Mortuarium by Patricia Cornwell

Mortuarium (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Patricia Cornwell, Carla Benink (Translator), Olaf Brenninkmeijer (Translator), Gerda Wolfswinkel (Translator)

Member:renesl
Title:Mortuarium
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Other authors:Carla Benink (Translator), Olaf Brenninkmeijer (Translator), Gerda Wolfswinkel (Translator)
Info:Amsterdam Luitingh-Sijthoff cop. 2010
Rating:***
Tags:thriller

Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell (2010)

English (48)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
The most disjointed book by Cornwall that has ever come out. It is a fascinating story, but too much. It is hard to feel for the characters because they all veer on the side of being too flawed at this point, almost like a mid-life crisis. The demons of the past have cropped up in so many stories, now the past IS one of the characters. Fielding's past was de rigueur, as was the recent Briggs connection. Unfortunately, the whole locked box/apatheid story could have been a completely different narrative; too many elements all crammed into one made it a convoluted and tangled mess.
I am not used to being disappointed by this particular author and everyone knows I am going to snap the next novel up, but I can not help but point out that I was at times frustrated by the pace and the enormity of detail that all takes place in a two-day period. I do believe the assumption that Scarapetta could go from a pcp-induced rant to being able to sift through data and remains without sleep or food is expecting too much. I want to be clear, each story line and detail was good, just not this particular amalgam in a miniscule time frame. It would be nice to stay within the realm of possibility. Expecting us to believe that Marino, Lucy and Benton and other staff would knowingly allow so much to go awry in Scarpetta's absence is not bearable either. It may also be time for Scarpetta to be able to work a crime scene or case without being in physical danger or under threat herself. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
I have a whole new level of respect for how much thought and background that goes into these books on a scientific level. I enjoyed the book, thought the plot twist happening inside Scarpetta's circle was interesting as opposed to having an enemy "outside the circle." I also closed the book thinking that like in a TV show, this book was also a cliffhanger, a set up for the next book. Scarpetta's world has completely evolved into something that is wasn't before. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I usually enjoy when Patricia Cornwell writes about Kay Scarpetta, but this one was really disjointed. I found myself constantly wondering if I had missed a page. The premise was interesting - it starts with a body that bleeds the day after it arrives at the morgue. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
My least favorite Scarpetta book thus far. I didn't like how Scarpetta wasn't involved in the main crime solving in the same way as she has been in the other books. I felt like there were too many plot lines to follow. Did we know Jack Fielding's history prior to this book? I honestly can't remember that far back. Also, I don't remember any previous book mentioning that Scarpetta had served in the Army. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like too much new information about recurring characters was thrown at me in this book. ( )
  CassandraSabo | Dec 5, 2015 |

Truly awful.
Felt as though Cornwall was being paid by the word and was maximizing payment.
Couldn't listen to the audiobook. Found myself mentally yelling at her to get to the (expletive) point.
  madcatter | Sep 14, 2015 |

Cornwell, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Staci
You have to live with me
while I live it~
Inside the changing room for female staff, I toss soiled scrubs into a biohazard hamper and strip off the rest of my clothes and medical clogs. I wonder if Col. Scarpetta stenciled in black on my locker will be removed the minute I return to New England in the morning. The thought hadn't entered my mind before now, and it bothers me. A part of me doesn't want to leave this place.

When Scarpetta examines a young man's body, she discovers stunning indications that he may have been alive when he was zipped inside a pouch and locked inside the cooler of her new Cambridge Forensic Center in Massachusetts. Various 3-D radiology scans reveal more shocking details about internal injuries unlike any Scarpetta has ever seen. These suggest the possibility of a conspiracy to cause mass casualties, and she races against time to discover who and why before more people die.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,512,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible