Chasing the Night by Iris Johansen

Chasing the Night (edition 2010)

by Iris Johansen

Member:mycswbooks
Title:Chasing the Night
Authors:Iris Johansen
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages

Chasing the Night by Iris Johansen

Recently added byrena75

I really liked the plot, it was interesting and contained many of the CSI type elements I look for. However, there are many characters who were only half developed. I do not know if they are in her other novels, SO, I may revise this review as I read more from Johansen. I just found out that this is a the latest in a series, though I cannot tell from the book where in the timeline it falls. SERIOUS ERROR! I can already tell that Johansen favors a strong heroine or in this case, a few strong heroines. Each character had a rich, serious back story that we only get glimpses of, so I wanted more, More, MORE. There were possible conflicts that never quite reached the boilover point and the dialogue doesn't always reflect the inner struggles of the characters. I would favor a more human vulnerability from time to time over the struggle to always be strong and driven. Great cliffhanger ending that makes me think I missed some MAJOR character development in other works. I did read Silent Thunder by this author and it was unconnected to this story. I will definitely read more. It is clear that each character from this book could have their own spin-off series, so now I have to go and research who is in which book in which order. It would have been nice if this was included IN the book as a guide.
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
I am an avid Iris Johansen fan of any of her books except the Eve Duncan ones. I've read two of them hopeing that they would become as good as her stand alone books or the ones she writes with her son, Roy. But this characters just doesn't change. I think Johansen confuses a strong woman with a headstrong one. Refusing to listen to the advice of other, more knowledgeable, characters just to prove her independence and feminine strengths, only proves the main character is stubborn and foolish, not a strong, smart, capable person worthy of admiration that Johansen makes her out to be. I quickly got to the point that I was tired of hearing about her daughter, Bonnie. The idea of facial reconstruction is such a fasinating subject that I was very disappointed that Eve Duncan is such a stuid, head strong character. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Eve has Catherine drop in on her begging her to help her find her kidnapped son, Luke. Its been nine years and she needs her to do a computer age progression from a photo of him when he was two. Catherine comes from having rescued fourteen year old Kelly a young genius in pattern recognition. Soon they're all in Moscow trying to find Luke. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have been a fan of the Eve Duncan series since its inception, but I must say I was disappointed in this book. It seems that the further into the series Johansen gets, the more unrealistic it becomes. Stock villains and unrealistic dialogue are not helping matters much. I continue to read the series because of Eve and Joe. I am hoping that eventually some resolution to the Bonnie angle will finally be given. It cannot come soon enough for me.

One thing I really did like about this book was the addition of Catherine Ling as a character. I am hoping she will be in further installments of the series. ( )
  alcottacre | Sep 27, 2011 |
Eve Duncan is on another case, this time trying to save an 11 year old boy who has been separated from his mother for 9 years. Instantly forgettable. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Sep 2, 2011 |
Broken bones.

A CIA agent's two-year-old child was stolen in the night as a brutal act of vengeance. Now, eight years later, this torment is something Catherine Ling awakens to every day. Her friends, family, and colleagues tell her to let go, move on, accept that her son is never coming back. But she can't. Catherine needs to find someone as driven and obsessed as she is to help her-- and that person is Eve Duncan. She knows that Eve shares her nightmare, since closure is also something that eludes Eve after the disappearance of her daughter Bonnie. Now, Eve must take her talents as a forensic sculptor to another level, using age progression as a way to unite Catherine with her child. As Eve gets drawn deeper into Catherine's horror, she must face looming demons of her own.

Bonnie's killer is still out there. And a new killer is taunting Eve and Catherine at every turn. Is Catherine's son alive, or not? These two women endure the worst fear any mother can imagine in Iris Johansen's latest thrill ride, a gut-wrenching journey into the darkest places of the soul.

Forensic sculptor Eve Duncan is drawn into the mystery of a child that had been abducted eight years earlier, and must use her skills with age progression as a way to reunite mother and son. But Eve must face looming demons of her own.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Iris Johansen's book Chasing the Night was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible