Autopsia virtuale by Cornwell Patricia

Autopsia virtuale (2010)

by Cornwell Patricia, Biavasco Annamaria (Translator), Guani Valentina (Translator)

Member:saintwo2005
Title:Autopsia virtuale
Authors:Cornwell Patricia
Other authors:Biavasco Annamaria (Translator), Guani Valentina (Translator)
Info:A. Mondadori
Rating:***
Tags:2000, gialli

Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell (Author) (2010)

Recently added byelgeka, jljaina, boogirl13, Antonf, booksmurf, private library, tguinther, vasimon

English (41)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
Patricia Cornwell has been on my To Read Crime List for several years. Now I have read two: First, "Dust" and then this one "Port Mortuary". I read on the flaps that she has won coveted awards and has founded all manner of Institutes. She must be good, but I can't see it. The plots of these two books are preposterously elaborate- it is like a maze of tiny wiggles leading finally back to the start- kind of like all those little wiggles Scarpetta sees under the microscope; more to the point would have been connecting up dotted lines, letting the reader wonderingly follow along. I find Kay Scarpetta to be an Enabler, not in keeping with the portrait the author is wanting to paint. My first encounter with her is in "Dust", not especially thrilling and with "clues" already given at the start of the story which Scarpetta for all her intelligence doesn't act upon. I find this MO repeated in "Port Mortuary"- all the wiggles lead back. The Marino character is beyond belief: I haven't read any of the other books to explain why she would allow such a boring non-thinking person to be her lead investigator. Lucy is far more interesting and so unlikely as to be believed. After all, it's a story. Scarpetta's interactions with Benton are so two-dimensionally portrayed that these people become cardboard. Having said that, there are a few sentences in "Port Mortuary" where Kay Scarpetta recalls her first meeting with Benton. Those are sentences that are alive, the reader feeling the surge between them. Like something that Patricia Cornwell has perhaps experienced herself and has been able to convey superbly. The "Port Mortuary" venue is certainly gripping but entirely unreal. Scarpetta et al may be characters in a novel but even characters in a novel have to eat, drink, nap, wash and all the rest. None of them do any of this and the entire plot takes up about 36 hours straight. No way. And the book could do with better editing. At one point, I thought I had skipped several pages and had to confirm that indeed, I had not. Maybe some paragraphs were lost. So why did I continue to read this? The descriptions of the unusual weapon - which turned out not to be so unusual- were enough to keep me going. But in the end, it's not enough to get me to read any more Cornwell. I hope Sock has a good life. ( )
  HugoReads | Mar 26, 2015 |
I can't remember the last time I thought a new Scarpetta novel lived up to the the early books. This one is long and...ridiculous! All of the action takes place within about 24 hours (how these middle-aged characters are supposed to be functioning so well while suffering from fatigue and sleep deprivation is beyond me--Kay Scarpetta is most definitely not Jack Bauer...). And to say that the plot is coincidence-driven doesn't even begin to convey the absurd convergence of events as the narrative unfolds. But did I read the whole book? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Just don't ask me why. ( )
  LizHD | Mar 25, 2015 |
Written before Red Mist, but I read it after. Very satisfying to know what will happen; didn't ruin it for me, but written in first person which came across as somewhat arrogant and self-congratulatory ( )
  cindyb29 | Jan 12, 2015 |
This Scarpetta book is OK, but not great. It begins with the Dover AFB's Port Mortuary...a flimsy pretense but a great way to emphasize that organization. Although there is a bit of swirling and eddy around technology, the story is all about what happens after the return from Dover and deterioration of her company in Scarpetta's absence. The book then emphasizes Scarpetta, to the detriment of everyone else in the story. Marino, for example, is relegated to the status of a large hulk that can't be trusted. Tell me again why Scarpetta left Richmond? The perpetrator gets caught as always and we move on to another Cornwell novel. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 24, 2014 |
Bit of history first. I loved the Scarpetta novels, I mean really loved them - had them all - hardbacks the minute they came out. Brilliant plots, watching Lucy grow up, loving every minute of her slowly-slowly relationship with Benton. Living every agonising second of her complete and utter grief at his appalling death and then...he comes back to life...just like that. Big emotional event?...nah...if memory serves she passes him on the stairs - no big deal. That is the moment I fell out with Cornwell. I distinctly remember sitting there just open mouthed, re-reading the same bit over and over.

So, it was with some trepidation that I bought Port Mortuary. Thought for old times sake I'd give her another go.

Dear God - how completely and utterly boring is this book? The interminable car journey where Benton and Scarpetta talk to each other as if (a) they barely know each other and (b) English is their third language. I continued reading purely because I wanted to find out what had caused the victims injuries as they seemed so bizarre. Page after page after page of Scarpetta whining on about she's in charge and the paranoia of everyone is hiding stuff from her got very very wearing. When she finally gets to her office, its *I* personally chose my eco elevator, *I* got this *I* arranged that. *My* titanium coated building (what???)

The never-ending disjointed conversation drove me up the wall "I realize I'm perserverating" Now there's a sentence you'll never hear spoken aloud!

Finally - Marino - relegated to the role of a giant labrador, always in the background, a bit dim and tends to jump up and put his muddy paws all over your white trousers.

I wish I'd kept the receipt - there is a sticker on the front saying I can have my money back if I don't love it!
2 vote v4758 | Jul 29, 2014 |

Cornwell, PatriciaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Staci
You have to live with me
while I live it~
Inside the changing room for female staff, I toss soiled scrubs into a biohazard hamper and strip off the rest of my clothes and medical clogs. I wonder if Col. Scarpetta stenciled in black on my locker will be removed the minute I return to New England in the morning. The thought hadn't entered my mind before now, and it bothers me. A part of me doesn't want to leave this place.

When Scarpetta examines a young man's body, she discovers stunning indications that he may have been alive when he was zipped inside a pouch and locked inside the cooler of her new Cambridge Forensic Center in Massachusetts. Various 3-D radiology scans reveal more shocking details about internal injuries unlike any Scarpetta has ever seen. These suggest the possibility of a conspiracy to cause mass casualties, and she races against time to discover who and why before more people die.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,162,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible