Mortuarium by Patricia Cornwell

Mortuarium (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Patricia Cornwell, Carla Benink (Translator), Olaf Brenninkmeijer (Translator), Gerda Wolfswinkel (Translator)

Member:renesl
Title:Mortuarium
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Other authors:Carla Benink (Translator), Olaf Brenninkmeijer (Translator), Gerda Wolfswinkel (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam Luitingh-Sijthoff cop. 2010
Rating:***
Tags:thriller

Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell (Author) (2010)

English (38)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
This Scarpetta book is OK, but not great. It begins with the Dover AFB's Port Mortuary...a flimsy pretense but a great way to emphasize that organization. Although there is a bit of swirling and eddy around technology, the story is all about what happens after the return from Dover and deterioration of her company in Scarpetta's absence. The book then emphasizes Scarpetta, to the detriment of everyone else in the story. Marino, for example, is relegated to the status of a large hulk that can't be trusted. Tell me again why Scarpetta left Richmond? The perpetrator gets caught as always and we move on to another Cornwell novel. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 24, 2014 |
Bit of history first. I loved the Scarpetta novels, I mean really loved them - had them all - hardbacks the minute they came out. Brilliant plots, watching Lucy grow up, loving every minute of her slowly-slowly relationship with Benton. Living every agonising second of her complete and utter grief at his appalling death and then...he comes back to life...just like that. Big emotional event?...nah...if memory serves she passes him on the stairs - no big deal. That is the moment I fell out with Cornwell. I distinctly remember sitting there just open mouthed, re-reading the same bit over and over.

So, it was with some trepidation that I bought Port Mortuary. Thought for old times sake I'd give her another go.

Dear God - how completely and utterly boring is this book? The interminable car journey where Benton and Scarpetta talk to each other as if (a) they barely know each other and (b) English is their third language. I continued reading purely because I wanted to find out what had caused the victims injuries as they seemed so bizarre. Page after page after page of Scarpetta whining on about she's in charge and the paranoia of everyone is hiding stuff from her got very very wearing. When she finally gets to her office, its *I* personally chose my eco elevator, *I* got this *I* arranged that. *My* titanium coated building (what???)

The never-ending disjointed conversation drove me up the wall "I realize I'm perserverating" Now there's a sentence you'll never hear spoken aloud!

Finally - Marino - relegated to the role of a giant labrador, always in the background, a bit dim and tends to jump up and put his muddy paws all over your white trousers.

I wish I'd kept the receipt - there is a sticker on the front saying I can have my money back if I don't love it!
2 vote v4758 | Jul 29, 2014 |
I love the Scarpetta novels. I enjoy the character as well of the style of writing. ( )
  jenwdwrd | Oct 27, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta returns from a year long educational tour with the United States medical examiner's office to find her Cambridge0based medical examiner office in utter confusion and complete disarray. It appears her second in command led the place near to the brink of disaster and she is left to pick up the pieces.
Cornwell's novels still aren't what they used to be. In this one she returns to her earlier format of first person, present tense. While present tense does not bother me, I no longer enjoy first person. The story once again hits close to home as the killer or killers is after one of her own. The ending isn't very satisfying. And it's too long for a novel. ( )
1 vote FMRox | Jun 17, 2013 |

Cornwell, PatriciaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Staci
You have to live with me
while I live it~
Inside the changing room for female staff, I toss soiled scrubs into a biohazard hamper and strip off the rest of my clothes and medical clogs. I wonder if Col. Scarpetta stenciled in black on my locker will be removed the minute I return to New England in the morning. The thought hadn't entered my mind before now, and it bothers me. A part of me doesn't want to leave this place.

When Scarpetta examines a young man's body, she discovers stunning indications that he may have been alive when he was zipped inside a pouch and locked inside the cooler of her new Cambridge Forensic Center in Massachusetts. Various 3-D radiology scans reveal more shocking details about internal injuries unlike any Scarpetta has ever seen. These suggest the possibility of a conspiracy to cause mass casualties, and she races against time to discover who and why before more people die.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,011,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible