country in an increasingly vulnerable position. Cold War veteran and CIA Operations Director Thomas Stansfield knows he must prepare his people for the next war. The rise of Islamic terrorism is coming, and it needs to be met abroad before it reaches America’s shores. Stansfield directs his protégée, Irene Kennedy, and his old Cold War colleague, Stan Hurley, to form a new group of clandestine operatives who will work outside the normal chain of command—men who do not exist.

What type of man is willing to kill for his country without putting on a uniform? Kennedy finds him in the wake of the Pan Am Lockerbie terrorist attack. Two-hundred and seventy souls perished that cold December night, and thousands of family and friends were left searching for comfort. Mitch Rapp was one of them, but he was not interested in comfort. He wanted retribution.

Six months of intense training has prepared him to bring the war to the enemy’s doorstep, and he does so with brutal efficiency. Rapp starts in Istanbul, where he assassinates the Turkish arms dealer who sold the explosives used in the Pan Am attack. Rapp then moves onto Hamburg with his team and across Europe, leaving a trail of bodies. All roads lead to Beirut, though, and what Rapp doesn’t know is that the enemy is aware of his existence and has prepared a trap. The hunter is about to become the hunted, and Rapp will need every ounce of skill and cunning if he is to survive the war-ravaged city and its various terrorist factions.

As action-packed, fast-paced, and brutally realistic as it gets, Flynn’s latest page-turner shows readers how it all began. Behind the steely gaze of the nation’s ultimate hero is a young man primed to become an American Assassin.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:38 -0400)

Follow Mitch Rapp, as he takes on his first, explosive counterterrorism assignment.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible