Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by…

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters

by Natalie Standiford

About: The Sullivan family has done something to offend their Grandmother. If they don't figure it out soon, then their grandmother will disown them. And the family needs to keep their inheritance to "survive". Three of the Sullivan sisters decide to write out letters of apologies to their grandmother hoping to help her forgive them for the things they have done.
Review: Family is a big theme in this book. While they do argue you can tell how much the sisters truly love each other. Most of the time when they're going through hard times they talk to one another. Also this book has an interesting story line. I enjoyed reading each of their stories and getting to know each of their characters better. From the oldest most sensible Norrie, to the rebellious, wild, Jane, to the youngest Sassy, who isn't Sassy at all, but is quiet and a little "out there" sometimes ( she think's she's immortal?). Each of the characters were unique and interesting to learn more about.
The Bad: I didn't even think about this till now that I'm reviewing this story. But why is the inheritance so important.....I mean really, are they going to be out on the streets if they lose it? Does their father or mother not have a job. Sure they'd have to change their life styles a bit and it wouldn't be as extravigant but at the same time, they seem kind of shallow worrying about losing all the money. They don't even seem worried that their Grandmother could be dying!
As a note for the younger readers or parents of them, this books is full language. At least in Norrie's and Jane's story. Especially Jane's story. Sassy's is the only one with no( or at least if so only like 1) bad words.
I don't know......I give this book 2 and half stars because of this. As mentioned above the character's aren't always that likable. And who calls their Dad, Daddyo or their Grandmother, The Almighty. Also the ending of this book is pretty predictable. I couldn't see it 1 hundred percent but I could see something like that was coming at the end. Finally the endings seem uncomplete to Norrie and Sassy's stories....... while I can't go into details without ruining it for you I will say that they needed more closure for me.
Will the Sullivan family re inherit their inheritance? What secrets are the Sullivan Sisters holding? Will their Grandmother and the ones they love ever forgive or understand them? Read "Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters" to find out. ( )
  adventures2 | Jun 9, 2014 |
I don't usually read YA books, but this one sounded so entertaining. It didn't disappoint.

Each of the three sections is written from the perspective of a different sister. But it's not until the second section that connections start coming together and things start really making sense. I finally found myself racing through the pages, eager to find out all the secrets and which one would set the family free from its dire fate.

I won my copy through First Reads. ( )
  Athenable | Jan 10, 2014 |
This was a great read. If you like Gilmore Girls check this out. It's about smart, funny, rich girls and their family issues told through letters.
  StefanieGeeks | Apr 5, 2013 |
A quick, fun read with three very different voices for the three narrators. I really liked the Rashoman style view of events where the three sisters' stories all overlapped. I found the tone to be a little confusing though - at times this seemed like the lightest of frolics and at other times it seemed to be aiming for more gravity. I also really didn't like the dropped Shea bit - Shea texts Norrie and we never find out what that was about? I expected it to be revealed in one of the next two stories, but it was just left there hanging. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
I find it difficult to verbalize just why I adore Natalie Standiford and her novels so much. There's something almost cinematic about them. Her characters are always unique and they seem to sparkle. They catapult themselves off the page and into my imagination so naturally that it's like they belong there. I find that oddly comforting.

I tend to be drawn to love stories and romantic characters, so it's understandable that I particularly liked Norrie's confession. Not only does she fall in love, she blatantly disregards the wishes of her grandmother, the one and only Almighty, to be with her beau. But, even without her role as a star-crossed lover, I'd still identify with Norrie. She's a smart, sensible girl and often makes observations and comments I find myself agreeing with, like: "I had to admit he looked nice. He has very regular features and straight teeth. I'd just read that even, regular features are universally recognized as beautiful. So no matter what I think of Brooks as a person, I'm genetically programmed to find him attractive. I resent that."

I was won over by the straight-talking Jane right from the start of her confession. Jane blogs about her family, primarily Almighty, on the blog myevilfamily.com and her version of family's history is both amusing and relateable. My family is nothing like the Sullivans, yet exactly the same. Despite having a vastly different backgrounds, I can identify with the cynical feelings Jane feels toward her family and her overbearing grandmother, even if the feelings only last during a particularly trying period of time. Every family has a skeleton or two in the closet and issues swept under rug, but sometimes they just won't stay hidden away.

The last confession is Sassy's and it's... interesting. I wasn't quite as taken with this character as I was with Norrie and Jane, so I was happy to find that her section of the novel isn't nearly as substantial as her sisters'. Still, I felt for Sassy. Despite the ridiculousness of her fearful belief that she had committed a horrible crime against her grandmother, especially in light of what she thought she had done, her guilt and fear could not be disputed. I just didn't connect with her character as strongly as the other two sisters.

I loved the entire novel, but I was most taken with Almighty's confession on the last pages. I can't think of a better way Standiford could have finished this novel and I can honestly say I found Almighty's confession the most shocking of all... not only because of it's content, but that Almighty would confess anything, no matter the circumstances.

After reading Standiford's debut, HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT, I had high expectations for her sophmore novel, and I was in no way disappointed. Standiford makes the shortlist of novelists I feel comfortable preordering... and that's saying a lot. ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |
FOR MY FAMILY: MOM, DAD, KAKIE, JOHN, JIM AND GREG
The Sullivan Family's Christmas began in the traditional way that year.

From the author of HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT, the story of a fractured family and three sisters' secrets

The Sullivan sisters have a big problem. On Christmas Day their rich and imperious grandmother gathers the family and announces that she will soon die . . .and has cut the entire family out of her will. Since she is the source of almost all their income, this means they will soon be penniless.

Someone in the family has offended her deeply. If that person comes forward with a confession of her (or his) crime, submitted in writing to her lawyer by New Year's Day, she will reinstate the family in her will. Or at least consider it.

And so the confessions begin....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:03 -0400)

Upon learning on Christmas Day that their rich and imperious grandmother may soon die and disown the family unless the one who offended her deeply will confess, each of the three Sullivan sisters sets down her offenses on paper.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,465,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible