Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by…

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters

by Natalie Standiford

220None52,544 (3.63)8

I don't usually read YA books, but this one sounded so entertaining. It didn't disappoint.

Each of the three sections is written from the perspective of a different sister. But it's not until the second section that connections start coming together and things start really making sense. I finally found myself racing through the pages, eager to find out all the secrets and which one would set the family free from its dire fate.

I won my copy through First Reads. ( )
  Athenable | Jan 10, 2014 |
This was a great read. If you like Gilmore Girls check this out. It's about smart, funny, rich girls and their family issues told through letters.
  StefanieGeeks | Apr 5, 2013 |
A quick, fun read with three very different voices for the three narrators. I really liked the Rashoman style view of events where the three sisters' stories all overlapped. I found the tone to be a little confusing though - at times this seemed like the lightest of frolics and at other times it seemed to be aiming for more gravity. I also really didn't like the dropped Shea bit - Shea texts Norrie and we never find out what that was about? I expected it to be revealed in one of the next two stories, but it was just left there hanging. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
I find it difficult to verbalize just why I adore Natalie Standiford and her novels so much. There's something almost cinematic about them. Her characters are always unique and they seem to sparkle. They catapult themselves off the page and into my imagination so naturally that it's like they belong there. I find that oddly comforting.

I tend to be drawn to love stories and romantic characters, so it's understandable that I particularly liked Norrie's confession. Not only does she fall in love, she blatantly disregards the wishes of her grandmother, the one and only Almighty, to be with her beau. But, even without her role as a star-crossed lover, I'd still identify with Norrie. She's a smart, sensible girl and often makes observations and comments I find myself agreeing with, like: "I had to admit he looked nice. He has very regular features and straight teeth. I'd just read that even, regular features are universally recognized as beautiful. So no matter what I think of Brooks as a person, I'm genetically programmed to find him attractive. I resent that."

I was won over by the straight-talking Jane right from the start of her confession. Jane blogs about her family, primarily Almighty, on the blog myevilfamily.com and her version of family's history is both amusing and relateable. My family is nothing like the Sullivans, yet exactly the same. Despite having a vastly different backgrounds, I can identify with the cynical feelings Jane feels toward her family and her overbearing grandmother, even if the feelings only last during a particularly trying period of time. Every family has a skeleton or two in the closet and issues swept under rug, but sometimes they just won't stay hidden away.

The last confession is Sassy's and it's... interesting. I wasn't quite as taken with this character as I was with Norrie and Jane, so I was happy to find that her section of the novel isn't nearly as substantial as her sisters'. Still, I felt for Sassy. Despite the ridiculousness of her fearful belief that she had committed a horrible crime against her grandmother, especially in light of what she thought she had done, her guilt and fear could not be disputed. I just didn't connect with her character as strongly as the other two sisters.

I loved the entire novel, but I was most taken with Almighty's confession on the last pages. I can't think of a better way Standiford could have finished this novel and I can honestly say I found Almighty's confession the most shocking of all... not only because of it's content, but that Almighty would confess anything, no matter the circumstances.

After reading Standiford's debut, HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT, I had high expectations for her sophmore novel, and I was in no way disappointed. Standiford makes the shortlist of novelists I feel comfortable preordering... and that's saying a lot. ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |
Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters didn’t grab me at first. It definitely started really strange. I was confused by the names (Almighty, Daddy-O, etc) and everyone seemed really snobby and annoying. But I had heard good things about it, so I trudged onward.

And to my surprise, and it was actually really engaging. The characters were very spunky and original. All three sisters, Norrie, Jane, and Sassy were really interesting characters and had such vastly different personalities.

I don’t have favourite sister. I couldn’t choose between Norrie and Jane. I really liked Norrie’s story. It’s probably the only one that I thought would work well as a standalone, but Jane definitely had more personality to me, and I identified with her the most. But I didn’t really like Sassy all that much. By the time I got to her story, I was waiting for the end of the book and I thought she was sort of ridiculous. But she did have an interesting twist on her story, which was cool.

The premise of Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters, like I said, got off to a rough start for me, but I thought it worked out pretty well in the end. It was a really creative way of telling the stories of each one of their stories.

I wish there had been a bit more of the two older brothers, especially Sully. They seemed like they could have had really interesting stories. The ending confused me a little, but overall, I enjoyed Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters. ( )
  hobbitsies | Nov 5, 2011 |
FOR MY FAMILY: MOM, DAD, KAKIE, JOHN, JIM AND GREG
The Sullivan Family's Christmas began in the traditional way that year.

From the author of HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT, the story of a fractured family and three sisters' secrets

The Sullivan sisters have a big problem. On Christmas Day their rich and imperious grandmother gathers the family and announces that she will soon die . . .and has cut the entire family out of her will. Since she is the source of almost all their income, this means they will soon be penniless.

Someone in the family has offended her deeply. If that person comes forward with a confession of her (or his) crime, submitted in writing to her lawyer by New Year's Day, she will reinstate the family in her will. Or at least consider it.

And so the confessions begin....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:03 -0400)

Upon learning on Christmas Day that their rich and imperious grandmother may soon die and disown the family unless the one who offended her deeply will confess, each of the three Sullivan sisters sets down her offenses on paper.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible